Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moon

Persona 5

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Moon said:

The cognitive dissonance with this game is so strong. There are some pretty eye roll-y parts to it but there are also a lot of amazing parts. 

 

And it's probably the best JRPG I've played. 

 

I've been thinking about it a lot, and the way the game handles female characters and relationships seriously damaged the whole thing for me. Sure, you get Sae and Makoto (and Futaba, to an extent), who are solidly fleshed out characters, but at the other end of the spectrum you've got Ann, Haru, Kawakami, Ohya, and Takemi, whose arcs range from interesting but problematic to downright insulting. Ann disappointed me the most, because the game briefly acts like it's going to address her and Shiho's abuse by Kamoshida, and then totally forgets about it after a few hours. It shouldn't be bringing up serious topics like rape unless it's really willing to dig into them and add something to the conversation, and it just falls flat on its face in that respect. That would be bad enough on its own, but then there's the way it objectifies basically every woman in the game (particularly Ann, and even Futaba, who's supposed to be, what, 15?), and how they're all itching to jump in bed with a high school student. It's so uncomfortable and nonsensical, and the few times where Kawakami comments on the inappropriateness of it doesn't even come close to redeeming it. The actual mechanics of the game are great, but it completely fails at whatever social commentary it was attempting.

Moon, wahdiohead and ant man bee like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mnemosyne said:

 

I've been thinking about it a lot, and the way the game handles female characters and relationships seriously damaged the whole thing for me. Sure, you get Sae and Makoto (and Futaba, to an extent), who are solidly fleshed out characters, but at the other end of the spectrum you've got Ann, Haru, Kawakami, Ohya, and Takemi, whose arcs range from interesting but problematic to downright insulting. Ann disappointed me the most, because the game briefly acts like it's going to address her and Shiho's abuse by Kamoshida, and then totally forgets about it after a few hours. It shouldn't be bringing up serious topics like rape unless it's really willing to dig into them and add something to the conversation, and it just falls flat on its face in that respect. That would be bad enough on its own, but then there's the way it objectifies basically every woman in the game (particularly Ann, and even Futaba, who's supposed to be, what, 15?), and how they're all itching to jump in bed with a high school student. It's so uncomfortable and nonsensical, and the few times where Kawakami comments on the inappropriateness of it doesn't even come close to redeeming it. The actual mechanics of the game are great, but it completely fails at whatever social commentary it was attempting.

 

I think you should play Doki Doki Literature Club if you're interested in subversion/criticism of the harem trope.

 

But yes I agree, this seems to be their MO as well, see Kanji and Naoto in P4. It's frustrating too because they brush on these subjects and either end up saying nothing or coming off worse having brought them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mnemosyne said:

The worst part is that Yusuke is one of the best queer characters I've seen in a game, except Atlus forgot to actually make him queer.

 

:lol: yes this felt like a major missed opportunity. Obviously i'm not the best judge of this, but I did feel like he was a good representation for the medium. 

 

:') when he poses Futaba's figures

ant man bee and Moon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think the unintentionally funniest thing in the entire game involves him

 

it's during the summer where people are constantly inviting themselves to LeBlanc. It's a part with no voice acting except for those little audio snippets to flavor the dialogue. Your movie session is over and when you say yes to him after he asks if he can stay longer, the audio snippet comes in and he exclaims, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!?"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Merry Plopmas said:

Does Mementos ever stop being so samey? I've gone down quite far (plobably not THAT far) and it's literally the same thing every level.

 

Not really. The art design just changes slightly with each section. 

Kindergarten Plop likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm finally in the home stretch!

 

Spoiler

Just finished up the part where the real Igor is revealed and you get a new Persona. This has to be the final battle right? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could say that the pyramid palace is the worst one :( 

 

I'm at the last boss.

 

This is how I'd rank the palaces

Spoiler


Kamoshida

Madarame 

Niijima

Depths of Mementos 

Kaneshiro 

Futaba 

Okumura

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shido 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ploppy New Year said:

I've finished the pyramid and I've not even considered dating anyone yet :|

 

I assume if you leave it long enough to find out all the options it's probably too late for some of them?

 

I think I like the doctor.

 

this doesnt really matter as long as you've been leveling your links with them. The Big Decision doesn't come till like like 8 or 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wahdiohead said:

this doesnt really matter as long as you've been leveling your links with them. The Big Decision doesn't come till like like 8 or 9

 

I meant like, aren't there people you don't even meet until late in the year? I dont want to kiss the doctor if someone better is going to come along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ploppy New Year said:

 

I meant like, aren't there people you don't even meet until late in the year? I dont want to kiss the doctor if someone better is going to come along.

 

yeah there are, theres no rush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final boss has me stumped. Particularly when

 

Spoiler

it does that charge attack and kills me in one hit. I keep buffing defense but I die in one hit anyways. And as far as I can tell you can't avoid it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially finished the game at 94 hours :) 

 

A lot of my feelings on the game have been echoed in this thread already. There are some disappointing parts of the game that are only undercut by how many things it does so exceptionally well (possibly better than any JRPG that I've played to date). The combat never got old to me, I love the how the elemental attacks informed how fights were structured as well as the negotiation system. Buffs and de-buffs matter in a way that I haven't seen in a JRPG before and that's great. A lot of the characters were really good even though others were pretty flawed. The arch of the story, while a bit predicable, was very enjoyable. The game has an unparalleled sense of style and one of the best soundtracks in a game ever imo. My main issue with the game stems from the way some of the palaces were structured (particularly towards the end of the game).  The late palaces felt unnecessarily difficult and padded. I don't necessarily feel like they were needless but the Shido palace was particularly bad in this regard. 

 

It felt like a huge journey in a way that really good JRPGs capture. I'm really glad that I saw the whole game through even though it took me so long. It makes me want to dive right into Persona 3 or 4. 

 

Spoiler

Though I may dive into NG+ just to see what that's like :MeGusta-min:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you feel like micromanaging, you can dump auto buffs on one persona and just keep it as your default. 

 

I usually tried to do the following: 

 

Make an autobuff persona

A tanky one

One that can focus on spellcasting

A debuffer

 

Granted, I enjoy doing this shit so you may not want to deal with it

Moon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heart Space said:

 

:lol:

 

Not only does it make it easier, it makes most boss battles take about half as long

 

It's easy enough anyway m8, and none of the boss battles so far have taken that long. The last one I did (the flying woman on the pyramid) was a piece of pish. I haven't got time to mess about with buffing when I'm busy DESTROYING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×