Sign in to follow this  
moose

From Your Corner of the World

I don't think I ever posted this thing about my former high school american lit teacher who was also head of the jornalism staff I was on for one year

http://www.decaturish.com/2017/06/decatur-schools-defends-investigation-of-teacher-accused-of-sexually-harassing-students/

it's way too long so here are some highlights (also long but not as much)

A Decatur High School teacher resigned last month before he was fired for allegedly sexually harassing his students.

The school system’s investigation revealed that the teacher, Jon Reese, was questioned about harassing students 17 years ago. He kept his job, and a record of the incident was not in his personnel file when school officials began investigating him this year. It turned up because the school system’s attorney kept a copy.

“They were aware in 2000 that this teacher was engaged in inappropriate sexual comments and conduct and yet they retained him and took no actions to protect students from future inappropriate actions,” Weber said.

The unraveling of Reese’s career as a Decatur High teacher began in February. He took students on an overnight field trip to north Georgia the weekend of Feb. 25.

During the trip, Reese entered the girls’ room when some of his students were not fully dressed, despite having a female chaperone who could’ve gone into the room for him. He said it was because the students were being too loud.

Reese was not placed on administrative leave until April 12, 44 days after the allegations first surfaced. When asked why he wasn’t removed from the classroom sooner, spokesperson Courtney Burnett said that school officials were still gathering evidence.

“Yes, Jon remained in the classroom during the initial phase of the investigation,” she said. “However, during the course of the investigation, additional information was discovered, and reassignment was determined to be the appropriate action at that time.”

During that time, at least one student said she felt Reese was retaliating against her following the field trip, the records provided by CSD show.

Reese denied this.

“I do not retaliate against students,” he said. “I am direct and honest with students when I have a conflict with their performance or behavior, and I involve parents when their support can be useful. As almost all of the seniors on this year’s media crew can attest, I welcome opportunities to write college recommendations, nominate students for recognition, and serve as a reference for job applications and summer opportunities.”

Once the investigation began in earnest, school officials learned the female chaperone for the trip was Reese’s former student. She hadn’t completed the necessary background checks to travel with his class.

A student on the trip told investigators they thought the chaperone wouldn’t have any real authority because Reese had taught her. The student said they would’ve preferred another teacher to chaperone the trip.

The summary of the investigation said that Reese did not immediately leave the girls’ room when he saw that some students weren’t dressed and talked to a student before leaving.

Follow-up questions uncovered allegations of Reese giving students unsolicited back massages and making comments with sexual overtones. The chaperone on the trip told investigators when she was Reese’s student she received unwanted shoulder rubs and was “weirded out” by them. She said it “tended not to occur” when she got older.

One of his students demonstrated Reese’s alleged behavior to investigators by squeezing her dad’s shoulders with both hands.

According to the notes released by CSD, the student, “Explained the squeeze was hard enough to clearly feel the thumbs in her back.”

Another student compared it with “ways that my boyfriend would touch me.”

Reese said he did not give students back massages.

“I have used touch to re-direct an off-task student, to keep from surprising a student when I approach to inquire about their work, and to acknowledge a student when I circulate during classwork and class discussions,” he said. “This technique was not done in private but in settings where students and I were surrounded by others. Students, parents, nor my direct supervisors made me aware of any concerns about touch this year.”

According to interview summaries, Reese allegedly made “a blowjob joke” to a student. One of his students celebrated her birthday during the field trip. Reese allegedly said, “We can spank you if you like.”

The notes say Reese appeared overly interested in a student’s relationship with her boyfriend.

Reese is alleged to have asked a student what she did when she was alone with her boyfriend and about the size of her boyfriend’s bedroom.

“He said that did not want me to be alone with my boyfriend,” the student told investigators.

Reese did not directly deny these statements, but said he often jokes with his students.

“If my attempts to add humor to a group conversation were off color, I wasn’t aware of it and am genuinely sorry,” he said. “I’m embarrassed to think that something I said made a student uncomfortable. I wish I had been given the chance to address it directly with that student and their parents. It was never my aim to offend anyone.”

Burnett, the CSD spokesperson, said Reese told investigators that he did date a former student. The records released by CSD showed no evidence that the relationship began before the student graduated.

Reese acknowledged the relationship.

“Almost two decades ago, I publicly dated a woman for several years who had graduated from DHS and whose parents were supportive of our relationship,” he said.

Some female students felt uncomfortable around Reese and didn’t want to take his class. They felt that Reese would take actions to retaliate against them. One student said she felt like she was being retaliated against in the classroom after the field trip and alleged Reese made fun of her in front of other students. He was accused of retaliating against another student by leaving her name off a list of editors given to a substitute teacher.

“He is very deliberate and methodical, so it felt retaliatory,” the student said, according to the notes provided by CSD.

In April 1999, the principal at the time, Karen Eldridge, informed Reese that girls on the soccer team felt uncomfortable around him. The girls were concerned about the way he worked with them in the weight room and touched them while coaching. After that discussion, high school officials received a call from a parent who had similar concerns about the way Reese acted around her daughter.

Eldridge gave Reese a list of things that could result in his termination. He was told not to have students in his home or in his car. He was told never to be alone with a female student and if he had to work with an individual student, to leave the door open. He was warned not to physically touch students. He was warned to watch what he said around students and warned not to retaliate against the students who complained.

She concluded her list by saying, “When you take a field trip or athletic trip, you shall have a reliable female chaperone in attendance and present at all times.”

The write-up was supposed to be placed in Reese’s personnel file. When the investigation of the Feb. 25 incident began, the write up was not there.

“He was one of those teachers there that was a can-do-no-wrong type person and parents were very, very supportive of him, and usually when that happens, things die in Decatur,” she said.

“The students were subjected to fear and intimidation when their privacy was breached on the field trip,” she said. “It appears they were ill-informed about how to report what happened to them and could not define what happened as a violation of their rights.”

can confirm, honestly he was creepy af and it's the kind of thing where everyone just kind of knew the rumors but didn't really KNOW that they could actually do anything about it other than try to avoid him. Since he never actually did anything creepy to me I think I didn't realize the extent of it until I talked to other people who hadn't been so lucky, after the fact. 

I did go on a weekend retreat with the journalism staff he headed and I feel like there must have been a female chaperone but can't actually recall one???

these are the only pictures i know of that exist from said trip

1910081_503192176778_1814_n.jpg?oh=ab7691910081_503192181768_2077_n.jpg?oh=e36157addd7ab0145786112819c8129b&oe=5ACE49D6

:mj: 

eeeezypeezy likes this

UN poverty official touring Alabama's Black Belt: 'I haven't seen this' in the First World

A United Nations official who tours the globe investigating extreme poverty said Thursday that areas of Alabama's Black Belt are suffering the most dire sewage disposal crisis of any place he has visited in a developed country.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/environment/2017/12/12/utqiagvik-is-warming-so-fast-noaa-computers-removed-the-data-because-it-seemed-unreal/

Utqiagvik is warming so fast, NOAA computers removed the data because it seemed unreal.

The temperature in Utqiaġvik had been warming so fast this year, the data was automatically flagged as unreal and removed from the climate database. It was done by algorithms that were put in place to ensure that only the best data gets included in NOAA's reports. They're handy to keep the data sets clean, but this kind of quality-control algorithm is only good in "average" situations with no outliers. The current situation in Utqiaġvik, however, is anything but average.

If climate change is a fiery coal mine disaster, then Utqiaġvik is our canary. The Arctic is warming faster than any other place on Earth, and Utqiaġvik is in the thick of it. With less and less sea ice to reflect sunlight, the temperature around the North Pole is speeding upward.

The NOAA Barrow Baseline Atmospheric Observatory, with the Arctic Ocean in the background. (Mike Worley, Bureau of Land Management)

My friend had a cabin about 30 minutes outside of Fairbanks. One summer before the fishing started I busied myself salvaging what we could from his home, as it was swallowed up by a sinkhole caused by melting permafrost.

It was well constructed, so it largely stayed intact and was like some cubist art installation with a normal house tilted 50 degrees sideways. 

That story has me wondering about Sishmareff (sp)? It's likely been washed away into the sea now, no?

magnets☮ likes this

drove to Birmingham for a DREAMer vigil tonight 

Every time I leave one of these things I just feel sooooooo fucking empty

Like, ok, that's it everybody! Maybe I'll never see you again! This is all normal! Bye!

And I always cry at them and always try to hide it because this isn't about me, it's about them, and the people at risk never seem to be crying, and I'm horrified that someone will see me and be like, "ugh, see, nobody even comes to support us, they just come to be dramatic and make it about themselves"

**Update ~~ FOND DU LAC COUNTY — A woman reported missing was located deceased on New Year’s Day Monday, January 1st on the shore of Lake Winnebago.

According to the Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Office, shortly after 4:30 p.m. Monday, they were notified that a 27-year-old woman from Fond du Lac was missing — with witnessed indicating she was last seen on foot leaving an ice shanty on Lake Winnebago.

That was around 1:30 a.m. The ice shanty was reportedly about 100 yards from the south shoreline.

The victim was found dead around 6:30 p.m. on Monday — just on shore near Garden Drive.

The investigation is ongoing.

This is really sad. Also this woman was found right by my older brother/sister's house.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/alaska-dna-ancient-beringia-genome/

A baby girl who lived some 11,500 years ago survived for just six weeks in the harsh climate of central Alaska, but her brief life is providing a surprising and challenging wealth of information to modern researchers.

Her genome is the oldest-yet complete genetic profile of a New World human. But if that isn’t enough, her genes also reveal the existence of a previously unknown population of people who are related to—but older and genetically distinct from— modern Native Americans.

This new information helps sketch in more details about how, when, and where the ancestors of all Native Americans became a distinct group, and how they may have dispersed into and throughout the New World.

The baby’s DNA showed that she belonged to a population that was genetically separate from other native groups present elsewhere in the New World at the end of the Pleistocene. Ben Potter, the University of Alaska Fairbanks archaeologist who unearthed the remains at the Upward River Sun site in 2013 , named this new group “Ancient Beringians.”

inuit.jpg
The discovery of the baby’s bones, named Xach'itee'aanenh T'eede Gaay, or Sunrise Child-Girl in a local Athabascan language, was completely unexpected, as were the genetic results, Potter says.

Found in 2006 and accessible only by helicopter, the Upward River Sun site is located in the dense boreal forest of central Alaska’s Tanana River Valley. The encampment was buried under feet of sand and silt, an acidic environment that makes the survival of organic artifacts exceedingly rare. Potter previously excavated the cremated remains of a three-year-old child from a hearth pit in the encampment, and it was beneath this first burial that the six-week-old baby and a second, even younger infant were found.

A genomics team in Denmark, including University of Copenhagen geneticist Eske Willerslev, performed the sequencing work on the remains, comparing the child’s genome with the genes of 167 ancient and contemporary populations from around the world. The results appeared today in the journal Nature.

ocean, psycho and Pregnant Chad like this

just listened to the first episode of this and damn... it is a tough listen but it is extremely good/important!

‘Atlanta Monster’ is the ‘Serial’ successor you’ve been waiting for

Jan 7 at 1:00AM
$

For Black children growing up on the west side of Atlanta in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, the boogie man was very real.

From 1979 to 1981, 28 children—all African-American and mostly male—were kidnapped and later found murdered in Atlanta. Terror plagued the city’s Black community for three years as police struggled to find the killer, not even sure if all the murders were related.

Despite the mass hysteria sparked by the murders—and the fact that most of them remain unsolved—it isn’t likely that young adults in 2018 have ever heard of the incident. That’s because after investigators arrested a local 23-year-old man named Wayne Williams, who was subsequently convicted of two adult murders and sentenced to two consecutive life terms, the whole ordeal was swept under the rug—despite the fact that Williams still has not been tried or convicted for a number of child murders that police have attributed to him.

That’s all about to change, however. Storytellers this year across multiple platforms aim to inform viewers and listeners about the mystery of the Atlanta murders. But while TV shows like Mindhunter season 2 and FX’s No Place Safe Plan plan to dramatize the story, one podcast hopes to actually solve it.

The first episode explores what it was like to grow up Black in Atlanta in the 1970s and how it was different from the experiences of the white upper class. Lindsey and Albright remind listeners that 1979 was post-Vietnam and post-Civil Rights Movement and the community affected by the murders was the first to feel the benefits of desegregation. Still, tensions were high.

Lindsey interviews members of the Atlanta Black community who grew up in the city’s fourth ward, such as Calinda Lee, who’s now the vice president of historical interpretation and community partnerships at the Atlanta History Center. They provide insight into how it felt to grow up not only Black and poor but also during a period where you could be kidnapped at any moment.

“There wasn’t really a sense that anything was changing in our daily lives except that we were very afraid and our parents were very angry,” Lee said in the first episode. “Every single one of them was not only Black, they were also poor. The neighborhoods from which they were taken were the most vulnerable, most impoverished within the city… All of that definitely conspired to make folks feel like this is something that is happening to the least of us and nobody cares.”

Throughout just the first episode, Lindsey and his interviewees discuss the cultural impact of racial issues during this time period and the community sentiment that the police weren’t doing enough to help. Many believed the KKK was behind the murders and that Atlanta—which was in the process of building its tourism industry—didn’t want to publicly address it in fear that people wouldn’t want to visit.  

Although the series will follow the same format as podcasts like Serial, Albright said he suspects listeners will receive it in the same way viewers received the documentary OJ: Made in America

“The difference here [from Serial] is that this is much more than investigating a cold case or a solved case; it’s exploring Atlanta’s culture,” Albright said. “We want to show [how] it affected people in the city. It goes far beyond true crime, almost like OJ: Made In America. We don’t shy away from race relations and class and how they intersect.”

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/atlanta-monster/

eeeezypeezy likes this

uh no thanks

The proposed legislation will empower American border guards to question and search Canadians using pre-clearance areas, which exist to speed up the travel process. Those searches can include strip searches and internal cavity searches, and a Canadian traveller can be requested to stay put until the border guard is satisfied that their questions have been answered.

The bill would also allow American border guards to override the judgement of Canadian border guards in deciding whether to use these powers on a traveller.

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/12/06/independent-senator-decries-urban-horror-movie-bill-c-23/

ocean likes this