Sign in to follow this  
Heart Space

UK General Election 2017

Jeremy Hunt was doing an annual visit to a NHS hospital. As always he was looking for something to beat the NHS with to show how badly run and loss making things were.
While Hunt was checking the books, he turned to the executive of the hospital and said “I notice you buy a lot of bandages. What do you do with the middle of the roll ?"
"Good question," noted the executive. "We save them up and send them back to the bandage company and every once in a while, they send us a free roll. We recycle whenever possible"
"Oh," replied Hunt,, somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer. But on he went, in his obnoxious way. “What about all these coloured casts you dispense. Isn't it rather a waste of money?"
"Ah, yes," replied the executive, realizing that Hunt was trying to trap him. "We ask that any patient wishing a coloured cast donates £1 which is far in excess of the 10p the colouring actually costs."
Hunt asked a dozen or more questions with similar results. he was determined to fluster the know-it-all executive. 
"Well, What do you do with all the remains from the circumcision surgeries?"
"Here, too, we do not waste," answered the executive. "What we do is save all the little foreskins and send them to government, and about once a year, at this time, they send us a complete prick."

80% of people don't care enough about our NHS to share this.

Condite and eeeezypeezy like this

6 hours ago, Poop Dogg said:

people in the us think this is a model worth emulating 

https://iainmerrick.github.io/tactical-voting/

In my constituency, Labour and the Lib Dems are at each-other's throats because they each think they have the better shot of being the leading non-Tory party in the area.  Labour did much better in the 2015 GE but the Lib Dem candidate this time around has campaigned many times in the community before so is a familiar face.  I personally think Labour have the better case, but I suppose I am invested in that view.

The AV referendum, and in particular the way the campaign was lost for Yes (with a dramatic shift in support from Yes to No), killed my hopes for any change in the electoral system in the UK the near future.  It showed to me that many "soft" supporters for a change in the electoral system also don't want to think through the details of the new system or the consequences (because most people don't want to think about politics for more than a few minutes in a day), and can be easily manipulated into thinking that they would be in some sense disenfranchised by the new system.  That's also why I wasn't surprised there wasn't a change in the electoral system in Canada as had been expected.

6 hours ago, Veronica Lodge said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/10/exclusive-jeremy-corbyns-left-wing-labour-manifesto-leaked/

:)

I loves it. But it sounds as realistic as a class president promising things in a high school film.

Only because Labour won't win, and because it's so different from the guff that normally gets served up. I think plenty of it is feasible if by some miracle Labour did win

Salem and eeeezypeezy like this

25 minutes ago, Heart Space said:

Only because Labour won't win, and because it's so different from the guff that normally gets served up. I think plenty of it is feasible if by some miracle Labour did win

The enduring, fundamental rule of politics - people can do things when you give them power.

Kindergarten Plop likes this

What's all this about a group of 100 Labour MPs wanting to breakaway after the election and form a new centre-left party.

Just what we need lads, a fourth party on the left to split votes with. Well done the lot of yas.

Need to know the names of these MPs.

I bet mine is one of them.

There is no reasonableness to a "quasi-accelerationist" viewpoint though.

Everything else is correct.

Corbyn seems to have delivered a p solid manifesto but it would take years to sell it.

(but lets scrap tuition fees and put an end to any more Free Schools plz)

harcourt and Moon like this

I agree, accelerationism is terrible.

But biding your time to build a base of popular support behind policies that will actually make a difference, instead of grasping for a handhold on a dissolving center, is absolutely what needs to be done.

1 hour ago, tonks said:

What's all this about a group of 100 Labour MPs wanting to breakaway after the election and form a new centre-left party.

Just what we need lads, a fourth party on the left to split votes with. Well done the lot of yas.

Need to know the names of these MPs.

I bet mine is one of them.

There have been mutterings about this since Corbyn's first leadership election, but I remain skeptical as (1) the centre are still confident they'll take over the leadership (by shutting out all possible left-wing candidates after Corbyn steps down), (2) they already had a bad experience of this with the SDP, in short whatever they have won't have the Labour brand or the necessary grassroots support.  If Corbyn remains as leader past September, or a left-winger wins the next leadership election, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Hoogie Boogie Land said:

There have been mutterings about this since Corbyn's first leadership election, but I remain skeptical as (1) the centre are still confident they'll take over the leadership (by shutting out all possible left-wing candidates after Corbyn steps down), (2) they already had a bad experience of this with the SDP, in short whatever they have won't have the Labour brand or the necessary grassroots support.  If Corbyn remains as leader past September, or a left-winger wins the next leadership election, we'll see.

Have you ever thought about trying to become an MP?

Voting for Tory is better then voting for mad man Jeremy Corbyn who just wants to have the world at peace which will never happen he also wants to get rid of nuclear power out of this country which then we will have no protection at all as we have not got an army as it is not to mention he loves terrorists and most people are voting labour because your little man Corbyn said lets have four extra bank holidays he only said that so people would vote labour because your all daft enough he ain't going to make an extra four bank holidays he is going to run the country into the ground even more

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-manifesto-poll-voters-back-policies-jeremy-corbyn-latest-a7731536.html

British voters overwhelmingly back Labour’s manifesto policies, poll finds

Income tax increases and improved workers rights are among proposals strongly supported by the public, survey shows

Kindergarten Plop and Salem like this

3 minutes ago, eeeezypeezy said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-manifesto-poll-voters-back-policies-jeremy-corbyn-latest-a7731536.html

British voters overwhelmingly back Labour’s manifesto policies, poll finds

Income tax increases and improved workers rights are among proposals strongly supported by the public, survey shows

Yes but

17 hours ago, Cheryl Blossom said:

Moon and eeeezypeezy like this