Sign in to follow this  
Heart Space

UK General Election 2017

A Conservative rebel proposed an amendment to the government's EU Withdrawal Bill, demanding a meaningful vote in parliament on the terms of Brexit, which would limit the government's ability to exploit their ministerial powers.  The government opposed it but the amendment just passed, 309-305.  Twelve Conservative rebels voted for, two Labour rebels (Frank Field and Kate Hoey) voted against.

Lights likes this

so pleople keep banging on abt leaving to EU but i keep asking wot were the binifits of being in an up and growing super state whoes laws have supremise over our laws and why we have mp,s who are suposed to make out laws so tooheless ,,,if the EU was that good we would still be in it ,,, ie if the govenment of the day had given us the common market we thoght we were voting for so why bother vote for mp,s that have not kept there word for the past 40 years ,,they keep banging on abt the leavers not knowing wot they were voting for ie the econamy but joe blo gs in the street would not have had a clue becus they dont under stand all the gargan that mp,s come out with so ask the voters wot they wonted and they said OUT  and thet will contue to say out becus why are we paying mp,s 70 plus and do wot brussels tell them ,,roll on march 19 2019 ,,great ,,

Do they want any of those things because they think those things are good, or just because that's what they were used to when they were younger (and therefore happier)? Like when boring people go on about how the best pop music happened to be the stuff that was released when they were teens. In 50 years you'll get cretins on Facebook saying like/share if you remember fidget spinners, light bulbs that were safe and economical, and people not being hung in the streets.

I agree with Stephen Bush on blue passports: they're practical for border officials, in case post-Brexit UK changes their stance on immigration.  The government can put a superficial nostalgic gloss on the change but they're tied to what really won the EU referendum for leave: the prospect of future changes to immigration policy.

I'm still surprised by how small a majority of leave voters (according to the poll) favour bringing back the death penalty.  My understanding was that current support of the death penalty in the UK is roughly on Brexit levels.  In the recentish past it was much higher, and if the public had their way the Birmingham Six would have hanged.

On 27/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, 📚☕H🍎📚 said:

I'm still surprised by how small a majority of leave voters (according to the poll) favour bringing back the death penalty.  My understanding was that current support of the death penalty in the UK is roughly on Brexit levels.  In the recentish past it was much higher, and if the public had their way the Birmingham Six would have hanged.

They’re probably against it because they know they’ll be the first victims of it once I’m in charge :) 

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/01/04/Petition-to-put-crowns-back-on-the-pint-glass-will-restore-faith-in-Brexit

Petition to put crowns back on the pint glass 'will restore faith' in Brexit

An online petition has been launched to restore the crown emblem to British pint glasses, in a move supporters say will “restore faith” in Brexit in a similar fashion to the return of the blue passport.

Petition-to-put-crowns-back-on-the-pint-

banh mi and Heart Space like this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/11/nigel-farage-backs-fresh-brexit-referendum-to-kill-off-issue

Nigel Farage backs fresh Brexit referendum to 'kill off' issue

Ex-Ukip leader believes second poll would settle issue for a generation because result would be the same as the first

farage-ukip-plane-_3230092k.jpg

Nigel Farage has proposed a second referendum on leaving the EU to settle the issue for a generation, as he believes the result would be the same again. The former Ukip leader suggested another poll would ultimately kill off the campaign for Brexit to be reversed, which is championed by remainers such as Tony Blair, Andrew Adonis and Nick Clegg.

Speaking on Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, he said: “My mind is actually changing on all this. What is for certain is that the Cleggs, the Blairs, the Adonises will never, ever, ever give up. They will go on whinging and whining and moaning all the way through this process.

“So maybe, just maybe, I’m reaching the point of thinking that we should have a second referendum on EU membership … unless you want to have a multiple choice referendum, which would confuse people. I think that if we had a second referendum on EU membership we would kill it off for a generation."

I wonder what his fans think of this? :|

ocean likes this

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/corbyn-ally-chris-williamson-quits-amid-council-tax-row_uk_5a577d69e4b0616638288b7c?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000001

Corbyn/McDonnell's pandering to old, rich people may be the worst political thing I've ever seen, and I've seen my posts.

Although the guy sacked was an antisemitic old goon, so at least he was sacked, even if it was for the only sensible thing he's ever said!