Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Trott

Destiny 2

Live stream reveal in about 45 minutes. It's gonna be huge whatever anyone thinks of the first one. 

Interesting to see what the expansion to PC means will be added to the game. I think it might result in more of a lean towards MMO type gameplay being integrated. The PC community tend to be less forgiving over some of the bullshit we saw with the first one, so they will need to avoid that. 

My main hope right now: separate PvP/PvE balancing. 

pretty underwhelming!

pretty much just Destiny 1.5, and i understand it's basically just ridding itself of last generations infrastructure but it wasn't super exciting to see pretty much the same game

Strange to see Blizzard letting Activision putting games on their platform (yes, I know they're both part of the same company). Battle.net just seemed like this focused platform for only Blizzard titles, but now you'll have Destiny on it. Hopefully it won't get diluted with CoD shite though.

Not complaining though, I prefer Battle.net to Steam. Less clutter, never crashes, never bugs out.

Will have to look into finally playing Destiny now as well.

19 hours ago, Jonathan Trott said:

Battlenet has strict anti cheat dealings too. Which is good as DDoS'ing has become a big problem in destiny. 4k uncapped FPS on pc

No dedicated servers and coming out later than console version :W

4k uncapped garbage

I played Destiny until I hit the original non-light-level cap or whatever and got bored with it. Apparently they completely revamped the leveling system, and it became fun again, so someone talked me into buying The Taken King expansion....which I literally never played :lolsad: Bungie laughing all the way to the bank!

:lol: i wouldve dumped it long ago if i didnt have a party of friends to play with. My friends are looking at this one and sighing, so I have no reason to buy this at launch

1 hour ago, Hentai67 said:

No dedicated servers and coming out later than console version :W

4k uncapped garbage

*Sigh* it has been confirmed then. It will be slaughtered by the pc community. 

Much more focus on the story and patrol/ social hubs being in the open world by the looks of it would be great step ups from 1. In game LFG is a very handy addition too. Still a bit gutted about the subclasses they've revealed. Feels like it has been dumbed down. I think theyve really catered more to the solo player for the sequel

I remember when the first one came out they had some elaborate 10 or 20 year plan for the game, are they still following that?

1 hour ago, Palo said:

I remember when the first one came out they had some elaborate 10 or 20 year plan for the game, are they still following that?

10 year publishing deal with Activision I believe. Destiny 2 release marks the start of year 4. 

The PC version is looking very nice indeed. It's also not a port and has all those settings options the pc bunch love. A delayed release for it is probably quite a good sign. 

On 18/05/2017 at 5:15 PM, Jonathan Trott said:

separate PvP/PvE balancing. 

Right now this could not be more obvious. 

Anyone else played/going to try out the beta. It's worth 20 minutes of your time just to play the homecoming story mission if nothing else. 

Played a bit of the beta but it kept dropping connection and starting me at the beginning of the mission. That I even have to play the mission before PvP is d u m b

played a nice bit o PvP, it felt... odd

not in a bad way. Guns in general are weaker than D1 and abilities take longer to recharge, the game just plays slower now. On top of snipers and shotguns being heavy weapons, it feels like you have to put in effort to kill people now, which is good! no more run and shotgun or sitting back and sniping 12 straight kills.

If you can get into the strike with 2 pals do it. Because you can then go off and explore quite a bit at the start and that was really interesting. Clearly quite a number of secrets and new activities just in that little area alone. 

Also, I've read that grenade damage is being buffed in PvE, the gear we had offered nothing towards ability cool downs and power ammo drops will increase. 

I love the new set up with the guns, feels so much more flexible having 2 primaries. 

so i did put a lot of hours into Destiny 1. yes, it was super repetitive, and no story to speak of, but that's kind of the nature of "mmos" right. and shooting mmos are gonna be shorter/easier since you can shoot people. but i did play it all the way through The Taken King dlc, since i had enough friends on it regularly to fill a raid team; it actually is quite fun playing cooperatively with a group like that (not unique to destiny of course, i enjoy raiding in FFIXV as well), and overall the gunplay, combined with the various supers and grenades were quite fun in PVP. not to mention i was absolutely crushing pussies in crucible but that's unrelated. so i already know i will get destiny 2. unfortunately it will probably be on ps4 because of my friends. i will give the pc beta a go though. of course with the addition of a native LFG function in destiny 2, I may be able to play on pc with people anyway.

thoughts so far: hunters continue to get the hate they do not deserve. anyone who plays destiny knows the warlocks get the most love from bungie, followed by titans. consequently, i usually view warlock mains as people who are not advanced gamers and are not fit to lead a fireteam. you will usually see warlocks rage-quitting on the jumping puzzles. titans are fine, as they are actually useful. hunters are about as close to a "glass cannon" class as destiny had. if you knew its strengths you would absolutely dominate in pvp with it and pve. if you were inaccurate or impatient you looked ridiculous. as destiny grew, hunters only got more and more shafted while warlocks got as much help as possible.

in the destiny 2 beta it seems this has continued. the hunter's blade dancer is replaced by a pole dancer. it is essentially the same power, with some extra flips and combos added. there is no long range attack on it. in pvp enemies can simply turn around and run as fast as they can to avoid getting pole-danced. meanwhile, titans get to keep their bubble, but also gain a shield if they chose so instead. this shield is essentially the blade-dancer power, except you can throw the shield like captain america for the long range attack (and it has the potential to ricochet off multiple enemies), and block gunfire with it. the warlock gains a solar sword that obviously kills on melee attacks, but they also gain increased hovering time and the ability to throw firebolts from the sword, so it becomes a crazy AoE from above. i believe it can also block shots like swords did in d1. so to our knowledge so far, the titans their bubble/captain america shield and they also have their arc strike super, which is now roaming (can slam the super 4x i believe) and it's a OHK AoE attack. the warlocks have the solar sword and the void bomb, which now is slower, but doesn't appear to have any drop when shooting it. it's also an AoE super. the hunters have the gunslinger, which is 6 solar OHK shots, but not AoE, so if you actually have to hit them; and the pole-dance ability, which also is not AoE nor long-range.

Moving onto the third ability. Titans have gained a wall they can throw up - either a larger one or a smaller one you can take cover against, and it automatically reloads your weapon. the latter is especially useful in pvp. the warlocks have a circle of power they can throw down which either heals you or increases weapon damage. in the strike, i was standing in the vex milk at the final stage of the boss, getting shot by enemies, and i still wouldn't die if i had thrown down my healing rift. So it's quite good. hunters have "gained" an agility move which either reloads their weapon instantly or reloads their melee attack - IF THEY PERFORM THE AGILITY MOVE WHILE SURROUNDED BY ENEMIES. however, after you spend this move, you cannot dodge again until it recharges. additionally, the dodge move is not the same. if you choose to have it reload your weapon, your hunter will do this weird 360 degree twirl. and you're about 2 feet to the right of where you were previously. believe me when i say it is not throwing off enemies in pvp AT ALL. the dodge for the melee recharge is like the old tumble for the void-bow hunter in d1. tying the agility move to the third ability is a huge mistake, especially when you consider that warlocks have a mid-air dodge they can use that has a much shorter cooldown time and titans still have their shoulder charge, i believe. the hunter third ability does not contribute anything to their fireteam members at all. and since the effects are instantaneous, it often feels like a much longer recharge time than the titan wall or warlock circles, since those last for around 15 seconds and the ability re-charges while the effect is still active. the hunter third abilty is probably the most useless thing i've ever seen in destiny. there is no strategic advantage at this point to bring a hunter on a raid or pvp outside of deathmatch. i really hope this is changed soon.

i really wish peter dinklage would do the voice again. he wasn't perfect and there were some jarring tone changes in his readings, but the current voice of the ghost just makes me feel like i have a gay butler in my backpack. the strike was especially horrendous, as my guardian was forced to listen to his bickering with the other AI voice, which by itself is also really bad. it's also really sad watching my guardian have to mime out how sad she feels after seeing her ghost get kicked off a ship. the decision to have the guardian stop speaking is really weird.

gunplay is of course solid. scout rifles and handcannons feel really good. auto rifles are still the weak link imo. i do like the grenade launchers but i am not sure if i like having sniper rifles in the heavy weapons slot. i also hope we are able to place weapons in which ever 2 slots we want, currently the weapons are locked into whatever slot bungie put them in. i do thin that will be the case since i saw submachine guns on both the primary and secondary slots. the competitive mode on pvp is probably going to by my most played mode going forward, instead of control or rumble.

will think of more later during work

It's quite obvious that titan's receive the most love. You talk about hunters now adding nothing to a raid team but warlocks were in that position for most of the first 3 years. Hunters had shadowshot. The best raid super in the game. 

I will say I at least used to run sunsinger and not use rez, with the sunbreaker gauntlets. Double solar grenades and Viking funeral was suuuuuper op, man when in radiance.

Just now, Jonathan Trott said:

It's quite obvious that titan's receive the most love. You talk about hunters now adding nothing to a raid team but warlocks were in that position for most of the first 3 years. Hunters had shadowshot. The best raid super in the game. 

I will say I at least used to run sunsinger and not use rez, with the sunbreaker gauntlets. Double solar grenades and Viking funeral was suuuuuper op, man when in radiance.

Congratulations, this is the nerdiest post I've ever read in my entire life.

Hunters are awful in 2, which sucks because they're mostly what I played in 1. Dunno what they thought with that class ability.

it's baffling how much trouble they have with only 3 classes. At this point, what is hunter's role? because it surely isn't DPS. 

The cooldown on that skill is a lot less than the other 2 class skills. Someone on Reddit suggested that it also grants 5 seconds of invisibility which would make it a great skill and fits with the hunter class perfectly.

Edit: I would also LOVE it if the 3 classes became genuine tank/support/dps