Sign in to follow this  
📚☕H🍎📚

The Whiskey Thread

This is as good a thread as any...

Have you guys heard of this Morning Recovery stuff that's being advertised all over facebook? Apparently some silicon valley douche looked into the science behind korean hangover cures and found that they actually work, so he came up with some vitamin fortified fruit flavored version that he's selling in the states now. I drink a lot so I bought a six pack of them just to see if they work. Last night I drank a bottle of sake, knowing that it would normally make me miserable in the morning and bracing myself for that to be the case, but I drank one of those morning recovery things before bed and I woke up feeling totally fine in the morning, no headache or nausea. It's witchcraft and I'm wondering if there's some way to get the magic tea without spending nearly $30 for a six-pack of 3.4oz bottles.

c.i., ocean and Kemper Boyd like this

There's some chemical in a tree native to korea that combines with the toxic byproducts of alcohol metabolization and makes them easier for your liver to deal with, so they don't build up as much. And those toxic byproducts are the usual cause of hangovers. That's the explanation on the morning recovery site anyway.

Apparently there are a bunch of different things marketed as cures there, ranging from stuff like this tea to glorified energy drinks.

ocean, psycho and Kindergarten Plop like this

If you like peaty single malts but not the price Islay Mist is a good alternative - it's blended but the primary whisky is Laphroaig. I didn't know that when I bought it but the first sip was a glorious surprise.  Teachers is another good blend.  It's rich with nice caramel notes a bit of peat.  Bowmore is my go-to when I have a bit of extra cash lying around. 

1 hour ago, eeeezypeezy said:

Have you guys heard of this Morning Recovery stuff that's being advertised all over facebook? Apparently some silicon valley douche looked into the science behind korean hangover cures and found that they actually work, so he came up with some vitamin fortified fruit flavored version that he's selling in the states now. I drink a lot so I bought a six pack of them just to see if they work. Last night I drank a bottle of sake, knowing that it would normally make me miserable in the morning and bracing myself for that to be the case, but I drank one of those morning recovery things before bed and I woke up feeling totally fine in the morning, no headache or nausea. It's witchcraft and I'm wondering if there's some way to get the magic tea without spending nearly $30 for a six-pack of 3.4oz bottles.

i think something similar was mentioned on terrace house :lol: it was called hepalyse or something

On 11/16/2017 at 10:10 AM, eeeezypeezy said:

J4oW7_s-200x150.gif

Link please.

psycho, ocean and eeeezypeezy like this

21 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Just had some Oban 14 year Scotch. First scotch I've had and it was lovely. Very light and pleasant. 

Coincidentally I tried some of this recently too, my parents have had some in their cabinet for years sitting untouched and I had a dram last weekend.  It was delightful -  perfectly balanced

Moon likes this

Had a bottle of this at Thanksgiving. It was a hit and is delicious so I'm getting another bottle for Christmas. Highly recommend it. It's almost like a cross between scotch and bourbon. 

10336130400286.png

This piqued my interest as well so I got a bottle. 

t59916454e_1.jpg

Woodford Reserve was $8 off at the store, but Wild Turkey was $4 off..

$25 vs $13

I got a pint of Woodford years ago for being the best man at my Brother's wedding and liked it very much indeed. Is an extra $12 worth the "better whiskey"? I don't know. Guess I'll never find out heh :smoke1::beer:

Moon, ocean and c.i. like this

Someone got me a bottle of Elijah Craig bourbon (small batch) for christmas and it might be the best bourbon I've tried so far. Beautifully balanced. 

ocean likes this

Yeah I made the mistake of digging through my credit card charges from last year, in order to see if a new card would give me mad points based on my specific spending

Ended up realizing I spent something silly every month on food/drink and a lot of it is gr8 craft beer and scotch. Although I like good whiskey I feel like it's easier to cut back on that than it is to go back to drinking yuengling or something predominately. I'm not too good for that or MHL or PBR but I'd really miss the variety :( 

-justin likes this

Anyone tried that Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold? I got some a few weeks ago because it was cheap (reduced from £40 to £25) and it says on it that it's supposed to be had straight from the freezer :| I tried it like that before I first opened it, and it was fine (though I thought it tasted better at room temperature since I don't usually add ice to whisky). I wouldn't like to risk it once it's been opened though because the cork seems like it'd come out.

Do NOT freeze!

I bought this as a new and interesting whiskey for my husbands birthday. Following advice I hid it in the freezer and then set up a 'treasure hunt' for it. Me and the children thought this was an act of genius! 
When he found it, it was solid frozen and the whiskey had leaked out, leaving him and the children smelling like alcoholics.
Could be that I put it in the chest freezer but the freezing instructions should be more explicit if this is the case.
Disappointed that he can't even taste it

:lol:

Good.

psycho likes this

At the tasting dinner I was at the other night, one of the other guests brought with him a bottle of very expensive single-malt Japanese whiskey and was sharing it with all of us there. I have to say, it was pretty incredible.

Moon likes this