Sign in to follow this  
Roger Sterling

NBA 2017-2018

Definitely feeling the good vibes for the 76ers.

Also: There's a part of me that really wants this whole tanking thing to fail in the end and NOT result in a championship.

I'm very confused. Go Nuggets.

I think bill simmons had this idea but still, the fix for the nba that doesn't cost them revenue is to put every team not seeded 1-3 at the end of the season in a single elimination tourney for the 4 seed, the earlier you go out the higher your pick chances are. This adds a ton of excitement and there's less reason to tank. 

Roger Sterling likes this

19 hours ago, Precocious Child DJ Chloe said:

I think bill simmons had this idea but still, the fix for the nba that doesn't cost them revenue is to put every team not seeded 1-3 at the end of the season in a single elimination tourney for the 4 seed, the earlier you go out the higher your pick chances are. This adds a ton of excitement and there's less reason to tank. 

problems i see with this

1) the only way tanking pays off is if you get a 1-3 seed, so teams will tank anyway

2) why wouldn't you just tank the tourney

3) in a single-elimination tourney half the teams go out first. how are you distributing pick chances then?

5 minutes ago, Hentai67 said:

will sixers or celtics be closer to a championship in 3 years, who YA GOT

also embiid is probably already my favorite current player and i want him so much to not splinter into a thousand pieces

unless lebron decisions again, both are infinitely far from a championship :shrug:

sixers should be the better team, but i too am terrified of our star bigs falling to bits

19 minutes ago, Poop Dogg said:

problems i see with this

1) the only way tanking pays off is if you get a 1-3 seed, so teams will tank anyway

2) why wouldn't you just tank the tourney

3) in a single-elimination tourney half the teams go out first. how are you distributing pick chances then?

No system is without drawbacks and unintended consequences but i prefer these to the current system, which I honestly think is a brutal disservice to the enjoyment of the league. 

It'd carry great embarrassment and shame I think to tank what is a playoff game, at least more than there is now. Teams are shutting down vet players with 15 games to go, it's out of control and awful for fans. 1st round losers should get the same odds distribution for the first round pick, so there's no point to tanking the season at all, and if you want to do it you do it on national tv with everyone watching.

what value is there in winning this postseason tournament? it won't be a championship. and fans are way less tolerant of gimmicky bullshit. why would they tune in to watch more middling basketball from teams who didn't make the playoffs?

The 4th seed. Middling basketball is what the 1st round is now. Plenty of people tune in to watch Colorado state play Purdue in the ncaa tournament, 1 and done is just fun, it's a much more pure way to keep fans of crappy teams invested than the sickness of rooting for the star draft picks that rarely come. Gimmicky sure but change is needed imo. 

harcourt likes this

I have a whole three page proposal complete with graphics and pie charts about how I'd fix the NBA. 

In the process of setting up a meeting but I'm open to feedback until then. 

:) 

sugarface likes this

13 hours ago, Precocious Child DJ Chloe said:

Really don't see how that could have happened without lebrons approval. Probably just setting up a scapegoat for leaving again:spec:

I'm pretty convinced of this 

is it just me or is this type of manufactured drama just way more common now? 

I am making a conscious decision to follow sports, even the NBA, more closely so as to distract myself from politics.

I can't really keep up with some of the storylines this trade deadline day. The Knicks souring on KP is a bit mind-boggling, but Dolan and Phil Jackson kind of suck now don't they?

All the Nuggets fans think Denver needs to score a PG and are talking about CP3 and I just think that is so stupid. Denver doesn't need a top tier PG since Jokic is one of the best distributors in the league. They have three solid backups on the roster. They just need a perimeter defender who can hit the three ball. And they have talent to burn on the wing, especially if they keep Gallo.

Mind, I haven't followed pro ball too closely, so I'm liable to say something stupid. But this is the best time of the year since every fan is full of hope and optimism for their team. So please, @Precocious Child DJ Chloe @Poop Dogg @lukin? feel free to post a lot in this thread and link up to some good takes.

Thanks. :flowers: 

sugarface and Roger Sterling like this

Which is crazy, since their best year was after they traded Iverson for Billups and had that great series against the Lakers.

The Lakers pretty much won that series based on Denver's inability to inbound the fucking basketball.

Still kinda bent about that, tbh. 

sugarface likes this

Denver had Andre Igloudala that year. Denver was the higher seed and Curry and Klay couldn't miss from beyond 3. It was a crazy glimpse of what was to come and the end of Denver as we know it. They fired George Karl and started a half-ass rebuilding process that saw them mediocre enough to not really land the sort of franchise player talent needed in the draft but not good enough for the playoffs. 

Karl had to go, but I'm not too keen on either of the coaches who've been with Denver since.

During that Golden State series things got a little chippy and the Warriors accused Denver of playing dirty. Mark Jackson, the Golden State coach at the time, even said he had it confirmed from a Denver player that there was shenanigans. Igloudala signed with Golden State that summer and pissed off a lot of fans who have pegged him as the mole.

Stupid. AI is legit great and I liked him on Denver that one year. Crazy that a player that good who shoots so well from 3-pt range is such an awful FT shooter, though.

90 minutes!

:popcorn:

sugarface likes this