Sign in to follow this  
Roger Sterling

NBA 2017-2018

Hello friends, I think I like basketball, but don't have a professional team. Help me choose one.

Also, what's the best way to watch games? I know nothing about anything. I've paid attention to my local college team this season and that's it. The last time I actively watched any basketball at any level was when Carmelo Anthony was on Syracuse. Anyone wanna catch me up on things over the past, oh god, 14 years?

34 minutes ago, dunderhead said:

Hello friends, I think I like basketball, but don't have a professional team. Help me choose one.

Also, what's the best way to watch games? I know nothing about anything. I've paid attention to my local college team this season and that's it. The last time I actively watched any basketball at any level was when Carmelo Anthony was on Syracuse. Anyone wanna catch me up on things over the past, oh god, 14 years?

might as well keeping rooting for team melo imo

874074876-oklahoma-city-thunder-v-sacramento-kings.jpg.thumb.jpg.19bb0e85b9a488cbfde98d170afabbdf.jpg

carmelo anthony: "i'm just one of the out of focus guys"

dunderhead likes this

On 12/18/2017 at 12:29 PM, dunderhead said:

Great time to jump on the Celtics bandwagon :) 

On 12/18/2017 at 11:29 AM, dunderhead said:

Wolves are fun to watch, they're young, their fan base is growing. Best of all their announcers recognize the growing fan base so they try to make it easier to recognize what is going on 

dunderhead and sugarface like this

this is old but whatever:

Guide to Becoming an NBA Fanatic

When you hear friends shout the phrases “check,” “brick,” or “from downtown” at the televisions, they’re celebrating the game of basketball. We don’t want you to miss out on enjoying all of the action! Our Guide to Becoming an NBA Fanatic will transform you from rookie to All-Star overnight, and leave you ready to tell others about the difference between a field goal and a 3-point play.

Swish!

Thirty teams across the U.S. (and Canada!) make up the National Basketball Association, better known as the NBA. There are the Eastern and Western conferences, each containing 15 teams; there are three divisions in each conference (six in total). The Atlantic, Central, and Southeast divisions make up the Eastern Conference, and the Southwest, Northwest, and Pacific divisions make up the Western Conference. This format is helpful when coordinating a team’s schedule throughout the 82-game season.

Shot Clock Violation

Each NBA game takes place over 48 minutes, divided into four quarters. After the first two quarters, there is a “halftime” break. At the end of regulation (four quarters), the team with the highest number of points wins the game. If both teams are tied, a five-minute overtime begins. If there is still a tie, the teams continue playing until an overtime period ends with one team ahead of the other in points.

During each game, the clock can stop for many reasons: when a player passes the ball or steps out of bounds, when a foul is committed against another player (rule violation), when a coach or player calls for a timeout, or when a team scores.

Dribbling Down the Court

Each team places five players on the court at a time. While a player may have a specific position based on physical attributes and style of play, there is no requirement for a set number of positions to be present on the floor. For the five positions, each is commonly equated with a corresponding number:

• Point Guard (PG): 1
  • Shooting Guard (SG): 2
  • Small Forward (SF): 3
  • Power Forward (PF): 4
  • Center (C): 5

If you’re trying to associate the names of players you’ve overheard with these positions, here are a few examples of current key ballers:

• Point Guard: Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers; Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
  • Shooting Guard: James Harden, Houston Rockets; Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors
  • Small Forward: Paul George, Indiana Pacers; Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
  • Power Forward: LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers; Blake Griffin, LA Clippers
  • Center: Al Horford, Boston Celtics; Dwight Howard, Atlanta Hawks

During the game, any of the team’s five players on the court may be substituted with another player on the bench. Rotating players in and out of the game can be a strategy – with coaches sometimes looking to match up a type of player against another (for instance, a speedy playmaker versus a strong and tall defender), or just to give their player a break after a long stretch.

Asset_Fanatic_NBA

Mo’ Buckets

There are two phases of the game – offense and defense. These are very fluid in basketball and are interchangeable within seconds. Each team is able to score either one, two, or three points per shot.

• 1 point: Free throws, awarded after a player is fouled in the act of shooting
  • 2 points: Any shot made inside the 3-point line
  • 3 points: Distance shots made anywhere from 22 to 23.75 feet away from the basket (they earn an extra point over a regular shot due to the skill and accuracy required)

Must-See Teams and Players

So now you’re ready to hop on the court and start making threes, but hold on – let’s leave that to the professionals. You need to choose a team with exciting players to follow, and we have a few recommendations:

• Cleveland Cavaliers: Fresh off of winning the 2016 NBA Championship, the state of Ohio and the city of Cleveland are back on top. They are led by one of the best players of the past decade, LeBron James, and the supporting cast is worth watching every time they take the court. Here’s the big question: Will they become repeat champions next season?
  • Golden State Warriors:  the Golden State Warriors, minutes shy of winning back-to-back NBA Championships, are one of the most exciting teams to watch. Steph Curry, the league’s MVP for the last two seasons, leads a team of All-Stars. Another All-Star, Kevin Durant, just made the switch to “Splash City” from the Oklahoma City Thunder.
  • Minnesota Timberwolves: Led by Karl-Anthony Towns, the 2016 Rookie of the Year, and Andrew Wiggins, the 2015 Rookie of the Year, this young, scrappy team looks to take the next step in the 2016-2017 season with a new coach. The Eastern Conference might be in for a major surprise, courtesy of the T-Wolves.

Final Shot

If you’re watching your first full NBA game, here are a few things to keep in mind:

• Each team puts five players on the court.
  • They can score one, two, or three points for a shot.
  • Don’t be surprised if the Cleveland Cavaliers or the Golden State Warriors make it back to the NBA Finals next year; they’re loaded with talent and built to compete for it.
  • And get the best officially licensed NBA apparel and merchandise from Fanatics.com to cheer on your team.
ocean and dunderhead like this

Certainly never visit reddit.com/r/nbastreams  they post illegal streams on NBA basketball games at reddit.com/r/nbastreams and we wouldn't want to support that type of shady activity 

34 minutes ago, sugarface said:

@dunderhead what state do you live in?  i'd recommend picking a team that's likely to be on TV in your area, so that you can actually watch a game once in a while.

New York, but I'm not super hyped about the idea of the Knicks. Every time I visited friends that lived in Brooklyn, I did always love the monstrosity that is the Barclays Center, but aren't the Nets supposed to be pretty awful?

17 minutes ago, dunderhead said:

New York, but I'm not super hyped about the idea of the Knicks. Every time I visited friends that lived in Brooklyn, I did always love the monstrosity that is the Barclays Center, but aren't the Nets supposed to be pretty awful?

oh, right. but like, upstate, right? you could be a raptors fan. good team, fun players, scrappy small market attitude, 'we the north' and all that.

likewise i'd still say the okc thunder are a good option. plus they're on national tv a lot.

the knicks look like they could be making a comeback, poised to have some exciting rivalries with boston and philly? on the other hand, it's a shitty franchise/ownership so i wouldn't hold out hope.

the nets are an awful mess of a franchise, you're right about that.

dunderhead likes this

On 12/22/2017 at 12:05 PM, wahdiohead said:

I'd endorse the Knicks over the Nets, but thats not saying much. Toronto is good and fine, although I think they are doomed to being a good East team that will never sniff a title

Living in Toronto I'd love to see them get to the Finals but if DeRozan and Lowry are your top two players you're never going to win a championship. They'd be fine as your third and fourth best players but not your first and second.