Klee

the BEER thread

Rye of the tiger is great! I'm a big Great Lakes fan in general anyway. The Victory Dirt Wolf took over the spot of Victory Ranch IPA which was not around for very long to begin with.

Rye of the tiger is great! I'm a big Great Lakes fan in general anyway. The Victory Dirt Wolf took over the spot of Victory Ranch IPA which was not around for very long to begin with.

the only victory beer I've ever loved is actually their headwaters pale ale, but they're definitely solid.

and yeah, I live near Great Lakes, local institution for sure.

i agree with all of what CI said

on my recent chicago excursion i made it my goal to try as many beers from the IL/MI/WI/OH area as i could, since i rarely get the chance. rye of the tiger was pretty nice. went to a Revolution brewpub in Logan Square which was rad, the crystal hero IPA was really tasty. other ones i tried are escaping me atm, but i know i had a few good ones by half acre, left hand, etc. left hand's milk stout is creamy goodness.

glad you got to visit revolution. did i mention they made the movie "drinking buddies" there? that's what everyone in chicago is supposed to say. kinda like how we all have to point out that aziz ansari goes to scofflaw. we don't have a lot of celebs here.

also dr one, i am going to bruges in the fall, do you have any suggestions?

i prefer guezue, wild sours and gose, since sour is not a specific type of beer but rather a category including several types.  not a fan of flemish reds or anything remotely sweet.  i like them dry as fuck and sour as hell.

this is outstanding:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/81010/

but sours are becoming bigger (though they'll never be IPA big) and a lot of local brewers are doing them.

I'd like to get into sours but the only one I've ever had (duchesse, which I hear isn't exactly the best anyway) was awful and tasted like ketchup, so I'm kind of scared to plunk down money for another one that I won't like. unadventurous, sure, but there you are. I don't often see sours on tap around here, and in that scenario I'd be more willing to make a leap of faith, opposed to plunking down $10 for bomber of something fancy in the shop

luckily, Richmond has the best beer bar in America (two years running), so Mekong always has at least 6 (!) sours on tap.

honestly, C.I., i'd stay away from fucking with the big expensive Belgian bottles (Duchesse is indeed not that great, I think it is a Flemish Red).  Look for domsetic gose, wild sour, etc.

sounds like solid advice, thanks jdogg.

anyone had the stone saison? thought that was wonderful.

i think i have seen it around.  i forget: does it come in 4 or 6 backs or bombers?

-justin

are we talking about the same beer?  gueze is going to take a minimum of three years to make, so naturally it will be more expensive. 

i'm talking about gose.  it is also very sour, but a different type of beer.

here are the two canned ones i've had:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/81010/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/99790/