Klee

the BEER thread

On 6/12/2017 at 6:16 PM, pentachris said:

Walmart has 30-packs of Miller High Life for like $18. I ain't above it.

High Life is great 

After a while, that adjunct lager macrobrew taste becomes more noticeable, but I can drink it several nights in a row before that happens 

Whereas most of them are instant 

I like Rainier for that when I'm living in Portland, though. For the packaging and nostalgia because I'm a sap...

ocean likes this

On 6/13/2017 at 0:49 PM, pentachris said:

Trying to figure this one out...

Because drinking a lot makes you gassy?

Cuz it's like, just bullshit for partying. You can chug it for six hours and dance and not drop dead or shit yourself. Noisewater in the "bring the noise" sense I guess

pentachris likes this

41 minutes ago, dunderhead said:

Had an Anderson Valley gose the other night and trivia and won some of their glasses and they are very nice and seemingly generate a lot of head which is weird. 

In my experience, that usually means the glass isn't clean. Hand washing it well, rinsing it well, and then giving it a quick cold water rinse right before pouring should eliminate that, unless the glass either a)has a lot of ridges that disturb the beer as it's being poured, or b)has a lot of scratches or something. Of course, the other obvious cause is that the beer itself is over-carbed.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

got a 6 pack of one of dogfish head's goofy new summer cans yesterday

The Festina Peche? I had that last year, but can't remember if I liked it or not. :shrug:

1 hour ago, pentachris said:

In my experience, that usually means the glass isn't clean. Hand washing it well, rinsing it well, and then giving it a quick cold water rinse right before pouring should eliminate that, unless the glass either a)has a lot of ridges that disturb the beer as it's being poured, or b)has a lot of scratches or something. Of course, the other obvious cause is that the beer itself is over-carbed.

Yeah, I'm pretty good at doing dishes, but it is certainly possible? It has just done it with both beer and soda and I'm almost thinking that it has something to do with the shape of it because there's a ton of head and then it super quickly dissipates.

I'm gonna pick up a sixer tonight and see what's up. Suggestions?

27 minutes ago, ocean said:

sweetwater is so overrated :facepalm:  

Around here, they're seen by the craft beer community as just another regional brewery. Better than BMC, but nothing special in a sea of craft breweries. That said, I really liked the mosaic IPA they did as a one-off not too long ago.

edit: that cucumber saison is probably the first brew by them I've had that I really dislike

i mean they're fine! but they were just kind of in the vanguard over here i always thought they were too hoppy for hops sake on the whole but they were certainly beloved here when i was coming of age. i was a bit too young to benefit from a sweetwater brewmaster living across the street at the time 

pentachris likes this

now that i'm back from Vietnam and done with shitty Asian lagers, things are back where they need to be.  braved the line at The Veil yesterday for

Never Never Sufficient Sufficient - double cherry gose.  i knew it was going to be too much cherry and no salt or tartness but i got it anyway.

Droid Charger - IPL.  had i not known this was a lager, i could have mistaken it for an IPA.  crushable for the summer at 6.5 ABV

ocean and pentachris like this

26 minutes ago, -justin said:

cream ales are terrible

I dunno. I made a Spotted Cow clone a couple of summers ago that was pretty good. I honestly don't know how well it stacked up against the real Spotted Cow because I've never had it. But the recipe looked interesting, so I gave it a shot.