Klee

the BEER thread

On 8/22/2017 at 10:29 AM, Bill said:

Speak of weird beer flavors my old man is really into the gose thing and those are extremely bad to me

On 8/22/2017 at 0:50 PM, C.I. said:

I like a gose but in limited doses, I can never drink more than one at a time

On 8/22/2017 at 1:18 PM, dunderhead said:

I'll still get every a sour or gose every time that I see one because, unlike last summer, they are a little less in vogue and no longer everywhere you look. More times than not, the usual bar I go to with like 40 things on tap hasn't had any sours or goses at all.

Generally it kinda seems like wheat beers across the board are out. When is the last time you went to a good craft bar and they even had a hefeweizen?

On 9/7/2017 at 4:11 PM, -justin said:

there are a ton of shitty goses/sours out there these days.  the great ones though...oh man.

hahaha yes they are certainly hit or missssss

i was about to agree with C.I. that I only like them in limited doses but i mainly just don't have more than one of the same kind at the same time, but i string like two or three different sours or goses together sometimes :W 

i definitely see why some people think they're gross but idk i'm into it!

ugh i miss this one tho 

screen_shot_2014-10-30_at_1.42.14_pm.png

time was they had it everywhere but i don't see it anymore... their briney melon is fine but less my thing and the G&T is kinda basic but pretty good, but goddamn this blood orange was my favorite

12 minutes ago, ocean said:

i definitely see why some people think they're gross but idk i'm into it!

ugh i miss this one tho 

screen_shot_2014-10-30_at_1.42.14_pm.png

time was they had it everywhere but i don't see it anymore... their briney melon is fine but less my thing and the G&T is kinda basic but pretty good, but goddamn this blood orange was my favorite

it's seasonal - it will be back.

hahaha u know it's funny i could have sworn i had it in the summer the first time but i think it must have just been a really warm day in late fall/winter 

however, i just searched this thread and i said that i traded for one at a beer swap last june but maybe they'd just been hanging onto it

On 9/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, -justin said:

you are in Georgia?  can you get Creature Comforts there? 

yes...?

idk i haven't necessarily been keeping up with how much of their less-ubiquitous styles show up in beer stores but i definitley see the major figureheads of their brand consistently, and i know friends who like to go over to athens and visit the brewery, but i've still yet to go bc there are enough lovely breweries in town for me to visit, whose year-round brews are more my thing, however i should probably give their limited and seasonal releases a closer look 

but i hear their berliner weises and goses are top notch.  Athena i think one of them is called.  you should definitely have your friends snag you some or get it yourself if you see it.  i've had their IPA, Tropicalia and it's fantastic.  nice and juicy NE-style.  another beer i had of theirs called Koko Bunie (milk porter with coconut) was also great.  these two my friend got in a trade for some stuff from here in RVA.  they even have a bottle program from what i hear and i know people trade for their beer a lot.  basically, i think they are a cut above most other GA breweries is my understanding.

oh yeah i've had the athena i think idk maybe should give it another shot bc i think i liked it but was just getting bored with weisses at the time and all i wanted was goses, sours, etc

tropicalia is the one where i'm like yeah i get it if you like IPAs but it's just not my thing at all

the koko buni is the one i'm most looking forward to trying, now that it's fall... idk i've just not been in the mood for a porter or stout when it's warm

anyway i guess to me calling them "a cut above other GA breweries" is overrating them and gets my hackles up a bit even as i admit that's partly because i'm currently more into what breweries like Three Taverns and Orpheus have to offer :shrug: 

well, i definitely get being over IPAs, but i also have to admit that i'm fully on the juicy, low bitterness, NE-style IPAs train.  if i can't get those, i don't get IPAs.  and really, we have three of roughly almost 30 breweries in the metro area producing world-class ones but they never make it to local shelves which is part of the problem with that NE style.  volatile.  they can't sit around in warehouse, etc.

ocean likes this

On 9/19/2017 at 8:11 AM, big anthony riding a wave of spaghetti said:

a 32oz can of beer sounds awful

a 24oz tallboy is already bad enough

i, for one, enjoy the ability to purchase alcohol in a quart size

drinking a spencer festive lager right now, it's a marzen. pretty good! sneaky 7.5%er

very happy the weather is turning and i can start drinking darker beers again :):) 

On 9/12/2017 at 12:32 PM, -justin said:

it's seasonal - it will be back.

'tis :D 

i got some a week or two ago and i still love it :wub: 

my favorite thing to do these days is buy a few 6pks of cans where at least one has that reusable snap-on 6pk holder so i can mix n match a 6pack to take to a friend's house and it's so fuckin easy to carry 

pentachris and -justin like this

Breakfast Stout is 12.99 for a 4 pack at Kroger.. and that is supposed to be a good price apparently!

So I got a mix & match 6 pack (they are only 9.99) and took a Breakfast Stout bottle out of a full 4 pack and put it in mine. Get scammed shit tiers :lol:

c.i. and dunderhead like this

Here you have what could be the first malt liquor worthy of a glass. Typically a slighted style, we thought we would class it up with a stay in the wood and a healthy dose of dry-hopping. A huge hit of corn gives this one a smooth sweetness while its time spent aging in bourbon barrels will give you reason to share. Be warned: this one’s a pry-off, not a twist-off.

no

ocean and Parrot like this