Klee

the BEER thread

3 hours ago, Señor Nu Metal said:

sours are pretty much the only beer i dont like

my preference rotates with the season, its porter/stout time now, though im drowning my anxiety over the AL race with one of these beauties

edit: wait this isnt the beer thread, oh well

12172012-best-winter-ales-highland-cold-

:W 

literally cant stop buying these two in particular 

On 9/12/2017 at 12:17 PM, ocean said:

On 9/12/2017 at 12:20 PM, ocean said:

screen_shot_2014-10-30_at_1.42.14_pm.png

pentachris likes this

Christmas Ale is always solid. you guys get Fatheads up there? been enjoying their Holly Jolly this year. 

and as far as winter beers go, Bell's White Winter Ale is a nice change of pace from all the spiced beers. Columbus Brewing has been doing something called Citra Noel the past few years which is like a darker IPA and usually I kind of hate that but man, it is good. 

mogi likes this

15 hours ago, Joshua Norton said:

It's not quite as peanutty as the can would imply, but it's incredibly smooth for 10.5%.

Catawba Peanut Butter Jelly Time is another tasty one. Try it if you see it.

will do. I can only remember having this one and maybe one other before:

Beer Name: Liquid Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter

Brewery: Terrapin Beer Company

Available locally at: Ale Yeah in Decatur and other craft beer providers

ABV: 6.1%

Glassware: Porter Glass

Appearance: Dark Chocolate with slight ruby

Scent/Aroma: peanut butter,

Taste/Flavor: dark chocolate, hint of peanut butter aftertaste, a bit sour

Body/Mouthfeel: carbonation, thick

First Taste: The first taste hits you with carbonation adding that bit of sour. You get strong baking chocolate flavors and a very slight peanut butter; but its the perfect amount of peanut butter you’d want in a beer and the peanut butter does linger in your mouth leaving a sweet reeses taste in your mouth.

Season: End of Spring

Food/Dessert: Cake and pie, Red Velvet Cake,

Scale: 7.5

speaking of, how far and wide does Jackie O's distribute nowadays? do any of ya'll midwesterners get it? they started as a hole in the wall in that I used to sneak into as an 18 year old on campus and tbh their shit rules, great rotation of seasonals and year rounds and Mystic Mama is maybe the best readily available IPAs I know of.

anyway my bb got me a bottle of this as a stocking stuffer, haven't opened it yet but I'm looking forward to it: 

http://jackieos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Oro_Bottle.png

48 minutes ago, c.i. said:

speaking of, how far and wide does Jackie O's distribute nowadays? do any of ya'll midwesterners get it? they started as a hole in the wall in that I used to sneak into as an 18 year old on campus and tbh their shit rules, great rotation of seasonals and year rounds and Mystic Mama is maybe the best readily available IPAs I know of.

Yeah we've got it here way out west!

2 hours ago, Parrot said:

Probably turned the little opener tab around and used it as a little clip. 

:thinking: 

2 hours ago, Parrot said:

Unless that was a rhetorical joke of a question, then shit on me. 

ScentedShrillAmericantoad-max-1mb.gif

glad you went on this roller coaster so i didn't have to 

1 hour ago, c.i. said:

lmao magic hat

tastes like freshman year of college!

lol why did this post remind me of 

c.i. likes this

lmao.

I'm drinking the Oro Negro right now and as an drinking experience, shit straight up sucks. it has habeneros in it which I didn't realize before. it's a really interesting and complex taste but then it's immediately ruined by an afterburner of just straight up capsaicin. this has happened with every pepper beer I've ever tried, I feel like there's got to be a way to make it work but god this is just horrible. it's like drinking a glass of heartburn.  

alien likes this

On 12/30/2017 at 5:25 PM, c.i. said:

I'm drinking the Oro Negro right now and as an drinking experience, shit straight up sucks. it has habeneros in it which I didn't realize before. it's a really interesting and complex taste but then it's immediately ruined by an afterburner of just straight up capsaicin. this has happened with every pepper beer I've ever tried, I feel like there's got to be a way to make it work but god this is just horrible. it's like drinking a glass of heartburn.  

dunderhead, pentachris and ocean like this

On 12/28/2017 at 7:32 PM, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

They sat in the fridge next to this overnight so maybe they learned some tricks

450.jpg 

I remember years ago when myself and my friends were getting into the craft brew stuff #9 was our first go to. We were drinking one night and the cap said we had won a free t-shirt and there was a number to call. They told us they could either mail it to us or we could come to the brewery and pick it up. So we decided to drive to Vermont and see the brewery and pick up a free t-shirt. It was fun. There was two large Akitas in the main tasting room.

ocean, c.i. and pentachris like this

Just for the record, I only posted about #9 for the magic gag. Don't get me wrong, it's a crushable beer that I'd be happy to knock back on a hot summer afternoon. But I haven't actually had any in my fridge since my wife was drinking fruit beer as a gateway to craft beer years ago. Her first go-to was Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.

alien and ocean like this

been saying this for over a year now but Triple Crossing's IPAs are the best in the country and people are finally starting to take notice yet people come from all over the East Coast to line for for Veil.  slipped down my on my lunch break to get some 4 packs of the new beerz.

from Paste magazine this year:

Brew Gentlemen may have placed #1 in our 176 DIPA blind tasting in September, but no brewery made such a loud, undeniable statement as Richmond, VA’s Triple Crossing when their two entries BOTH scored in the top 5. That’s the kind of absurd achievement that almost never happens in these competitions, but it speaks to just how confidently and flawlessly Triple Crossing has approached the modern IPA. Their output in this field is nigh unparalleled. What’s ironic is that although Richmond has become a craft beer hotspot in the last couple of years thanks to other breweries such as The Answer and especially The Veil, many of the beer tourists coming to town still seem to be overlooking Triple Crossing, which is an absolutely criminal omission to make. You could look up and down the coast without finding another DIPA as impossibly smooth, luxurious and juicy as Triple Crossing’s Interstellar Burst in particular. All in all, they still remain a brewery we haven’t sampled all that often, but we’re hoping to see many more Triple Crossing representatives in the 2018 blind tasting schedule.

also, @c.i., Jackie O's is on there:

Athens, Ohio’s Jackie O’s is a brewery that can do it all. They make beer so incredible that if it was repackaged in discarded bottles from the likes of Hill Farmstead, Side Project or Jester King, nobody would think twice or feel shortchanged. They’re the true definition of an underrated but world-class brewery, even in their native Ohio. Their year-round selections such as Mystic Mama IPA are undeniably solid, but it’s the barrel-aging and wild program where these guys truly excel, and that skill has shown through repeatedly in our blind tastings. No one would have predicted that Jackie O’s would walk out of the blind tasting of 144 barrel-aged imperial stouts holding the #2 position (for a beer called Spirit Beast), but that’s what happened. A few months later it happened again, as Jackie O’s Pockets of Sunlight was our #3 saison out of 116 beers. There are few breweries we’re more excited to see a new entry from in any given blind tasting than these guys, and we’ve yet to have a barrel-aged beer from them that wasn’t impressive.

i've had a few of their beers but what they are saying about the barrel beers being the best seems right.  i think had a BA Barleywine from them that was killer.

ocean, c.i. and pentachris like this