Sign in to follow this  
📚☕H🍎📚

What Books Have You Bought?

On 10/17/2017 at 4:45 PM, c.i. said:

I picked up the savage detectives because I've been wanting to read some bolano for a while and 2666 seemed a bit dark for a book I'm going to bring on vacation.

2666 is my favorite book and isn't as dark as it's made out to be, though The Part About The Murders is pretty harrowing. Good call on not taking it on vacation though; it's definitely an at-home book. I recommend getting the three volume slipcase edition. The covers are all lovely, and the paper stock is nicer than the single volume pb.  It's out of print but you can get it on online for a reasonable price.

Amulet is a good one to read after the Savage Detectives because it goes into more detail about an event related in Savage Detectives, but I like all of his novels. I'm not much a fan of his short stories, though: I don't really understand most of them.

magnets☮ likes this

On 10/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, Bill, the vampire from True Blood said:

latest?cb=20170630105040

:wub:

The His Dark Materials books were really important to me as a non-religious kid in the south and Pullman coming back with a new trilogy is giving me some serious nostalgia 

Apparently this is a cracking read too so even better! 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:07 PM, Bill, the vampire from True Blood said:

Yeah. I liked them a lot when i was younger and i have to give pullman credit for expecting a lot from kids, theyre pretty, uh, dangerous for children, depending on who or where you are

YES!!! so excited, however ive been meaning to read the other companion materials for a little while

and yeah i think i learned about opium dens for the first time from his sally lockhart mysteries :mj: 

and uhhhh i was actually a pretty religious kid in the south in a lot of ways and in retrospect i think his dark materials had a huge role in my rethinking of that :W 

On 08/10/2017 at 9:43 PM, Minori said:

With the proper Kindle it's not anything like reading things off a screen though, it's a different type of screen.

Why don't just stroke a piece of paper with one hand while reading off a Kindle?

How are you going to make visitors think you’re clever and cultured if all you have on your bookshelves is thousands of unread titles on a kindle?

2 hours ago, Young_Conservative™ said:

How are you going to make visitors think you’re clever and cultured if all you have on your bookshelves is thousands of unread titles on a kindle?

Imagine you with visitors :lol:

Both my physical books and my pair of Kindies are in the 'study' anyway, where visitors do not enter!

Your burd would have been impressed if you'd had just two books, wouldn't she? :p

5 hours ago, 📚☕H🍎📚 said:

Would have bought it for observations by Alvin Lucier alone.

that and pauline oliveros were what grabbed me too, plus i like the idea of a thorough primer on electronic music that includes technical writing about synthesizers but only up to the early 70s. I'm hoping there will be some explanations of basic synthesis and synthesizer control at a level i can hopefully understand that won't be bogged down by all of the technological advances since then. something from a period where consumer synths existed but were still relatively basic seems like a good way to get some sort of foundational grasp of a concept I've always felt was way over my head

21 hours ago, Lauren Tsai said:

Except for Norwegian Wood, he literally presses copy and paste for the rest of them and nobody has the balls to point it out!

I've been saying that for YEARS on atease. It's a good formula and the first couple I read were magical, it's just after about the 3rd one I couldn't stomach it any more. 

Kindergarten Plop likes this

i haven't read any actually

finally finished the enhanced ebook version of a dance with dragons, frankly worth it just for the maps you can pan/zoom but the footnotes were cute too and the glossary was good for reminding me of characters i had forgotten since i read the last book or two, but it was annoying when they had entries for every random person being introduced and the entry in the glossary was like exactly what was on that page of the book