Sign in to follow this  
banh mi

Centrist bollocks

1 hour ago, Lights said:

BBC presenter Andrew Marr said: "It's a tax giveaway."

The Shadow Chancellor replied: "It is, but it's to people, some of whom need a tax giveaway at the moment because the mismanagement of the economy by the Conservatives is hitting them hard."

:wank:

banh mi and Lights like this

I have my eye on the pseudo-intellectual online journal Quillette in case they get any more famous, they inadvertently provide a good case for the essential emptiness of centrism.  Take this article:

See the below cluster-plane diagram of [Alt-Right/Pomo-Left/Neo-Enlightenment] classifications, also including my estimates for the positions occupied by a sample of thinkers who could easily be misclassified under the centrism-extremism lens.

1-4NOVEwax64idHUj5n9kNSQ.png?resize=470,

This analysis puts universality as the strongest differentiator of the Neo-Enlightenment (high U) from the Pomo-Left and Alt-Right (both low U). Fundamentally, the last two are both identitarianisms, far closer to each other than either cares to understand. The most obvious difference between them doesn’t even rise to the level of this analysis. It is merely which groups are taken as the truly oppressed ones — intersectional hierarchies for the Pomo-Left, whites and men for the Alt-Right. (Think of these oppressed-category variables again as additional axes roughly perpendicular to our cluster-plane, as it would be embedded in a high-dimensional total-memome space.)

One can imagine memeticists of the far future, equipped with hard, neurological measurements analogous to sequenced genomes. What we have here is a toy model of that vision, crafted by the iron tools of intellectual history available today. But iron tools far surpass the broken stones of our occultist ancestors or the loose twigs of our pomo-monkey cousins who haven’t yet died out.

Yeah, this Flake stuff is probably the biggest example of centrist idiocy I've seen so far this year. If anyone doubted that centrist liberals care more about norms being respected than they do about the priorities and well-being of normal people...

11 minutes ago, Salem said:

That sample size is 1,500 tho.

i've seen too many posts about how many neolibs miss bush or post about how old man cute he is now.

It's like repeatedly getting punched in the face and looking back fondly on the times when you were getting kicked in the dick

Moon and eeeezypeezy like this

On 10/25/2017 at 12:27 PM, Salem said:

That sample size is 1,500 tho.

if it's even remotely close to a representative sample, it's way more than enough to become a posadist if one isn't already

it's really hard to fuck up a sample of even fewer people if you're trying even a tiny little bit