Sign in to follow this  
shakes

2018 music thread

13 minutes ago, A Fine Bottle Of Wine said:

Speaking of ludicrous wishes for 2018: the new Tom Waits reissues seem like the perfect step up for a new album in ‘18.

I dunno, that would be nice but to me it reads more like an old man polishing up his legacy because he's got nothing better to do

this is the longest he's ever gone without releasing anything new and bad as me was...not bad, but now that we're a few years past it I can't imagine ever reaching for it over any other late period waits records, there wasn't really anything new about it

11 minutes ago, >:| said:

bad as me was...not bad, but now that we're a few years past it I can't imagine ever reaching for it over any other late period waits records, there wasn't really anything new about it

Agreed. It’s a mid-tier Tom Waits record at best. It just doesn’t have an identity of its own, it’s like a collection of leftovers that could’ve come from any post-Heartattack album.

I do have an enormous soft spot for Pay Me though and I hope he has another late-career classic in him.

57 minutes ago, mortimer said:

I'm giving up on SFA if they don't do something in 2018. I can't even get enthused about their back catalog anymore. I drove it into the ground.

wont stand for THIS either

I don’t have an account but I once spent an evening looking for advice on a new turntable. I was serious at first but then I got lost between posts arguing that it’s really worth spending that extra two grand because it really adds to the width of the sound and hey, it’s an amazing deal for $15.000.

5 hours ago, A Fine Bottle Of Wine said:

I don’t have an account but I once spent an evening looking for advice on a new turntable. I was serious at first but then I got lost between posts arguing that it’s really worth spending that extra two grand because it really adds to the width of the sound and hey, it’s an amazing deal for $15.000.

Yeah, I don't have an account and I roll my eyes at like 99% of the posts, but they've got a ton of folks there with super deep Dead knowledge so I'll keep my eyes on those threads once in a while for show recommendations and rumors about upcoming releases

Speaking of, the only albums I've got pre-ordered for 2018 are Dave's Picks 25-28. Looks like they're starting off strong with a show from fall 1977.

21 hours ago, rossiter said:

Anyone on here post on Steve Hoffman?

I registered recently so I could vote on a glam rock singles poll. given that there's several hundred people voting it was pretty futile.

no but I lurk and get some good info and good laffs too

it's got to be the most insane place on the internet outside of alt right reddit and the like though. at least they're harmless. Unless you say you don't care about compression, then Steve himself will hunt you like a rat

he's the rat hunting you, not hunt you like you're a rat btw

it's odd! But I quite like finding out that there are large numbers of people who superficially share the same enthusiasms as me ie music, but approach it in a completely different way. There was a 100+ page thread on 'late period' cliff Richard for instance - that's late period.

I've only ever positively identified one person from here posting on another board. And he's posted in this thread!

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

their single-minded insistence on focusing on the wrong thing is endlessly fascinating

Right? Like the new version of Sgt Pepper sounds good regardless of the DR values or whatever it is they're always so concerned with

Can they not just accept it as an interesting take on a classic album? Trying to create a stereo version of the mono mix is cool idk

yeah. the reality is that only a very few records can and have been noticeably improved by remasters/remixes/etc (Raw Power comes to mind)

the rest it's just tweaking shit that 99.9% of people will never notice

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

yeah. the reality is that only a very few records can and have been noticeably improved by remasters/remixes/etc (Raw Power comes to mind)

the rest it's just tweaking shit that 99.9% of people will never notice

Let It Be Naked, though that's basically an entirely new album

Kemper Boyd likes this