Sign in to follow this  
shakes

2018 music thread

1 hour ago, sam said:

This was in my Release Radar this morning...I guess it's from a forthcoming Numero reissue. Title pretty much nails it. 

Giving this another spin. Really digging it. If you liked that minimalist gospel record by Otis G Johnson that Numero re-issued then definitely check this. More chilled than intense but definitely a similar vibe nonetheless

looks like the Pumpkins reunion Billy Corgan was talking about wanting to happen is happening. He and Jimmy are currently recording in LA, where James Iha lives, and there's this:

That train you hear approaching has a familiar ring, no? Sort of a polyrhythmic, enemy of the state.

Billy can still write good songs and his newfound humility will make him more likely to listen to the band, like he did in the old days. Could be good! As long as the production isn't shit, the vocals aren't 10 times louder than everything else, and Billy doesn't scrap everything and re-record it with a bunch of kids playing recorders.

eeeezypeezy likes this

1 minute ago, I am a damn ass bunny said:

Billy-Corgan-on-Infowars-640x373.jpg

no airquotes necessary, he's probably on some heavy duty meds though because he gives the band credit for how good SP were, says that he should have shared the money evenly, that their success wasn't all him, that you can't control how people accept your work...I mean he'll probably accuse James Iha of eating children alive at some point, but still. It's cool to see someone change so substantially. It's nice.

8 minutes ago, Kemper Boyd said:

no airquotes necessary, he's probably on some heavy duty meds though because he gives the band credit for how good SP were, says that he should have shared the money evenly, that their success wasn't all him, that you can't control how people accept your work...

This is some Invasion of the Body Snatchers shit.

When did he say all this??

1 hour ago, shakes said:

has anyone heard the jeff rosenstock album? 4k review was quite fawning but called worry his breakthrough and i thought that album kinda sucked so idk!!

I haven't yet, but I'll probably buy a six pack this weekend and turn it up loud

59 minutes ago, sam said:

This is some Invasion of the Body Snatchers shit.

When did he say all this??

it's really fucking crazy! his recent interviews have been consistent on those points, but he goes into the most detail in the interview with Joe Rogan, which is actually very good because Corgan steers clear of his new age conspiracy bullshit.  It's actually heartwarming! He even said that there was only one Smashing Pumpkins...which is such a nice change from I AM THE PUMPKINS.  It's a solid, long talk, and I don't even like Joe Rogan. He doesn't get to say much, but Billy is comfortable enough with him to really open up. 

39 minutes ago, Kemper Boyd said:

it's really fucking crazy! his recent interviews have been consistent on those points, but he goes into the most detail in the interview with Joe Rogan, which is actually very good because Corgan steers clear of his new age conspiracy bullshit.  It's actually heartwarming! He even said that there was only one Smashing Pumpkins...which is such a nice change from I AM THE PUMPKINS.  It's a solid, long talk, and I don't even like Joe Rogan. He doesn't get to say much, but Billy is comfortable enough with him to really open up. 

I'm listening to this Joe Rogan interview and he is using phrases like 'my own hubris'. Has he found god?

Fuck, if SP reform I am gonna have to see them now. This interview is eroding all my reservations!

1 hour ago, John McClane said:

I didn't listen to the last MGMT album

probably not worth your time tbh.

Also that Justin Timberlake track was awful. It also seemed to have nothing to do with that trailer from yesterday? I suppose I understand why it could draw a Prince comparison, but that doesn't make it good. It calls back to 20ten era Prince :sick:

John McClane likes this

concept album about creating robot soldiers then getting out of the game and buying a ranch in Montana and being one of those rich assholes that everyone there hates. he then makes moonshine to win the town over but it ends up killing everyone save one young man who he then gets filthy with. the album is an ouroboros.

eeeezypeezy and Palo like this

Re: ex hex / bat fangs 

Why would a 3 piece band have a side project as a duo? Which member is missing?

its only one member of ex hex

lol even if it was more than one, not that weird! there is at least one local band here that has been around for a little while pretty popular with like 3 people in it, still active but less frequent output, then at some point two of them went off to have a side project with this other friend of theirs that was also very good but more low-key, and idk i guess the main dude in both bands is just the kind of guy who likes to have a bunch of different projects going bc then he went off to form another band with 3 other dudes more recently

oh also those same two dudes that are in the first two bands i mentioned had actually been together in a band back in the first decade of the 2000s, and formed the other band after that one disbanded i guess. that's just how the scene works here 

20 minutes ago, John McClane said:

I don't get it. I thought Man of the Woods was suppose to be his Into the Wild soundtrack or some shit.

First single says otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Kemper Boyd said:

concept album about creating robot soldiers then getting out of the game and buying a ranch in Montana and being one of those rich assholes that everyone there hates. he then makes moonshine to win the town over but it ends up killing everyone save one young man who he then gets filthy with. the album is an ouroboros.

its an early track

John McClane and flavor like this