Sign in to follow this  
shakes

2018 music thread

8 hours ago, sam said:

This was in my Release Radar this morning...I guess it's from a forthcoming Numero reissue. Title pretty much nails it. 

ok this is nice, gonna listen to this laraaji more when i wanna be in this ...blissed out... mood :W 

6 hours ago, John McClane said:

I didn't listen to the last MGMT album

This new song sounds, OK?

not at all interesting, next 

4 hours ago, Palo said:

probably not worth your time tbh.

Also that Justin Timberlake track was awful. It also seemed to have nothing to do with that trailer from yesterday? I suppose I understand why it could draw a Prince comparison, but that doesn't make it good. It calls back to 20ten era Prince :sick:

:lolsad: 

just listening now, i don't get it, at all

11 hours ago, shakes said:

has anyone heard the jeff rosenstock album? 4k review was quite fawning but called worry his breakthrough and i thought that album kinda sucked so idk!!

I liked it, had some slight Weezer vibes

6 hours ago, Palo said:

I liked it, had some slight Weezer vibes

I was going to listen to that album and NOW I'm not very sure I want to do that at all.

Can we stop discussing Weezer and Weezer vibes in 2018? 

magnets☮ likes this

On 1/6/2018 at 9:50 AM, Dale Nixon said:

Have any of you read the story behind Dreamweapon? It’s completely great. I laughed pretty hard at the big reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/sep/26/spacemen-3-will-carruthers-playing-the-bass-extract

i got that cd signed by Sonic Boom when he was doing that tour playing Spacemen 3 songs. He played a notorious after hours club/drug den, which was perfect. Everyone was suitably deranged.  Great gig. Saw him play solo 10 years ago and it was also a great gig - he played Kraftwerk's Hall of Mirrors - and the crowd was awesome. There was almost a riot when he encored with Transparent Radiation. Great times!

3 minutes ago, c.i. said:

wait huh? did he just re-record that album?

Oh. Weird. I just saw that.

Didn't know his back catalog, so I took the release announcement at face value. That's kinda lame.

Is the original worth owning?

4 minutes ago, c.i. said:

I guess I understand the impulse though, if you've got this bedroom album you're proud of and all the sudden you have the opportunity to expand that vision with a Big Indie Budget and everything.

Yeah, but at least re-name it or add a "Redux" to the end or something like that.

hmmm

well going in without hearing the original, beach life-in death is not what i really want from him at all

the single edit of nervous young inhumans was pretty nice... but not really touching the best stuff from teens of denial

c.i. likes this

1 hour ago, c.i. said:

I guess I understand the impulse though, if you've got this bedroom album you're proud of and all the sudden you have the opportunity to expand that vision with a Big Indie Budget and everything.

hahahaha that reminds me of a thing i heard recently asking john darnielle if someone offered him the opportunity to rerecord like all hail west texas in a real studio or something and he was like hell no those songs are good the way they are and why would i waste time rerecording old stuff rather than making new songs

c.i. and magnets☮ like this

20 minutes ago, ocean said:

hahahaha that reminds me of a thing i heard recently asking john darnielle if someone offered him the opportunity to rerecord like all hail west texas in a real studio or something and he was like hell no those songs are good the way they are and why would i waste time rerecording old stuff rather than making new songs

yeah, I'd agree with that.

I could see them doing this as like a side thing, but billing it as the NEW LP feels like a big cop out

ocean likes this