Sign in to follow this  
Phoebe Halliwell

Men Are Trash: The Megathread

I have a huge problem with masculinity.

Don't really care about the half the population with a penis. 

There's def a huge problem with the patriarchy and I'm sick of it. 

I don't want to get all #metoo or #notallmen itt because I am a man and I've benefited from this toxic culture in a lot of ways and as I grow more aware I'm more tuned in to the bullshit women go through. 

Anyways. Fuck br0 culture that encourages the sort of behavior that this thread documents and fuck the culture that silences men and women from speaking out. 

sugarface likes this

7 minutes ago, dregs said:

I have not seen that!!! 

i hope she KILLS tarantino 

i read the text of what she said but didn't see the video at first. it's staggering to be able to actually hear her speak and how angry and hurt she is just getting the words out. i've been thinking about it, especially because of how much of this shit gets hashed out online.

ocean likes this

I'm hoping Lynch is innocent, but... :( I've seen a few cast interviews that gave me pause, the way he always calls Madchen Amick Madgkin weirds me out. It could be a genuine friendly thing, but I can't assume  

6 hours ago, mnemosyne said:

The part that's particularly paralyzing for me is that I can't think of this as a situation where there are just a few bad apples anymore. It's not like we can just root out all the bad men and all this will stop. The distinction between "good" and "bad" men is meaningless, and exists only so that we can put ourselves on one side of it and assure ourselves that we aren't the problem. Even if you've never outright raped or assaulted someone, you've absolutely done something at some point that made someone uncomfortable, and it probably didn't even register for you. The power imbalances in the system we live in are so severe that we're complicit just by participating in it. I include myself in this, too. Whatever's going on in this moment has made me reevaluate my own behavior and there are memories that don't seem okay to me anymore. As men, I think we need to shut the fuck up right now, listen to women, and engage in some serious introspection. It's the absolute least we can do.

important! tho not only introspection but also speaking up when it is the time and the place to call out your bros when they do or say questionable shit or if you don't want to do it right there in front of other people you can always "call in"

i mean i just feel like i'm saying the same thing people said about white people doing the hard work to talk to their white friends and family workers who supported trump rather than cut them out of their lives 

speaking of emma stone working with woody allen twice, let's not forget the other half of this power couple

Celebrities flocked to the Governors Awards, which kicked off awards season, and solemnly ignored the issue of sexual abuse. None of the presenters mentioned it (including new Academy presidente John Bailey, Steven Spielberg, Ava Duvernay, Jessica Chastain and Angelina Jolie). In fact, Dustin Hoffman was a presenter, and he was greeted "with enthusiastic applause" by the celebrity attendees, despite his own sexual harassment allegations by two different women (which prompted him to issue a statement apologizing for anything "he might have" done).

At the red carpet, Andrew Garfield told USA Today that the night was about celebrating the honorary Oscars recipients, and that the event "is isolated from the horrific allegations that are occurring daily in our industry and all industries where there are abuses of power".

ocean, psycho, ant man bee and 1 other like this

11 minutes ago, ocean said:

important! tho not only introspection but also speaking up when it is the time and the place to call out your bros when they do or say questionable shit or if you don't want to do it right there in front of other people you can always "call in"

This also applies to message boards JSYK ICYMI 

ocean likes this

3 minutes ago, flavor said:

speaking of emma stone working with woody allen twice, let's not forget the other half of this power couple

Lmao I hate Andrew Garfield so much

My film friend who is a credible person imo was trying to explain to me why it really would have been weird for this to come up at that award show but it sure as shit ain't "isolated" Peter

ocean and flavor like this

10 hours ago, eeeezypeezy said:

I'm hoping Lynch is innocent, but... :( I've seen a few cast interviews that gave me pause, the way he always calls Madchen Amick Madgkin weirds me out. It could be a genuine friendly thing, but I can't assume  

Have you heard Naomi Watts on the masturbation scene in Mulholland Drive?