Sign in to follow this  
Phoebe Halliwell

Men Are Trash: The Megathread

I assume that is related to this:

Matt Damon thinks men who do the right thing are going unnoticed as the list of allegations against Hollywood heavyweights like Harvey Weinstein keeps growing.

"We're in this watershed moment, and it's great, but I think one thing that's not being talked about is there are a whole s*** load of guys — the preponderance of men I've worked with — who don't do this kind of thing and whose lives aren't going to be affected," Damon told Business Insider.

:guillotine:

On 11/21/2017 at 11:33 AM, wahdiohead said:

Pinegrove Cancel Tour After Accusation of Sexual Coercion Against Frontman Evan Stephens Hall

https://pitchfork.com/news/pinegrove-cancel-tour-after-accusation-of-sexual-coercion-against-frontman-evan-stephens-hall/

I guess Shakes was right after all

and his statement: https://www.facebook.com/Pinegroveband/posts/10155748505559774

Here's some more on this, I looked into it because I was suspicious of his statement in general and:

Lot's of damning stuff from people in the scene, including Petal. She toured with both Pinegrove and a member of Pinegrove's band. there's much more about this.

donezo

23 minutes ago, wahdiohead said:

Here's some more on this, I looked into it because I was suspicious of his statement in general and:

Lot's of damning stuff from people in the scene, including Petal. She toured with both Pinegrove and a member of Pinegrove's band. there's much more about this.

donezo

i'm so confused over his statement. he seems to be writing in a way that's tiptoeing around a larger issue that he's unwilling to come forward about. 

1 hour ago, Dale Nixon said:

i'm so confused over his statement. he seems to be writing in a way that's tiptoeing around a larger issue that he's unwilling to come forward about. 

I'm confused as to why he's equating predatory behavior with mental illness...

6 minutes ago, Chaddeus Maximus said:

what does that mean, "you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show"

is there some specific thing they are talking about that has a movie form and a TV or play form? and he thinks diversity doesn't matter in the latter? I have no idea what the context for any of this is

saw this in the twitter comments

https://jezebel.com/matt-damon-interrupts-successful-black-woman-filmmaker-1730553152

classic daemon

magnets☮ and eeeezypeezy like this

On 12/19/2017 at 4:09 PM, lukin? said:

man, i'm like 5 days behind in this one podcast, so listening to a 5 day old interview with jeff ross who casually namedrops his "friend tj miller" in reference to something or other was really jarring, whereas if i'd listened to it on time i'd have had no idea who he even was and not caught the name ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

alien likes this

Eric-Bristow-on-sexual-abuse-in-football

Rupert Hill 22 Dec 2017 6:00PM

Legend.

Chris Snuggs 22 Dec 2017 8:40AM

Sick of PC and establishment idiots who parrot it and fail to stick by honest people. I never watch SKY anyway.

What is weird about all this is that all the media comment by the public I see on places like this (as below) and on Facebook etc would SYMPATHISE with Eric, so how come a minority elite manages to push this PC agenda down our throats?

Flag

David Chandler 17 Dec 2017 9:56PM

Who was that vituperative woman?

caius Caligula 17 Dec 2017 5:22PM

I alway liked Bristow. Darts became interesting through him.

The bland vanillaism of Sky, and other corporate employers really doesn't reflect what most people think, at least those who do think.

But is an era when those of us not weathly enough to retire, do have watch what we say and not fall in to the quizzlings question-traps such as used by HR across corporations.

Paul Gilson 17 Dec 2017 5:01PM

He should have been given a pay rise, not sacked. 

G Brexit 17 Dec 2017 10:06AM

Its a sad sad world, bordering on some kind of Stalinist state, when your opinion costs you your livelihood. Bliar cost Hoddle his job over his Karma comments.

Steven Hourihan 17 Dec 2017 10:03AM

I don't see why one stupid opinion has to define him  or why he should be exiled from public life forever.   That one opinion is one tiny thing about him. can't we be a bit more forgiving?  I'm not really expecting a darts pundit to have enlightened views on everything or know about child abuse.

Robert Axton 18 Dec 2017 12:12AM

@Steven Hourihan  What was stupid about his opinion?  He was spot on.   Why  do you think England lose every match they play?  Bunch of big girl's blouses the lot of them.

David Brittain 18 Dec 2017 1:50PM

@Robert Axton @Steven Hourihan Except they won nearly every match in WC qualifying.....! Duh

brendan geran 21 Dec 2017 3:45PM

@Robert Axton Should make them all play a game of rugby.

Tiger Lilly 22 Dec 2017 8:59PM

@Robert Axton @Steven Hourihan 

What was stupid about his opinion ?
He was ignorantly pontificating about something he knew nothing about. His opinion upset some very brave people, made it sound like abuse was the fault of the abused, before wandering to violent vigilantism. 
That's not what Sky want on a family sports broadcast - so he was rightly fired. 

Steven Hourihan - spot on. 
He shouldn't be defined by it. We all make mistakes and he was(is) a great darts commentator. 
I'd like to see him back too. 

Nicholas Gape 17 Dec 2017 4:39AM

Character is being 'ethnically cleansed' from sporting arenas to satisfy the money grabbing tv companies and the ruling bodies up one anothers bottoms.

Carry on Eric, now that would be an interesting film!!

Chris Gott 18 Dec 2017 1:19AM

@Nicholas Gape

Charachter as you so beautifuly put it, is being 'ethnically cleansed' from life as a whole.

Big Copper 17 Dec 2017 3:00AM

Old school and none the worse for it.

brendan geran 21 Dec 2017 3:48PM

@Big Copper What a beige world we're heading for, thanks to all the PC claptrap.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/technology/microsoft-amazon-employees-bought-services-from-trafficked-sex-workers

According to the report published on December 21, the employees of the tech giants had brazenly sent emails to brothels and pimps from their company accounts in the hope of obtaining services of trafficked Asian women.

The publication got records of the emails that were reportedly sent to brothels and pimps between 2014 and 2016.

The emails, obtained through a public records request to the King County Prosecutor's Office, reportedly showed that 67 of them were sent from Microsoft employee accounts, 63 from Amazon accounts and dozens more from companies like Boeing, T-Mobile, Oracle and local Seattle tech firms.

The authorities have been collecting them from brothel computers for a few years and have seized records from a fraction of the area's hundreds of brothels and illicit massage parlours.

"Some of the emails were collected during a 2015 sting operation that targeted sex worker review boards and resulted in the arrest of 18 individuals, including high-level Amazon and Microsoft directors. Two opted for a trial, which is currently set to begin in March," the report highlighted.

Meanwhile, Microsoft told the publication that it has cooperated with law enforcement and other agencies on combating sex trafficking and related topics in the past.

"The personal conduct of a tiny fraction of our 125,000 employees does not in any way represent our culture. No organisation is immune to the unfortunate situation when employees act unethically or illegally," the company was quoted as saying.

"When that happens, we look into the conduct and take appropriate action. Microsoft makes it clear to our employees they have a responsibility to act with integrity and conduct themselves in a legal and ethical manner at all times. If they don't, they risk losing their jobs," Microsoft added.

Amazon said its "Owner's Manual" clearly states that it is against Amazon's policy for any employee or Contingent Worker to engage in any sex buying activities of any kind in Amazon's workplace or in any work-related setting outside of the workplace.

alien and ocean like this

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2017/12/31/partisans-wielding-money-begin-seeking-to-exploit-harassment-claims/

gorilla mindset

In November, the Trump-backing social media agitator Mike Cernovich offered to pay $10,000 for details of any congressional sexual harassment settlements, and said on Twitter that he would cover the expenses of "any VICTIM of a congressman who wants to come forward to tell her story." Shortly before posting that offer, a source provided Cernovich with a copy of a sexual harassment settlement that led in December to the resignation of Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., until then the longest-serving member of the House.

And Burkman, who has suggested that Russian hit men killed a young Democratic National Committee aide during the 2016 election, emerged in October to offer his services to women accusing Weinstein of sexual misconduct. He had never handled a sexual harassment matter before.

Those pushing the sexual harassment claims say they are just trying to level a playing field that has long favored powerful men, discouraging their victims from coming forward, and silencing many who do using confidential settlements.

"You got to sweeten the pot a little bit," Cernovich said. A lawyer by training, he said he was shocked that the person who gave him the Conyers documents declined his offer to pay for them.

But, he said, "if somebody had a settlement like Conyers, I would gladly, gladly pay for that."

Money could have costs.

"If you're getting money from someone who has an ax to grind against the person you're accusing of unlawful activity, that most certainly opens the door to a line of questioning that very well could undermine the veracity of your client's story," said Douglas H. Wigdor, a leading New York employment lawyer who has brought a barrage of lawsuits against powerful men and institutions in recent years.

The partisan efforts have already sparked some backlash. Cernovich and the far-right activist Charles C. Johnson, had to back away from claims that they possessed a sexual harassment settlement that would bring down a leading Democratic senator when it became apparent that the document — which targeted the Senate Democratic leader, Chuck Schumer of New York — was a forgery, lifting passages verbatim from the Conyers complaint unearthed by Cernovich. Schumer referred the matter to the Capitol Hill police for a criminal investigation.

"I like to hype things in advance, and this looked pretty good," Cernovich said. "I definitely learned a lesson there."

Cernovich is an unlikely champion for sexual harassment victims, given his previous career as an anti-feminist blogger who cast doubt on date-rape allegations and wrote posts with headlines like "Misogyny Gets You Laid."

ocean likes this