Sign in to follow this  
Phoebe Halliwell

Men Are Trash: The Megathread

She didn't want to do it and at the time, hated Lynch for making her do it. She said that the rage, tears, etc. of that scene are absolutely real, no acting involved.

It's not like there was any sort of grudge between them ever since, but she's always been consistent in how she's spoken about it, even in the most recent Critereon release where she and Lynch talk about it in an almost lighthearted manner??

“David wanted utter despair and I was so humiliated by doing the scene that I did cry a lot and I couldn’t stop crying,” Watts said. “He didn’t want me to cry because that would seem that I’d arrived at a place of emotion. What he wanted was that I was reaching, that I was absolutely, desperately trying to connect with something I’d experienced and I wasn’t reaching it. Because I was so mortified by, you know, sitting in front of a film crew with my hands down my pants, I just kept crying. I would say, ‘David, I can’t do this. I can’t do it.’ Crying, crying, crying. And he was like, ‘That’s okay, Naomi, that’s okay.’ And I was thinking, ‘Okay, so he’s going to call cut.’ But he didn’t. And I would keep going. And I—just breaking down, and it was like, I said, ‘Fuck you, David! Fuck you!’”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tv-producer-daisy-goodwin-groped-on-visit-to-no10-downing-street-victoria-creator_uk_5a09f32ae4b00a6eece37b27

A No.10 spokesperson said: “Allegations such as this are taken very seriously. The Cabinet Office would look into any formal complaint, should one be made.

:headdesk:

4 minutes ago, Salem said:

It's not like there was any sort of grudge between them ever since, but she's always been consistent in how she's spoken about it, even in the most recent Critereon release where she and Lynch talk about it in an almost lighthearted manner??

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/10/mulholland-drive-highlights-from-the-criterion-collection-interviews-with-david-lynch-naomi-watts-more-109451/

Naomi Watts did not want to perform the notorious masturbation scene in the movie and said it was extremely difficult to go through with. Watts said, to make matters worse, possibly from nerves, she had to make “several trips” to the bathroom during that day of shooting. Watts admitted to being upset and angry for having to do the scene. “I was mad at him for making me do this!” she reveals. “I remember saying, ‘David, I can’t do this!, I can’t do this! and being mad at him.”

She was so nervous Lynch built a tent around her so none of the crew could see her performance. When she cried out to him, she heard him from the outside saying, ” ‘OK, Naomi, that’s ok.’ [There’s] no cut, I’m not hearing the word cut, so i just keep going. I remember being pissed!”

“I did anger, I did crying, it was just wildly uncomfortable,” she continued. “The thing with David is he just keeps you going, you want to please him because he’s after something really true and you don’t want to give up.”

There is a genre of director that puts primarily female actors through absolute hell to tell their stories in which female characters go through absolute hell.

Hitchcock, obviously. Kubrick crossed the line on The Shining. Lars Von Trier. And, Lynch, because I remember hearing Fire Walk With Me was incredibly trying for Sheryl Lee. 

At the same time, like, Fire Walk With Me and Dancer in the Dark are two of my favourite fucking movies, so, like, fuck.

c.i., mnemosyne and Moon like this

(to be fair to Lynch, he doesn't seem to play headgames with his actors as some kind of Method bullshit - he trusts his actors to give good performances in general, so maybe including him with those other assholes is unfair)

Moon and c.i. like this

18 minutes ago, Lauren Tsai said:

Remember when Lynch wanted to kiss Madgkin so he just wrote Gordon Cole doing it?

and isn't the line literally something like "just two CONSENTING adults sharing a smooch" 

fuck :lol: 

ocean likes this

i'm frankly weirded out that he started dating sheryl lee on the twin peaks set. when she casually brought that up in an interview i was taken aback a bit. she was probably 24 or 25, but the circumstances are still weird to me. i can't help but shake the fact that he used his position and status to get there.

2 minutes ago, dregs said:

and isn't the line literally something like "just two CONSENTING adults sharing a smooch" 

fuck :lol: 

Then, saying that he might regret it the rest of his days unless he did it, Cole leaned in to kiss her. Bobby Briggs, entering the diner, angrily shouted at them, prompting Cole to yell, "YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT!"

He then advised Bobby that he would soon see it again, and kissed Shelly a second time.

21 minutes ago, Dale Nixon said:

i'm frankly weirded out that he started dating sheryl lee on the twin peaks set. when she casually brought that up in an interview i was taken aback a bit. she was probably 24 or 25, but the circumstances are still weird to me. i can't help but shake the fact that he used his position and status to get there.

never knew this 

ocean likes this

1 hour ago, Salem said:

(to be fair to Lynch, he doesn't seem to play headgames with his actors as some kind of Method bullshit - he trusts his actors to give good performances in general, so maybe including him with those other assholes is unfair)

Except for maybe in that example you just posted

ocean likes this

1 hour ago, Salem said:

There is a genre of director that puts primarily female actors through absolute hell to tell their stories in which female characters go through absolute hell.

Hitchcock, obviously. Kubrick crossed the line on The Shining. Lars Von Trier. And, Lynch, because I remember hearing Fire Walk With Me was incredibly trying for Sheryl Lee. 

At the same time, like, Fire Walk With Me and Dancer in the Dark are two of my favourite fucking movies, so, like, fuck.

I have been told many times how these works are brilliant and even feminist because they portray the struggles of women

It's one of the major reasons I think men shouldn't be allowed to make anything for at least five years

Salem, ocean and psycho like this

1 hour ago, Dale Nixon said:

:|

She is one year older than Jennifer Lynch.

17 hours ago, dregs said:

if it turns out Malick is a trash can man I will finally end it all. Complete loss of faith.

imagine terrence sitting at home, wondering why he feel so unfulfilled in the sex offender aspect of his life, as he labors at another film that will take 10 years to actually get to hollywood...

This seems dangerously close to "men are just wired that way, it's just science":

The unique lifestyle on the Hill helps fuel a hostile culture. Many male members are far away from their families, including their spouses, during the week, frequently working late nights and attending evening fundraisers and events where alcohol flows freely. Often, they are staffed by younger, female employees. Some members of Congress forgo a Washington-area apartment and sleep in their offices, a practice several sources highlighted as problematic.

psycho, ocean and Moon like this

too bad the article suggests pretty strongly that they're talking about house members.

probably long tenured ones, to accumulate reputations like that.

who could it be...

my money's on lamar smith for tx... who suspiciously just this month announced his retirement...

800px-Lamarsmith.thumb.jpg.270eea1e8ffd861916f7838123c5b02f.jpg

for ca... eh, how about this creep

Ken_Calvert_official_photo.jpg.478c12b4d2512a2358a1d57e6415ef97.jpg