Sign in to follow this  
Phoebe Halliwell

Men Are Trash: The Megathread

An assault case involving John Travolta has resurfaced, wonder if this will play out like the others. I don't think Scientology is anywhere near as powerful as they used to be.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/14/john-travolta-sexual-battery-case-involving-21-year-old-male-masseur-resurfaces/

According to the reddit thread on this, Scientology has also covered up three separate instances of rape allegations against Danny Masterson.

Phoebe Halliwell and psycho like this

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/danny-masterson-rape-allegations

According to Tony Ortega, a journalist who covers the Church of Scientology, the women who have accused Masterson of rape were interviewed for the docu-series Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath—but the episode was shelved amid concerns that it would interfere with the L.A.P.D. investigation. However, now that numerous Hollywood stars and other powerful men have come under fire for sexual-misconduct allegations, questions are rising again about how the Masterson claims will be handled—and what the docu-series will do with the episode it kept off the air.

Obviously not the important detail there, but I love that Leah Remini show and I wonder if that episode will ever see the light of day. They've done plenty of other interviews detailing the way the church covers up abuse in their ranks.

ocean likes this

It's such a toxic organization, from its inception. It was created by a malignant narcissist, and after he finally died it was taken over and weaponized by a stone cold sociopath. They're worth billions and they just chew people up and spit them out.

6 minutes ago, eeeezypeezy said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/danny-masterson-rape-allegations

According to Tony Ortega, a journalist who covers the Church of Scientology, the women who have accused Masterson of rape were interviewed for the docu-series Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath—but the episode was shelved amid concerns that it would interfere with the L.A.P.D. investigation. However, now that numerous Hollywood stars and other powerful men have come under fire for sexual-misconduct allegations, questions are rising again about how the Masterson claims will be handled—and what the docu-series will do with the episode it kept off the air.

Obviously not the important detail there, but I love that Leah Remini show and I wonder if that episode will ever see the light of day. They've done plenty of other interviews detailing the way the church covers up abuse in their ranks.

leah remini's show is at once so great and also so bad. she is truly doing the lord's work though

the episode where they did a roundtable discussion on the bridge to total freedom and had a bunch of former scientology people and her mom was fucking fascinating

ocean and eeeezypeezy like this

51 minutes ago, Parrot said:

Also how big of a meltdown is this board going to have when it comes Nathan Fielder is a creep ball?

See this is the sort of toxic stuff I'm talking about, why is everyone just trying to make people miserable? DIE!

Parrot and dregs like this

20 minutes ago, dregs said:

not to sound like an MRA here or something, but are we really just going to throw baseless accusations at someone based on a character they play in a show :lol: 

#LeaveNathanAlone 

Not that I think it's particularly a warning sign in Nathan's case (although would it be a surprise at this point?), but isnt a major point of these recent outings of male trashbaggery is that we should be more wary of the "characters" men portray.

Whole lotta "that makes sense" going around, but people chose to ignore those signs in the face of it being all an act so the man himself couldn't possibly be that way

Sure I think that's totally fair to be weary of truly disgusting portrayals especially when it's being placed in a positive light (ie a lot of CKs standup) 

Nathan plays a damn nerd who wants a GF in his show, and is apparently nothing like that off camera. 

It's truly a witch hunt to simply post an out of context video from a series (based around pranking people!) and say "See it's only a matter of time before he gets accused too!" 

e: not to mention literally HOPING someone has been assaulted so others no longer get to enjoy their art :lol: poor taste imo 

c.i., Lights and shakes like this

I think there is a certain point where it can cross over from concern for victims and anger at the systems that create and protect powerful men into a hollow tearing down of media signifiers at the expense of a focus on material, structural reality. But we aren't there yet, the general public is still trying to wrap their heads around the scope of the problem.

"Should we be surprised if a seemingly-well-meaning popular dude like Nathan Fielder turns out to be a creep too?" seems like a healthy question to be asking. "I hope that he is a creep" not so much, but I didn't see anyone saying that seriously.

Moon, Parrot and Salem like this

Im just responding to your "we shouldn't judge people by their characters" post, dude. 

do you really think because you think Parrot wants someone assaulted in the name of a board meltdown, that it is useless to examine the characters men choose to protray? thats a major re-framing of what I'm actually trying to say, but continue being obtuse

Pregnant Chad likes this

4 minutes ago, dregs said:

I've always been told the people who virtue signal the hardest have the most to hide 

are you afraid the minor you hooked up with at a meetup will have something to say in the future? 

:lol: extra spicy. Do you always resort to bullshit when you're defending comedians on the internet

1 hour ago, eeeezypeezy said:

It's not presuming the worst in everyone, it's recognizing that sexual assaults are extremely common and the perpetrators don't walk around with "I am a rapist" tattooed on their foreheads. It's a social problem rather than an individual problem, and wrapping your mind around that is an important step on the road to grappling with the actual gravity of the situation.

And a big part of combatting a structural problem is getting people to look at their own behavior and attitudes and their own roles in reinforcing and reproducing the social system. Don't wanna gloss over THAT.

1 hour ago, BEAST said:

Is it though? We should be surprised if decent seeming people turn out to be cunts. I personally don't live my life presuming the worst in everyone, it's a horrible outlook to have and isn't going to make for a happy mind, body or soul. 

the entire point of #metoo was to share the magnitude of the problem and to break down conventional understanding of what types of people do bad things. it was to give concrete evidence to people who have wondered why women feel discomfort around men, and to finally give credibility to a shared experience for many women that has not been taken seriously in the past. it must be nice to still be surprised by it each time.

psycho, Pregnant Chad and ocean like this

1 hour ago, BEAST said:

I personally don't live my life presuming the worst in everyone, it's a horrible outlook to have and isn't going to make for a happy mind, body or soul. 

I mean, you're a dude, so if you assume wrong what's the worst that could happen, really.