Sign in to follow this  
deadlizard

2017 Annex Album of the Year RESULTS Megathread

15 hours ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

(144) Mount Kimbie ~ Love What Survives

[79 Points / 2 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: alan (10)

“I had bought us Mount Kimbie tickets thinking the show was this weekend, turns out it's next month. so i invited her over for dinner instead and made lemony garlic chicken, buttery broccoli, rosemary potatoes and a dijon vinagrette salad. CC: food thread. also, got laid. !!!! big t'ings i hope” - dusty

13 hours ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

(109) M.E.S.H. ~ Hesaitix

[98 Points / 2 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: mylo (6)

“all about that mesh album” -rationalballs

(108) British Sea Power ~ Let the Dancers Inherit the Party

[100 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: alan (13)

"BSP comes back with a clarity of purpose they haven't had in a while, and this record benefits tremendously from that. Instead of veering off in a million directions, styles, and moods, they've gone back to the upbeat indie rock from their early years and it's somehow much more interesting than their past few LPs." -Bill

(106) Lee Gamble ~ Mnestic Pressure

[102 Points / 2 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: alan (4)

“is it better than those other twoLee Gamble albums I listened to like a year ago and didn't like?” I am a damn ass bunny (2014)

oof.

least i get why BSP would be that low but man...

(95) Mogwai ~ Every Country’s Sun
[121 Points / 2 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: benno (1)
“just realized the last time I listened to a new mogwai album was 11 years ago :\ 
feeling old atm” – I am a damn ass bunny

"Have Mogwai gone and done a metal album" - Salem

"I like many things! My burd from the Philippines, new music by Mogwai, my adopted home of whatever the North American equivalent of Australia happens to be." - dunderhead

(94) godspeed you! black emperor ~ Luciferian Towers
[122 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Theremin (8)
“the least subtle presentation ever on a godspeed album, but the music bangs.  much better than "asunder..." – dhsb

"A Godspeed album in 2017, classic Theremin right? But it's actually their best post-hiatus album, even the drones are good this time!” - Theremin

(93) Thurston Moore ~ Rock N Roll Consciousness
[123 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Darren (5)
“You make me sick” - Holly Jolly Arse Magic

“in which his new band finally comes into their own, no longer making me sad they arent sonic youth instead. its thurstons show but he has genuine creative foils again and id love to see them keep at it” - shakes

(92) Japandroids ~ Near to the Wild Heart of Life
[124 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: dhsb (4)
"for all the talk of japandroids beefing up their sound in the studio, it's pretty much the same kinds of songs they've always been writing.  which, after five years, is more than welcome” – dhsb

"new japandroids album is good, fight me" - lukin?

'chorus is "no known drink or drug will make our shitty music sound good"' - Kemper Boyd

(91) Uniform ~ Wake in Fright
[125 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: alan (2)
“I wear my battle uniform because I'm usually off to kill some 12 year olds later that night” - mogi

44 minutes ago, sugarface said:

"the least subtle presentation ever on a godspeed album, but the music bangs.  much better than "asunder..." – dhsb

"for all the talk of japandroids beefing up their sound in the studio, it's pretty much the same kinds of songs they've always been writing.  which, after five years, is more than welcome” – dhsb

please stop putting words in my mouth 

3 hours ago, sam said:

:psyduck: tfw you haven't been arsed to vote and you see some of your faves of the year trip the first hurdle

:smdh: 

well, which ones

29 minutes ago, wahdiohead said:

is it too late for me to submit my list

:harden: 

1 hour ago, shakes said:

gonna relistedn to sea lice thanks to that blurb

:lol: same 

Also I totally forgot about most of the albums listed so far like xx, japandroids, future islands :W

fuckin gorillaz smh what a letdown 

don't think I listened to prisoner since the week it  as released... 

(90) Anna of the North ~ Lovers
[126 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Lights (4)
“If you even vaguely like scandi-pop then listen to this immediately, it's absolutely brilliant and deserves to be way higher than whichever place it ends up at.” - Lights

(89) Kitty ~ Miami Garden Club
[126 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: deadlizard (1)
"On one hand it’s a homer pick, I joined the kickstarter for it and have been looking forward to it for 5 years. I own the vinyl with no way to play it. she's been through a lot, a terrible childhood, being treated like a meme and a joke by people and media figures instead of a human being, shitty producers that used her. She learned to make beats, lost the first version of the album when her bag was stolen at an airport, and she came back and made it again. I’m sure it’s not that unique of a story for women in the industry sadly, but it’s the one I’m familiar with, and it just made me that much happier that she found a way to get this out and more importantly find happiness. On the other hand, the music is fucking great." –dliz

“Anyway, I was absolutely loving this album until 509 Seabreeze, which is about the point where the 90s nostaliga got a bit too real
Mass Text Booty Call -> Running Away -> If U Wanna Come Over is an insanely good run.” -salem

Also you forgot to post a list @Heart Space

(88) 2 Chainz ~ Pretty Girls Like Trap Music
[128 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Roger (18)
“2 Chainz is a fucking miracle on everything.” - BEAST

(87) S.A.M. ~ Dream State of a Bellmaker
[128 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: C.I. (2)
"An exquisite 70 minutes of lush, emotional house music that probably strikes some as saccharine but will do it for me every single time." -CI

(86) Lil B ~ Black Ken
[129 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Palo (12)
“black ken is the biggest hip hop achievement of 2017 imho” - keith

ocean and pentachris like this

17 hours ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

(143) Nmesh ~ Pharma

[80 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Hector (10)

“Another eclectic album of plunderphonics from one of vaporwave's biggest names.  So far I'm enjoying this, which is strange considering I generally found what he's done in the 15 years previous to be generally boring and lazy-sounding.  This sounds like a lot more effort was put into it, at least.” –Hector

“(Feel free to completely undercut this post by posting a video of Gillibrand shaving puppies, then leaving them in an arctic tundra and selling their fur to big pharma while laughing maniacally)” -mnemos

Best vaporwave album IMO

yeah, I would have loved to have seen them live, but the record, what are ya gonna do.

they made it pretty clear in the press leading up to its release that it was just a way to blow off some steam, away from working on their respective next solo records, which :hype: 

(85) Yaeji ~ Yaeji
[129 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Moon (10)
“dang Yaeji is like the fastest sell ever” - Servbot

(84) Phoebe Bridgers ~ Stranger in the Alps
[143 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: bflo (3)
"Another great debut! Bridgers has the most tender voice i can recall off the top of my head, and the way in which she sings about depressing subjects makes her sound a bit older than 23. Some awkward turns of phrase here and there are forgiven by the time she wryly sings about shower beers on ""scott street"".

Quick anecdote: I saw her sing ""Lua"" with Conor Oberst over the summer as the opening act for Wilco, and it was incredible, she blew him out of the water. i've never seen a crowd take to an unknown artists like that either. If a cover of that song was on this album, it might've ended up even higher on my list." – Roger Sterling

(83) The Necks ~ Unfold
[145 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: dunderhead (7)
“These are four shorter tracks by their standards (i.e. 15-21 minutes), which has never really been their forte, but on balance I'm impressed. "Blue Mountain" in particular is one of their masterpieces.” – Hector

(82) Bell Witch ~ Mirror Reaper
[145 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: big bird (4)
“what a bad year for albums! this is probably my favorite this year from what ive heard. going to go through RYM's list of the highest rated stuff to scour some things i havent heard yet.” – big bird

(81) Circuit des Yeux ~ Reaching For Indigo
[145 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: landon (2)
“Very good, slightly reminiscent of Tim Buckley, albeit a bit more heavy / weird. Had no idea this was coming. One of 2017s best surprises” –A Fine Bottle of Wine

Roger Sterling and pentachris like this

3 hours ago, sugarface said:

Also I got laid to this one time and I always have to brag about having sex so here is me doing that.” - deadlizard

:lol: what? please hit us up with your bonerjamz 2017 playlist.

2 hours ago, sugarface said:

(93) Thurston Moore ~ Rock N Roll Consciousness
[123 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Darren (5)
“You make me sick” - Holly Jolly Arse Magic

“in which his new band finally comes into their own, no longer making me sad they arent sonic youth instead. its thurstons show but he has genuine creative foils again and id love to see them keep at it” - shakes

Nice comment, but I don't agree with it at all. His list album was pretty straightforward and maybe dull, but had more highlights than this one IMO

51 minutes ago, sugarface said:

(86) Lil B ~ Black Ken
[129 Points / 4 Votes]

Four votes? Shame.

7 minutes ago, sugarface said:

(84) Phoebe Bridgers ~ Stranger in the Alps
[143 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: bflo (3)
"Another great debut! Bridgers has the most tender voice i can recall off the top of my head, and the way in which she sings about depressing subjects makes her sound a bit older than 23. Some awkward turns of phrase here and there are forgiven by the time she wryly sings about shower beers on ""scott street"".

Quick anecdote: I saw her sing ""Lua"" with Conor Oberst over the summer as the opening act for Wilco, and it was incredible, she blew him out of the water. i've never seen a crowd take to an unknown artists like that either. If a cover of that song was on this album, it might've ended up even higher on my list." – Roger Sterling

More people need to hear this one.

Roger Sterling, Lights, bflo and 1 other like this

(80) DJ Sports ~ Modern Species
[146 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: cygh (9)
“it's always been a very pretty record but now in a way where i actually want to take it outside and incorporate it in my everyday instead of just admiring aesthetics.” -alan

(79) Jesu & Sun Kil Moon ~ 30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth
[146 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: keith (5)
"To anyone who doesn't feel emotionally devastated by every bowel movement done by Mark Kozelek, I have this to say to you: Fuck You.” –keith
“Dude needs to retire but this worked somehow” –CI
“btw when I had the aux in DC @oil bitch strongly implored me to stop playing the greatest conversation in the history of the universe about halfway through ”

(78) Jane Weaver ~ Modern Kosmology
[147 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: benno (8)
“Was just listening to Jane Weavers Modern Kosmology due to it appearing in both Mojo and Uncuts list but Christ that’s a bore. Completely run-of-the-mill dream pop that sounds like it came from 2010.” – A Fine Bottle of Wine

(77) DJ Seinfeld ~ Time Spent Away From U
[148 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: C.I. (6)
“Fake as fuck but still an irresistible ride from start to finish” – CI
“this dj seinfeld shit slaps” – I am a damn ass bunny
“They don't say slaps anymore, it's borts now. That biz borts” – Servbot
“no it isn't” – I am a damn ass bunny

(76) Calvin Harris ~ Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1
[150 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Roger (2)
"To many here, I would guess this was/will be written off as normie party music. idgaf, it delivers something i've wanted for years... 35 minutes of near perfect retro pop songs stuffed with guest stars doing what they do best. as if daft punk discarded the bullshit and just made 10 #1 hits with niles rogers like they should have. ""slide"" and ""heatstroke"" are easily my most played songs of the year. on the latter, calvin got young thug to fucking enunciate! that deserves its own grammy. 

This was a go to for driving, any sunny day, and every social gathering throughout the year. i urge anyone who wrote this one off after hearing the singles to at least revisit the more downtempo final two songs, where two female vocalists shine and lil yachty delivers another fire guest verse. hopefully harris produces more for younger artists like these in the future."-Roger Sterling

shakes and pentachris like this

1 hour ago, sugarface said:

(90) Anna of the North ~ Lovers
[126 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Lights (4)
“If you even vaguely like scandi-pop then listen to this immediately, it's absolutely brilliant and deserves to be way higher than whichever place it ends up at.” - Lights

(89) Kitty ~ Miami Garden Club
[126 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: deadlizard (1)
"On one hand it’s a homer pick, I joined the kickstarter for it and have been looking forward to it for 5 years. I own the vinyl with no way to play it. she's been through a lot, a terrible childhood, being treated like a meme and a joke by people and media figures instead of a human being, shitty producers that used her. She learned to make beats, lost the first version of the album when her bag was stolen at an airport, and she came back and made it again. I’m sure it’s not that unique of a story for women in the industry sadly, but it’s the one I’m familiar with, and it just made me that much happier that she found a way to get this out and more importantly find happiness. On the other hand, the music is fucking great." –dliz

“Anyway, I was absolutely loving this album until 509 Seabreeze, which is about the point where the 90s nostaliga got a bit too real
Mass Text Booty Call -> Running Away -> If U Wanna Come Over is an insanely good run.” -salem

Also you forgot to post a list @Heart Space

(88) 2 Chainz ~ Pretty Girls Like Trap Music
[128 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Roger (18)
“2 Chainz is a fucking miracle on everything.” - BEAST

(87) S.A.M. ~ Dream State of a Bellmaker
[128 Points / 4 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: C.I. (2)
"An exquisite 70 minutes of lush, emotional house music that probably strikes some as saccharine but will do it for me every single time." -CI

(86) Lil B ~ Black Ken
[129 Points / 4 Votes]

I was writing one the other day and I accidentally went out of the page and when I went back it was GONE and I'd already wasted 15 minutes on it and couldn't be bothered to do it again :oops:

Kitty was somewhere in the top 5, maybe top 3. Everyone just pretend that album placed about 30 places higher, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Heart Space said:

I was writing one the other day and I accidentally went out of the page and when I went back it was GONE and I'd already wasted 15 minutes on it and couldn't be bothered to do it again :oops:

Kitty was somewhere in the top 5, maybe top 3. Everyone just pretend that album placed about 30 places higher, thanks.

:spongebob: 

why i always make my lists in google docs 

1 hour ago, c.i. said:

I don't think I ever even listened to sea lice in its entirety.

:hecks: 

yeah it just wasn't grabbing me with anything so i just didn't bother finishing

Palo likes this