Sign in to follow this  
deadlizard

2017 Annex Album of the Year RESULTS Megathread

2 hours ago, ocean said:

:smdh: 

well, which ones

tbh it was just the one.. but I reckon it would have been in my top 5!

(144) Mount Kimbie ~ Love What Survives

[79 Points / 2 Votes]

I imagine my no 1 won't even feature...

(75) Manaka Kataoka ~ The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild OST
[150 Points / 2 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: the dude, Servbot (1)

“And playing the new Zelda . Pretty excellent together. I just was hit with an ice arrow, fell off the wall whose corner I thought I had rounded, and landed in a river of slime.” -dunderhead

"Watched 5 minutes of Breath of the Wild on YouTube and can confirm that it looked very boring and terrible indeed - like every Zelda game!" - Lights

(74) Forest Swords ~ Compassion
[151 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: the dude (10)
“Gave the new Forest Swords a listen last night and I enjoyed it so much. Very good album, overall. It seemed like a nice refinement and more mature and confident version of what he'd been since the start. In a lot of ways, it felt like Four Tet's There Is Love In You” – dundy

“i just really loveforest swords ' entire aesthetic” –lukin?

(73) Hey Violet ~ From The Outside
[153 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: cygh (1)
“Listening to that Hey Violet album for the first time, and it sounds great! Should have listened to it months ago” – Heart Space

“That Hey Violet album is GOOD” - BEAST

(72) Girlpool ~ Powerplant
[155 Points / 6 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Palo (5)
"This album grew on me throughout the year. The band added a drummer this time around to give a little more structure and power to their sound. Sure, they’ve lost some of their rough qualities but somehow did so without losing any of their charm." -Palo

(71) Perfume Genius ~ No Shape
[156 Points / 5 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: belly!, Nudist (10)
“A perfume genius ought to be able to obscure the stench of that terrible karaoke singing” – Kemper Boyd

39 minutes ago, sugarface said:

(75) Manaka Kataoka ~ The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild OST
[150 Points / 2 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: the dude, Servbot (1)

“And playing the new Zelda . Pretty excellent together. I just was hit with an ice arrow, fell off the wall whose corner I thought I had rounded, and landed in a river of slime.” -dunderhead

"Watched 5 minutes of Breath of the Wild on YouTube and can confirm that it looked very boring and terrible indeed - like every Zelda game!" - Lights

@Jonathan Trott might not know to check here for some quality Nintendo bashing opportunities 

(70) MUNA ~ About U

[156 Points / 4 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: green chocolate (5)

“Thanks festive fifty! Whatever dark pop is, i'm here for it.” – ocean

“Thank god for "I Know A Place" coming in and brushing off the Doritos dust scattered all over this episode.” – Joan Callamezzo

(69) Susanne Sundfør ~ Music for People in Trouble

[156 Points / 4 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: green chocolate (4)

“The only ones playing around here are terrible local hip-hop acts, metal, metal, local-shit-indie-electro and Susanne Sundfør who I've seen too many times already.

Let's just check what's playing today,

oh Wolfmother. Fuck off.” -Tor

(68) Litku Klemetti ~ Juna Kaiuuseen

[157 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: the dude, Servbot (4)

torinn818 Feb 01 2017  

Okay, so I love Finnish. The language, I mean. It just sounds so cool! It's European but not- Finno-Ugric, so both at the same time, sorta, y'know- and sounds like a mixture between Japanese and Italian. That's cool, right? Right?? I'm not the only one that thinks that, yeah?

Anyways, the fact that it's in Finnish is the best part about Juna Kainuuseen. Otherwise, it's a mostly unremarkable collection of post-DeMarco lo-fi pop. There's not really a compelling song on this thing, except for maybe the title track, whose unexpectedly triumphant chorus barely makes up for its overstayed welcome. Other than that, not much to say about this thing- maybe my Mac DeMarco quip was more accurate than I intended, because this really does sound like Mac DeMarco music sung by a Finnish time traveler from the disco era (the "time traveler from the disco era" comment is a negative, in case you were wondering. I hope you knew that). What this means is that Juna Kainuuseen means nothing, sounds like nothing, and is good for nothing. Bad for nothing, too, but still- not really worth listening to.

5/10. (-1 because it's boring, +1 because it's in Finnish.)

(67) Charli XCX ~ Number 1 Angel

[159 Points / 5 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: BEAST (6)

"Had so much fun spinning this this year! Not the most consistent but I guess as a mixtape it isn’t trying to be, and there is some glorious shit on here." – ocean

"Redeemed PC Music and it didn't even seem like she was trying that hard on this one. Pop 2 is superior, but I think I still stand by my take that ILY2 is the best song on either mixtape this year, and preceded by Emotional it’s one of the most showstopper back to backs on any album this year."- dliz

(66) Laura Marling ~ Semper Femina

[159 Points / 5 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Condite (2)

"Pretty much a lock for my top 10 anytime she releases an album, she's incredibly consistent but still finds ways to surprise. The drop dead gorgeousness of The Valley, the sputtering percussion on Wild Fire, all the guitar work on Nothing, Not Nearly" –dliz

“this is brimming with such masterful confidence that i think its silly to bother ranking it among her discography. id love a whole album like soothing but again, shes so clearly doing what she wants, and doing it so well, and i will gladly shut up and go with it” -shakes

pentachris, ocean, shakes and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

(68) Litku Klemetti ~ Juna Kaiuuseen

[157 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: the dude, Servbot (4)

torinn818 Feb 01 2017  

Okay, so I love Finnish. The language, I mean. It just sounds so cool! It's European but not- Finno-Ugric, so both at the same time, sorta, y'know- and sounds like a mixture between Japanese and Italian. That's cool, right? Right?? I'm not the only one that thinks that, yeah?

Anyways, the fact that it's in Finnish is the best part about Juna Kainuuseen. Otherwise, it's a mostly unremarkable collection of post-DeMarco lo-fi pop. There's not really a compelling song on this thing, except for maybe the title track, whose unexpectedly triumphant chorus barely makes up for its overstayed welcome. Other than that, not much to say about this thing- maybe my Mac DeMarco quip was more accurate than I intended, because this really does sound like Mac DeMarco music sung by a Finnish time traveler from the disco era (the "time traveler from the disco era" comment is a negative, in case you were wondering. I hope you knew that). What this means is that Juna Kainuuseen means nothing, sounds like nothing, and is good for nothing. Bad for nothing, too, but still- not really worth listening to.

5/10. (-1 because it's boring, +1 because it's in Finnish.)

fun album, amazed it got so high. Fourth best of the year for some people?

(65) Migos ~ Culture

[160 Points / 7 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Roger (13)

“"Learning to love Migos' ad libs is like learning a new local dialect. When it clicks, though.” – Roger

“Great album, but it's a shame they hate gay people. RIP YNWA their career.” - BEAST

(64) blanck mass ~ world eater

[119 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: dhsb (5)

“Hell yeah” - Hector

(63) Lana Del Rey ~ Lust for Life

[163 Points / 6 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Plopsack (4)

“I couldn't make it all the way thru.

it's not bad just kinda pointless?

Shame” - CI

(62) Juana Molina ~ Halo

[168 Points / 5 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: sugarface (9)

“y'all are really missing out on the newjuana molina , easily her best album in years” – I am a damn ass bunny

(61) Angelo Badalamenti ~ Twin Peaks: Music from the Limited Event Series

[169 Points / 3 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: mylo (2), Moon (3)

“There's no way that theTwin Peaks S3 OST doesn't end up in my EOY top 5....AOTY contender of course.” - mylo

(60) Kamasi Washington ~ Harmony of Difference

[178 Points / 5 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: burger (5)

“Liking it a lot so far. Much less of a slog than his first album (even though I like that one).” - Moon

pentachris and ocean like this

(59) Mac DeMarco ~ This Old Dog

[178 Points / 7 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Palo (3)

"With This Old Dog he is keeping the same ‘trademark’ sound from his last few albums but giving some more thought to the lyrics. Love the synthesizer accents. This is his best release to date, even if it may at times not distance itself too much from his past releases."- Palo

(58) Liars ~ TFCF

[180 Points / 7 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: benno (2)

“I had no idea there were so many foolish people here who don't appreciate Liars . They're blatantly one of the best bands to come out of the early '00s indie scene!!!!!” – mnemos

(57) Future ~ HNDRXX

[187 Points / 6 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Nudist (5)

“reminder that future + hndrxx is a massive accomplishment
its honestly shocking to me how much mask off has blown up. great song and all, just shocked that out of this set of 34 that was the one to explode first. fingers crossed it's fresh air next” - keith

"is future chanting percocet?  im into that.

it's reeally interesting hearing this slightly riced out backtrackn on future's song it just makes you miss old old riced wutang and realize what a pile of garbage future and r future is." - creep

(56) Algiers ~ The Underside Of Power

[196 Points / 4 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: Bill (2)

"These are like TV on the Radio if that band were way more interesting and way angrier. Vocalist Franklin Fisher has a voice like a fire and brimstone gospel singer, and he's fucking furious and he's letting you know. This is extremely obvious on ""Cleveland"" which features a segment name-checking black people who have died in alleged suicides, and then promises ""we""re coming back!"" It's aggressive, chilling, depressing, and hopeful all at once." - Bill

ocean, pentachris, shakes and 1 other like this

3 hours ago, sugarface said:

(73) Hey Violet ~ From The Outside
[153 Points / 3 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: cygh (1)
“Listening to that Hey Violet album for the first time, and it sounds great! Should have listened to it months ago” – Heart Space

“That Hey Violet album is GOOD” - BEAST

I was listening to this earlier today and it should've made my list. Idk what I was thinking. 

More people here should hear it too, it could've been this year's frank and derol maybe (not that it sounds like that)

Lights and BEAST like this

1 minute ago, sugarface said:

(43) Maroon 5 ~ Red Pill Blues
[287 Points / 6 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: John McClane (1), big bird (6), benno (7), the dude (9), Lights (15), Nudist (17)

"I’ve liked just about every Maroon 5 album with the exception of Overexposed. I’d argue that Red Pill Blues is the finest album of their career. There are very few screaming vocals and loud guitars this time around and it’s substituted with a lot of quiet whispers and acoustics. It all sounds like one big homage to the Jar of Flies EP from Alice in Chains, one of my favorite releases from the grunge era." - John McClane

"i feel for fans rn, especially for the fans who were so dedicated that they became easy to prey upon. i know they have like a freakishly dedicated fanbase and i can imagine it would suck to have the rug pulled out from under you like that with a band that is so significant in your life.   might i suggest you start stanning kelela instead" - hotrock

"I have no personal moral qualm with acknowledging its existence given the disclaimer. Not to mention I offered to remove it entirely and no one replied." - Servbot

this took me a second :lol: 

excellent