Sign in to follow this  
deadlizard

2017 Annex Album of the Year RESULTS Megathread

3 minutes ago, c.i. said:

I have no recollection of what Telephono sounds like but I'm pretty comfortable calling Hot Thoughts the worst spoon record by a long shot.

no way :lol: 

hot thoughts isnt peak spoon at all but it at least sounds like spoon, not bland pixies worship

Roger Sterling likes this

shakes and dunder are otm but hot thoughts definitely doesn't deserve this many posts itt

Let's save ourselves for the old skool LCD flame war at the top of the list :spicy:

did arcade fire not make it at all? At least there's that!

23 hours ago, sugarface said:

(96) Ride ~ Weather Diaries
[114 Points / 2 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Kemper (1)
“spicy friday first take: melodrama >weather diaries” - CI

this was not the hot take you thought it would be

ocean and deadlizard like this

52 minutes ago, sugarface said:

(41) Spoon ~ Hot Thoughts
[295 Points / 8 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: John McClane (2), Rcky Grvs (5)
"I had to listen to Hot Thoughts a few times before going to bat for it. There’s a couple of questionable tracks (namely, “Pink Up” and “Us”) with the latter being a random dud thrown in at the end." - John McClane

"spoon is dependable alright......dependably BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - benny

"Spoon is ahead of Charli on the Atease list, if that happens in our list, I am OUTTA HERE!" - BEAST

18 hours ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

(67) Charli XCX ~ Number 1 Angel

[159 Points / 5 Votes]

Ranked Highest By: BEAST (6)

the question is, who is going to hold maze to account? mods?

dunderhead likes this

fantastic; moving on

(40) Actress ~ AZD
[297 Points / 8 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: alan (1), the dude, Servbot (3)
"first half is pretty much standard Actress  stuff, second half is very tasty indeed though." - BEAST

"Actress is really good but I guess it depends on the actress ... has Meryl Streep put out an album?" - keith

(39) Brockhampton ~ Saturation II
[300 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: lukin? (8)
"still can't believe theirs a rap group from my dumb well-off suburb hometown and that they're p. good." - deadlizard

(38) Wolf Alice ~ Visions of a Life
[304 Points / 8 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: bflo (2)
“Solid follow up from a band I've liked for a while, I think they are going to release a true classic at some point though, and it will be sensational.” - Lights

(37) Queens of the Stone Age ~ Villains
[306 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Rcky Grvs (3)
"Really digging it. The Way You Used To works better in context. Only time will tell how highly I rate it within their discography but right now I'm a contented fan." - sam

"crazy good. the verse (?) chord progression riff thing is nuts homme genius" - Kemper Boyd

(36) Gas ~ Narkopop
[313 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: keith (1)
"The perfect sequel to the optimistic forests of Pop, Narkopop finds beauty in the darkness and horrors of our world. After a year of chaos, Narkopop became the default sound and place I used for escape." - keith

"anthony fandango gave narkopop a 2 lmao" - mylo

ocean and pentachris like this

(35) Julien Baker ~ Turn Out the Lights
[325 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: sugarface, Theremin (3), bflo (4),
"Ridiculously melodramatic, I love it." - Theremin.

"basically the best version of a greys anatomy soundtrack. Sounds like an insult but some of the arrangements are astounding, and she can write some worthy lyrics" - Roger Sterling

'"If I could do what I want / I would become an electrician / I'd climb inside my ears / And I would rearrange the wires in my brain"  :'):'):') ' - sugarface

(34) St. Vincent ~ MASSEDUCTION
[327 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: burger (1)
"I havent listened to the Spoon, St. Vincent, or National albums since they were released, so i guess big tent indie had a rough year"  - Bill

"not awful, but not into the direction she's gone" - kcwyckoff

"she's moving in a direction I'm not really interested in." - A Fine Bottle of Wine

"listening through a bunch of Levon Vincent EPs. Unbelievably good." - rossiter

(33) Run the Jewels ~ Run the Jewels 3
[332 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: alien (2), benno (5)
"these albums never stick with me for more than a week for some reason, but it's a bad ass week!" - deadlizard

"rather underwhelmed. It's inconsistent." - John McClane (January 16, 2017)

"kicks ass" - John McClane (December 5, 2017)

(32) Arca ~ Arca
[335 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: mnemos (7)
"arca tweeted a photo of me once" - benny

(31) Taylor Swift ~ Reputation
[345 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Lights (3)
“As much as people seemed desperate to hate this before it came out, you can't hate an album which is indisputably full of amazing songs  unlucky idiots, maybe her next album will be bad!” - Lights

ocean and pentachris like this

(30) Waxahatchee ~ Out in the Storm
[349 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: green chocolate (8)
"went to see the waxahatchee video i linked to pages ago and there was 1 more thumb down than the last time i watched it, and i'm sure it was from here - whoever did this, DIE!!!" - green chocolate

"after realllly paying attention to the lyrics, this is everything we need in 2017" - ocean

"thrilled to be spending this beautiful july day listening to the new waxahatchee" - dhsb

(29) Kelly Lee Owens ~ Kelly Lee Owens
[352 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: sugarface, shakes (5)
"this album by kelly lee owens ...........OWNS" - hotrock

"the kelly lee owens  album is in heavy rotation. that is very much my breed of bleep" - shakes

"just really easy to like." - sam

"hmm yes" - c.i.

(28) Charly Bliss ~ Guppy
[357 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: BEAST (2), hotrock (5)
"crunchy pop classics, full of hooks that swell to impossible heights" - shakes

"It's 1998, it's a lovely summers evening in Sunnydale, I'm off to the Bronze with my pal Buffy, unfortunately her toad of a m8 Xander insists on tagging along but hopefully Willow can distract him. We're at the Bronze and it's only bloody Charly Bliss playing! What a lovely evening." - BEAST

"when I was like 8 years old, I shared a room with my sister, and WE HATED EACH OTHER! one of the only sisterly things we did was play a game in which we would put on an album by someone like veruca salt (this would be eight arms to hold you era) or liz phair (this would be whitechocolatespaceegg era) and each pick a sweet valley high book of comparable length and have a speed reading competition to see who could finish the book first. that is what charly bliss's guppy sounds like. westermarck, dq, and ruby are amazing, listen to them now. also the lead guitarist for this band was the little kid in the incredibles lmao." - hotrock

"I decided to check out Charly Bliss  based on its ranking in hotrock's list and this dumbfuck review I found on RYM anyway, it's solid." - Dale Nixon

(27) Fever Ray ~ Plunge
[361 Points / 8 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: mnemos (2), the dude (5)

"absolutely loving this fever ray album it's absolutely perfect for me right now" - mnemos

"I quite like the Fever Ray record, idk about you is an absolute banger" - mypetiguana

"Reminded me a bit of that tedious ANOHNI record." - Hector

"all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and left me rolling my eyes" - dunderhead

(26) King Krule ~ the OOZ
[378 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: keith (2)
"Maybe the most emotionally resonating album of 2017 for me. It's an ugly mess, but always honest. The OOZ is the ideal soundtrack for hacking back darts in the bitter cold." - keith

"I like it pretty well, but it's a bit long." - pentachris

"I'll sign on to the King Krule record being very good. Even if it could use some trimming." - Moon

"new king krule is good it's overlong and some of it gets lost in the murk but he really nails the vibe" - lukin?

"last I checked I could not fuck w/ king krule  but some of this is really cool, there's just too much muck to wade thru" - Dave

"I like king krule" - benny

shakes, ocean and pentachris like this

(25) Laurel Halo ~ Dust
[382 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: C.I. (5)
"laurel halo is very good" - keith

"I kinda forget if I like Laurel Halo but this lp cover is sick" - c.i.

(24) Japanese Breakfast ~ Soft Sounds From Another Planet
[382 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: dunderhead (3), Plopsack, big bird (5)
"Walkin' back from breakfast with Caroline and we stopped for iced tea A fan stopped me on Decatur and said that she recognised meI asked where she was from, she said "don't worry, not Planet Crazy"" - c.i.

"Staying with my Brazilian friend in Paris allows me to indulge in some elegant Samba over a late breakfast ." - sam

"She should stop fannying about eating breakfast and get her third album out" - Heart Space

"grizzly bear eats turds and smokes ass hair for breakfast dude" - c.i.

(23) Paramore ~ After Laughter
[383 Points / 9 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: bflo (1), Lights (2), hotrock (3), pentachris (4)
“I almost forgot about this album towards the end of the year despite listening to it non-stop when it came out, but it's brilliant isn't it? Hayley Williams certainly knows how to write a good song, and while I kind of miss their Brand New Eyes era sometimes, I think the main reason they've stayed relevant while every other band from that scene disappeared is that they have evolved so well over the years. Great band!” - Lights

(22) Mount Eerie ~ A Crow Looked at Me
[400 Points / 8 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: landon (1), lukin, BEAST (4), kcwyckoff (5)
"I can honestly say I've never not wanted to listen to an album that I've enjoyed as much as this" - BEAST

"finally listened to the new mount eerie album tonight, it's really sad you guys also got bummed out about enough shit independent of that that I just realized I forgot to eat dinner lmao" - benny

(21) Protomartyr ~ Relatives in Descent
[419 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: Theremin, Darren Lamb (1)
"The early 80s rarely sounded better than on this 2017 album. Great stuff." - Theremin.

"honestly still a little baffled why they in particular have gotten so popular but they really grew on me recently and they were like EVEN BETTER live" - ocean

"this thing rips folks" - c.i.

"you have to have a right-wing regime to produce a classic post-punk album" - mylo

shakes, c.i., ocean and 1 other like this

6 minutes ago, sugarface said:

(24) Japanese Breakfast ~ Soft Sounds From Another Planet
[382 Points / 10 Votes]
Ranked Highest By: dunderhead (3), Plopsack, big bird (5)
"Walkin' back from breakfast with Caroline and we stopped for iced tea A fan stopped me on Decatur and said that she recognised meI asked where she was from, she said "don't worry, not Planet Crazy"" - c.i.

"Staying with my Brazilian friend in Paris allows me to indulge in some elegant Samba over a late breakfast ." - sam

"She should stop fannying about eating breakfast and get her third album out" - Heart Space

"grizzly bear eats turds and smokes ass hair for breakfast dude" - c.i.

I'm extremely confused rn