Sign in to follow this  
c.i.

Do you want to ingest a Tide Pod, by any means necessary?

aye may b

but ied bet a dollar now theres twice, thrice, as many children eating them or stockpiling them in their mouth, surely, thanks to the meme explosion

not the other way around

it creates interest

there' ll be deaths.  these will be pulled.

magnets☮ likes this

not saying they're not going to be pulled, just that this isn't new

Regardless of the media implications, videos of people eating Tide Pods are, of course, the last thing P&G wants to see. Pods have been the company's most successful product launch of the past decade since their 2012 debut. But reports of children and even adults dying or being seriously injured by ingesting the brightly colored products that look like candy to some people has been the bane of the brand's existence.

P&G replaced the original clear packaging with more opaque and harder-to open child-proof packages, and launched TV, online video and radio public-service announcements to warn people to keep the products away from children.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers reports more than 10,500 cases of poisonings from all laundry packs, not just Tide's, in 2017 (down from 11,500 in 2016 despite continued growth of the busines). Not just kids are at risk. Four adults with dementia have died from eating laundry detergent pods, while two children have, according to data released last year by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, c.i. said:

On January 1st, 2018, Instagram user greenpantsu posted a drawing of an anthropomorphic anime representation of Tide PODS named “Tide Pod Chan” (shown below). In 3 days it got over 5000 likes.

i know this may be unbelievable to some of you, but this was not me

eeeezypeezy and psycho like this

6 hours ago, c.i. said:

It would feel really satisfying though if meme culture successfully kills a product that literally has no actual consumer advantages

Ive often wondered this about the pods

Like, it saves you like three seconds? I guess the pouring motion required with liquid detergent is too much for some people 

At least the pods keep you from overusing detergent i guess? 

Pods are convenient if you have to do your laundry somewhere other than your house/building, because you can just take a few pods instead of a whole big bottle of detergent. Also convenient for travel, like if you're staying somewhere with a washing machine. Otherwise, it's not really worth the added cost. 

On 1/14/2018 at 4:12 PM, c.i. said:

It would feel really satisfying though if meme culture successfully kills a product that literally has no actual consumer advantages

It saves you from the 10 seconds of unscrewing the cap and pouring detergent into it :| 

Yes..once may not same like a lot. But over a lifetime? :4chan:

Kindergarten Plop likes this

12 hours ago, mogi said:

It saves you from the 10 seconds of unscrewing the cap and pouring detergent into it :| 

Yes..once may not same like a lot. But over a lifetime? :4chan:

Yeah, most people use front-loading washers here and it's far quicker and cleaner to just throw in a capsule/tablet instead of measuring and pouring liquid or powder into the little drawer thing. When it's as cheap as like 15p per wash, who gives a toss?

pentachris and BEAST like this