Sign in to follow this  
wahdiohead

Premier League 2014–15

Man U played a friendly here against an Italian team.

While United won the match, the manager whined about the heat and the elevation.

Ugh. In Ecuador, they play matches almost twice the elevation as Denver. Guy sounds like a real whiner and if I didn't have reason enough to dislike this team, this adds to my distaste.

It's annoying when people complain about the elevation — especially athletes — as it really shouldn't be much an issue, especially if you acclimatize.

And it is pathetic when a coach complains about conditions, as if there is a proper temperature and idea atmospheric pressure to play a competitive sport. The conditions affect both sides, for fuck's sake.

It simply isn't sporting at all.

I really don't think it was too out of left field for me to invoke Ecuador as a place where soccer is played plenty when van Gaal is the one bringing up elevation and prattling on about the "proper" conditions for soccer. It's nonsense, really.

Jesus this is so much worse than Kenyon.

Harcourt how are athletes supposed to acclimatize to elevation when they have all their training and matches close to sea level? There's no Denver or Ecuador equivalent in the premier league, and even if there was, it wouldn't negate the fact that it remains a substantial home field advantage. Away teams go to mile high and rely on oxygen masks for a reason; they don't have the time or ability to train in the altitude long enough to get used to it.

Plus, Van Gaal is trying to see where his club's fitness is at and it's difficult to get a real sense, considering they're dealing with jet lag, hotter temperatures, and elevation.

Man U was playing a friendly against an Italian team, who, unless they are located somewhere high in the Italian Alps, didn't have any sort of home field advantage.

It only takes a couple of days to get used to the elevation. About the same amount of time to get used to the jet lag. So maybe if that is the problem, Van Gaal should have complained about not having enough time in Colorado rather than use his position as coach of the most popular team of soccer's highest level to shit on a perfectly good city that loves its sports. 

Anyway, I get that I am just a dumb American who knows nothing about soccer, But I appreciate your coming after the content of my posts rather than pretending I was speaking a different language.

Man U was playing a friendly against an Italian team, who, unless they are located somewhere high in the Italian Alps, didn't have any sort of home field advantage.

It only takes a couple of days to get used to the elevation. About the same amount of time to get used to the jet lag. So maybe if that is the problem, Van Gaal should have complained about not having enough time in Colorado rather than use his position as coach of the most popular team of soccer's highest level to shit on a perfectly good city that loves its sports.

Anyway, I get that I am just a dumb American who knows nothing about soccer, But I appreciate your coming after the content of my posts rather than pretending I was speaking a different language.

You can replace home field advantage with "competitive disadvantage for the visiting team" then. I knew they played Roma but I worded that poorly. They were never going to stay long in one place on a lucrative preseason tour though

I think you're just interpreting his comments a certain way. He's complaining because the game had too many variables that impacted their performance. I.e was Cleverley just not adjusting to the conditions or is he always this shit?

I don't think he had anything against Denver as a city, just he hates this preseason tour :lol: