harcourt™

Faith, spirituality, religion, etc

it took me a long time to unpack and get over being called "gay" as an insult when barely aware of what it even meant, and that was completely outside of any religious judgment angle, in fact when i got a little older i started noticing there were quite a few gay men and couples welcomed at my church that i just hadn't noticed

1 hour ago, ocean said:

i love the episcopal hymnal tho :')

tho tbf i think some of the best shit is in the service music section 

like i was genuinely sad when one of my favorite ones stopped being used at our church 

Yeah, I really like some of the service music, but I find many of the hymns to be hard to sing. And a few of them are just plain bad IMO - "Earth And All Stars" comes to mind in particular.

2 hours ago, dregs said:

this is such a depressing thread lmao

maybe there's somewhere earlier in the thread that I haven't looked for but tbh I'd love to hear a general sort of overview of your spirituality. which I understand is like really putting you on the spot. but after I graduated (catholic) high school I have never really had an adult conversation about this kind of shit with anyone, I kinda just shedded it as anything I was interested in exploring in any capacity.  and as I get older I'm more curious about this sort of thing, now that I'm past the whole jaded teenage perception of all of it. 

eeeezypeezy and pentachris like this

One of my best friends is a devout evangelical christian, we've had a lot of really great conversations about faith and whatnot over the years. I'm kind of a wishy-washy, philosophical buddhist, so I'd be discussing things from that perspective. 

pentachris likes this

3 hours ago, ant man bee said:

I was asked if we worshipped Mary all the time as a kid and when I was in kindergarten my friends mom told him not to hang out with me because I worshipped Mary :lol: 

Albertville has a pretty sizeable Latin American population (actually had a This American Life made about Albertville’s unique immigration situation) here and many are catholic so it’s not such a big deal anymore now that the two cultures have been integrating more than ever.

I've been aware of Albertville's demographics since I was a little boy, even though I don't think I've ever been face to face with a Latinx Albertvillian, because I have a racist dad 

11 minutes ago, I am a damn ass buddy said:

I've been aware of Albertville's demographics since I was a little boy, even though I don't think I've ever been face to face with a Latinx Albertvillian, because I have a racist dad 

Yeah I was here just as it started. That podcast addressed a rumor that I had heard many times when I was young, which was about there being a sign on the border saying you should come to Albertville for jobs :lol: People swore it was real. 

There were some awful ordinances set to pressure them to leave - one being that they could no longer have food trucks. It ruined a handful of businesses.

It's all died down since then and people have finally come to accept it. Regarding racism, I've found this place to be far more tolerable than other towns of this size in Northern Alabama. It's mostly just a bunch of old irrelevant fucks that still complain. I'm in southern Illinois right now and I always forget just how disgustingly racist an all white community is. I've heard the N word said multiple times by family members up here just in the last few hours I've been here. I haven't heard it said in Albertville in years. 

Sessions loves to use our town as the prime example of immigrants stealing jobs and raising the crime rate and it couldn't be any further from the truth. 

On 1/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, I am a damn ass bunny said:

have any of the board christians read or heard about this new testament translation? https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/the-new-testament-a-translation-david-bentley-hart/546551/ honestly sounds p interesting

I've read a couple of his books in school... Atheist Delusions had some pretty sick burns iirc

I'd be interested in reading a translation from him - that dude is a wordsmith for sure

30 minutes ago, Holly Jolly Arse Magic said:

Here's another wee religious nugget for you

View PostClarky Deflated, on 03 May 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Oh to give a serious answer, they filmed mass at the church next to my primary school for STV and I was forced to go. I'm still bitter about it. Bad enough I was a part of that shite for so long, but to force me on telly as well? Singing hymns!

In a jar, ya geniuses. In a fuckin jar.

A few years later this appeared on facebook:

3 minutes in to see me noticing the camera is on me and dying inside

hdV0iba.png

:lol:

My brother has gone on a weird one recently. He says he's a Christian now, but I can very well remember us absolutely ripping the shite out of organised religion together when we were younger. Anyway, I asked him about his Christianity and asked if actually believes that Jesus was the son of god, and he said no :| Seems fairly fundamental to believing in it? I'm fine if he wants to be spiritual and loves the teachings of Jesus and whatever but you can't just believe in whatever and make it up as you go along!

Also he fully believes that Jesus was gay and liked to get fucked in the ass. I don't necessarily disbelieve it. 

4 minutes ago, Heart Space said:

My brother has gone on a weird one recently. He says he's a Christian now, but I can very well remember us absolutely ripping the shite out of organised religion together when we were younger. Anyway, I asked him about his Christianity and asked if actually believes that Jesus was the son of god, and he said no :| Seems fairly fundamental to believing in it? I'm fine if he wants to be spiritual and loves the teachings of Jesus and whatever but you can't just believe in whatever and make it up as you go along!

Also he fully believes that Jesus was gay and liked to get fucked in the ass. I don't necessarily disbelieve it. 

Certainly there are apothatic forms of the Christian faith that do not presuppose the literal divinity of Christ, but none of them would condone pondering at any length the messiah's assplay preferences.

ocean likes this

I think I was like 19 when I found out my parents even believed in god, and I was a little shocked, and a little resentful that they never talked to me about spirituality at any point growing up.

I mean, overall I'm probably grateful, but a little miffed. 

I just don't think about a deity, ever, unless someone else brings it up. Even when I'm reminded of mortality and the scale of space and time, and freak out a little bit about how the permanent end to my consciousness is essentially already here... I don't think about a deity until I move on to, "well, how do other people handle it?" And I'm not even sure that's how they handle it, or whether that (handling it, or needing to handle it) even makes sense from their perspective.

pentachris and ant man bee like this

I definitely think that if we hadn't left church when I was 5, or whatever age that it was, that there is a really good chance I would be some version of "you can't pick and choose which parts of the Bible you like," and probably believe same-sex attraction is a sinful temptation, and probably lose a lot of sleep worrying about all the people who are going to hell.

That just seems like how the fundamentals of my personality would mesh with American Christianity.

Either that, or I'd be a classic neckbeard atheist. I kinda like that I'm on neither path, but it does feel kind of isolated.

7 minutes ago, I am a damn ass buddy said:

I think I was like 19 when I found out my parents even believed in god, and I was a little shocked, and a little resentful that they never talked to me about spirituality at any point growing up.

I mean, overall I'm probably grateful, but a little miffed. 

I just don't think about a deity, ever, unless someone else brings it up. Even when I'm reminded of mortality and the scale of space and time, and freak out a little bit about how the permanent end to my consciousness is essentially already here... I don't think about a deity until I move on to, "well, how do other people handle it?" And I'm not even sure that's how they handle it, or whether that (handling it, or needing to handle it) even makes sense from their perspective.

back when i actually considered myself a christian, it did help, but now... idk i guess i have found peace with not knowing what happens to someone when they die   

and certain experiences that reaffirmed my faith in god/christianity back when i had it, i now see in a different light and they just give me faith in the interconnectedness of everything and again just being ok with the fact that there's so much we still don't know that we'll never know for sure in my lifetime, and actually taking comfort in it 

10 minutes ago, dregs said:

i always forget that i had really strong attraction to one of my male friends during high school... like i had a crush on him for pretty much the entirety of grade 12.

thanks for bringing back this awkward and confusing memory fellas

I had the same thing but with a girl in high school 

It was confusing and dominated my thoughts and I always forget about it

So, thank YOU for bringing THAT memory back!

ant man bee and ocean like this