harcourt™

Faith, spirituality, religion, etc

The British in India will be slaughtered. Then we will overrun the Moslems and force their "Allah" to bow to Kali.  And then the Hebrew God will fall and finally the Christian God will be cast down and forgotten!

Religious violence is a myth. You can't define a transhistorical or transcultural essence of religion, so how can you separate "religious" violence, from "secular" violence? Not to say that religious motives cannot lead to violence, but there is no adequate definition of religion by which one can say that it iis somehow a unique cause of violence.

is this guy for real

There is an argument to be made that all religious violence is really just clan violence. Religion — and I use that term loosely — is a powerful cohesive cultural force, and insofar as it brings people together and fosters a greater community identity, I suppose that is just dandy in the dark ages or whatever. But people always dislike other groups because they compete for the same resources. And since religion is just some cultural marker, maybe it is irrelevant to the terrible things people do?

I don't really think this, I'm just repeating a point that sort of makes sense in case this is was Moss is saying. Don't know.

Mind, I think it is fine to be openly hostile toward certainly religious groups since they do three things in America that really piss me off:

1. Get in the way of teaching science to children

2. Deny reproductive freedom rights to women — and pretty much all individuals by extension

3. Deny marriage rights to same-sex couples.

There is no common sense reason to oppose any of these things. The only reason people don't want kids to know about dinosaurs is because they think their religious text is the LITERAL word of God. Ugh.

And I really see no point in maintaining civility when people are injecting their personal religious beliefs into the public, secular space. I really don't care what people believe and how they practice. I tend to believe some silly things, like I'm more focused and at one with nature when I sit still and don't think for an hour, but I wouldn't tell other people how to act.

Lastly: Religion ≠ Faith ≠ Spirituality, indeed. If I thoughts the terms were somehow interchangeable, I would have only used one. I do think the distinctions can get a little blurry, though, and this is a good place to hash that out.

Mogi67 likes this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/louie-gohmert-god-atheists_n_5575241.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

“Bob Murphey used to say, ‘You know, I feel so bad for atheists, I do,'” Gohmert recalled at "Celebrate America,” a three-week-long revival event. “‘Think about it, no matter how smart they think they are, an atheist has to admit that he believes the equation: nobody plus nothing equals everything.’”

:spongebob:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/louie-gohmert-god-atheists_n_5575241.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

“Bob Murphey used to say, ‘You know, I feel so bad for atheists, I do,'” Gohmert recalled at "Celebrate America,” a three-week-long revival event. “‘Think about it, no matter how smart they think they are, an atheist has to admit that he believes the equation: nobody plus nothing equals everything.’”

:spongebob:

:shred:

I'm a born and raised atheist and am not at all convinced that a hypothetical embrace of atheism in all corners would decrease conflict in the world.  Can anyone convince me?

It wouldn't.

I was being ironic, tbh. Militant atheists are just as fascistic and irrational as the evangelicals. Granted they're more liberal and they tend to be scientifically literate, which is awesome, good for them, but at the end of the day they're still just on a soapbox telling people they have all the answers.

I agree that a lof of these new big money atheists border becoming what they are 'preaching' against. I just don't care for anyone shoving an idea or belief system down my throat ... metaphorically or literally.