harcourt™

Faith, spirituality, religion, etc

kinda feel like raising kids in any sort of "religious" environment is awful, whether its belief in or against god

like faith/the lack thereof is such an important personal thing, i feel like thats a decision someone needs to make for themselves, and if you bring them up in a certain environment, youre making it for them, or at least trying to

im about as firm a nonbeliever as can be but id never try to steer a kid that way. if i had a kid that decided they believe, id be ok with it as long as its a decision they truly made. my parents were never super religious but i did grow up going to church often and sunday school and all that. i feel incredibly fortunate to have grown up like that and not become immediately ostracized when i fell out with the whole god thing, but i wouldnt want to put my children in that position in the first place

not quite sure how thatd work exactly but i feel like too many people grow up with a certain belif system (not just wrt religion obv) and stick with it cuz thats how they were raised and i think thats really sad

It can be intense to have a kid asking all kinds of questions about different belief systems. It's SO hard to answer those questions thoughtfully, unbiased, and age-appropriately. Of course she wants to know why the Jehovah's witness kid doesn't celebrate holidays or why that other person goes to church or what "under God" means in the pledge or what a Rabbi or a Buddhist or whatever is. I don't want to influence her too strongly one way or another, but at the same time I hope I'm laying the foundation for her to be informed in her belief choices. She knows I don't believe in God, but she doesn't really know what that means. She knows that for many people Christmas is a church-going occasion but that for us it is more a celebration of the solstice and of creating light in the darkness of winter and of family.

Parenting is really hard work sometimes.

We have friends that are really involved in their church and still have a Sarah Palin bumper sticker. They are lovely people and really fun and we just don't ever talk about politics or religion. I don't think they even understand how different we are from them.

Interesting though, you're probably talking more Americans right? Here, religious people are viewed with suspicion by most of the population and they tend to band together.

Well of course they band together, religion is a communal phenomenon. The effort to make it individual/private and absent from the public sphere is a relatively recent development.

Interesting though, you're probably talking more Americans right? Here, religious people are viewed with suspicion by most of the population and they tend to band together.

Well of course they band together, religion is a communal phenomenon. The effort to make it individual/private and absent from the public sphere is a relatively recent development.

ok plopsack

I've known a lot of really sweet religious people. Maybe it's just an American thing, but over here it seems like the decent, relatively rational folks who just happened to grow up Christian outnumber the fundamentalist nutjobs by a significant margin.