harcourt™

Faith, spirituality, religion, etc

I "supervised" a landscaping crew a few years ago. They were mostly just teenagers water lawns of vacant lots because the town we lived in makes no sense.

That summer a pair of Mormons were making their rounds and a few of the kids asked them to help rake up a yard and they said yes and that's how some Mormons raked a yard for some kids I supervised.

:shrug:

Mormons are great.

I always honk and wave when I see them riding their bikes around in thei suits.

They are always so helpful and eager and genuinely all "ah shucks!" about their faith and I find it really endearing.

But when you think of them as a voting block and as major donors behind California's ugly Proposition 8, it kinda takes the sheen off.

LOVE LDS. So adorable.

I will say, though, that after spending time with Orthodox Jews my mind is absolutely boggled by the extreme effort and work they put into in taking the Sabbath seriously. I mean, it is supposed to be an off day, a day of rest, but often the contrivances to get around the work are even more extreme and definitely not taking it easy, which, I'm pretty sure, is what God intended.

:lol: yes

Coming up next, which work better - springy clothespins or the other kind?

Springy! What kind of an idiot prefers the other kind, except for making things like this:

animals_large.jpgin an on-topic twist, I definitely made religious clothespin dolls out of those in vacation bible school

Edit: This is where I get all of my information from, a graph. Please correct if needed!

9sHq6Ni.png

describing my "journey" using this map I would say I started out as an agnostic theist, then I had some experiences that moved me to gnostic theist as I believed they proved god existed, but then I moved back towards agnostic theism as I began to think that such experiences indicated only that there are other forces at work in this world than have been proven to exist, but that there was nothing about them that specifically indicated the existence of a "god", and finally right now I would consider myself almost purely agnostic with no interest in the question of whether there is or isn't a god. Probably more agnostic atheist though. There's probably no god but I don't think it can be proven. Definitely no belief in Christianity per se anymore.

Been thinking of getting reborn as a Catholic. I've already been baptized and shit as a regular Christian, is there other stuff I need to do to be down with the Pope? Feel like it would be a good way to cleanse my soul and might give me some purpose in life.

It's surprisingly complicated.  The official means of welcoming people into the Catholic church is through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA), which ideally every parish should practice each year (starting around this time of the year).  I would find out about the RCIA practice of your chosen parish.  The practices are indeed generally different for people who have been raised with a Christian faith, but may differ slightly from place to place.

Been thinking of getting reborn as a Catholic. I've already been baptized and shit as a regular Christian, is there other stuff I need to do to be down with the Pope? Feel like it would be a good way to cleanse my soul and might give me some purpose in life.

somehow your worst post yet

One of my classmates in university mathematics struck me as particularly unbalanced.  He had this ring of women that he appeared to have an on-off thing with on drunken nights, which he'd boast about while in their presence.  Some of his behaviour with one woman in particular seemed to border on harassment.  I went on one night out with him and made a mental note not to do so again.

But when I went on a trip with my class to Switzerland, I ended up sharing a room with him and his friend.  A frequent visitor to our room was this strong-willed woman who frequently spoke back to him and discussed her then-boyfriend's knowledge, friendliness, and sexual prowess.  On the last day she left a little early, and he complained about how much of a "bitch" she was and how he was at the end of his rope with her.  I didn't realise it at first but he had a great deal of pent-up insecurity and anger over the course of the trip, as if her friendly banter was humiliating for him.

Anyway, he began training to join the priesthood the following year, pretty much as soon as we graduated.  A supporter/member of Youth Defence and everything.

somehow your worst post yet

If by worst you mean best????

I just feel like I need the missing piece of the puzzle, something to get me focused and dedicated, feel like I'm drifting a bit at the minute. I presume I was baptized Anglican, surely that is enough and I don't need to do months of classes? I presumed it was as simple as signing up to my local church and maybe a small ceremony.

Catholicism appeals to me because of the history and all the cool ceremonial stuff, plus I want to do confession.

I would talk to a local priest.  Perhaps some of the smaller details about how much one needs to do if they were raised in another Christian faith may be managed locally.  But I expect you would have to take some classes and convert around Easter.

I got into a drunken argument with a nihilist at the bar last week.

Hmmm ... do tell. Anyone who self proclaims as a nihilist is always a trip at the very least. Nihilist hypocrisy makes me chuckle slightly more for some reason.

Yeah, a lot of it was me pointing out that all of his arguments about the fundamental meaninglessness of existence ended up turning into an existentialist argument that we all create our own meanings. I like existentialism, I feel like every honest accounting of the human condition ends up there eventually.

harcourt™ likes this

As do I. But I can't help giggle when someone is trying to firmly tell me they believe in nothing which in itself is believing in a concept of nothingness.

Devil's advocate: let's say I regard belief to be an incoherent concept, then I wouldn't say it makes sense to say I believe in anything.  In the process I define "regard" and assertibility in terms of dispositions of actions (say) rather than in terms of belief.