shakes

what did you just buy?

been spending a ton of money on bandcamp albums lately so id gotten behind on new releases by bands i already liked so i made a p big amazon order last night!!!!!!!!!!

amazon had the single disc zeppelin remasters for $9 each so i snatched those up. figured i didnt need to pay $6 more for each album to have whole lotta love (alternate vocal) or dazed and confused (live) or other shit like that id play once and forget about. i borrowed my dads zeppelin discography box set years ago and ripped them to itunes so ive never actually had hard copies of those albums. the remasters seem to be well received so im p stoked to binge on those albums for a bit. 

then the new fucked up, bob mould, roots and king buzzo albums. havent heard any yet but i trust them all to be decent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i borrowed my dads zeppelin discography box set years ago

Nice, I have the same one.

Recently bought In Through the Out Door on vinyl at a thrift shop for cheap. It has the brown paper bag around it, which I thought was cool.

i bought teenage fanclub's grand prix on vinyl finally

i've had an alert for it on discogs for ages but it popped up yesterday for an expensive but not exorbitant price

the gerard love songs on that album are probably the best tfc songs ever  :wub:

sam likes this

Nice, I have the same one.

Recently bought In Through the Out Door on vinyl at a thrift shop for cheap. It has the brown paper bag around it, which I thought was cool.

nice. i found that on cd for a buck a few weeks ago. no bag obviously

always had a soft spot for all my love tbh. kinda assume most zeppelin fans hate it though

been spending a ton of money on bandcamp albums lately

are you at least grabbing those in FLAC?  because that's the only reason i will ever pay for a download (if it is available in FLAC) and bandcamp is fantastic for that.

the only problem with buying physical stuff on bandcamp is it can be really erratic with sending/notifying etc since it's often just random small operations

maybe less of deal if yr in the us rather than half a world away

ive noticed that too, but im willing to give p much any band/label on bandcamp the benefit of the doubt since theyre almost certainly not full time gigs

plus if i get impatient theres always the immediate download

i assume bandcamp gets a cut but i think its small

i guess paypal takes a cut too though

i generally always see if the band or label has the album for sale on their own site cuz i know thatd give them more money but they usually dont

bandcamp sells physical stuff too br0

also dont have the ears or speakers to care tbh

oh i know.  the best is when you can order the CD and of course you still get the immediate download.

and honestly, if you have ears you should be able to tell the difference.  the difference between FLAC and mp3 isn't some audiophile horseshit.

bandcamp's cut isn't too big. For instance:

The National Park Service, I Was Flying, digital album, $5.00

Total: $5.00 USD   Rev share: $0.75 USD (15%) — added to your revenue share balance. more info   This $5.00 payment went to you in full. $0.75 (15%) has been added to your revenue share balance, which is now $3.06. more info

ya'll can do the math if you'd like.

Just ordered a bunch of Brazilian albums from Japan to coincide with the start of the World Cup, from cdjapan - they are all 1000yen, which is about £5.50 - there are some quite rare titles on the list, and it looks like they are planning to release more in the future. I'm almost tempted to buy a  bunch of titles I've already got to sell them at inflated prices once they go out of print again. Here's a link to a couple of lists of the albums being released:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://diskunion.net/latin/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddisk%2Bunion%2Bbrasil%2B1000%2Bseries%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DuZP%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Dsb

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://diskunion.net/latin/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddisk%2Bunion%2Bbrasil%2B1000%2Bseries%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DuZP%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Dsb

It's translated, so doesn't make a great deal of sense, but it gives the titles being released.

yeah also i have the idea more money gets to the artist on bandcamp which may be entirely false

yeah generally I think it's 10% on physical sales and 15% on digital, but they don't always take their cut right away. your account holds a "revenue share" balance or whatever and every now and then they'll just take the amount from a digital sale in full to cover some of your revenue share. in general though yeah buying through bandcamp is one of the better ways to support an artist short of handing them cash in person. it's pretty much the only thing I use to distribute my music and I'm more than satisfied with it.

speaking of bandcamp - anyone who buys anything ever on there should make a fan account, I can't recommend it highly enough. if nothing else, it'll show your username on the page for the album you bought, which is great for bands to be able to show that people actually listen to/care about their music. also when you buy stuff elsewhere that comes with a bandcamp download code if you enter it while you're logged in it lets you add it to your collection. on top of that there are a ton of awesome people who have fan pages and having one too lets you follow them and you get a weekly email showing you what the people you follow have bought, which is a great way to stay on top of new shit on there. it also lets you follow bands and then you get notifications when they release new stuff. here's mine.

not too sure, I have only ever bought things through paypal... though that bandcamp money goes into my paypal? Maybe I should check :lol:

Off-topic: Are you hoping to one day do a charity show for the US NPS, ala Ben Gibbard's Postal Service?

stopped by one of my favorite stores in NYC that's closing soon yesterday :( picked up some pretty cheap vinyl on clearance, all new:

Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering

Mike Weis - Don't Know, Just Walk

Maximillion Dunbar - House of Woo (still haven't heard this one but it was only ten bucks!)

William Tyler - Behold the Spirit (not sure if I should ditch my CD copy now or what)

Hubble - Hubble Eagle

on holiday in norfolk couple of weeks ago was delighted to find a combined post office and 2nd hand record shop (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holt-Vinyl-Vault/494214790647999) in the small country town where we were staying. Amazing selection, tempted by a lot (Grand Funk Live, best of Timi Yuro, Orange Juice last album, Before Hollywood for 3 quid!) even though I don't have a turntable. But left with For Your Pleasure so I can frame the inner sleeve:

Roxy_Music_For_Your_Pleasure_Gatefold.jp

sam and Roger Sterling like this

fluxion - broadwalk tales 

really loving this, expansive dub techno with reggae vocalist Teddy Selaise on several tracks doing some cool shit. sounds great.

angel olsen - burn your fire for no witness

listened to this earlier in the year and liked it well enough, wouldn't have purchased it for myself but a friend got it for me as a gift so that was nice. definitely a good record though a bit nondescript in places.

i'm a dingus for buying music too  :lol: 

got these albums from this band led zeppelin: I,II,III. nee whoop, paid waaay too much at around 15 a pop, but I'm a sucker for these things.

III is my latest obsession. Forgot how legitimate some of these tunes were (namely, Celebration Day + Gallows Pole + Bron-Y-Aur Stomp )

in all seriousness though, these remasters are friggin' awesome and every rock lover needs to get their hands on them. 

Kemper Boyd likes this