shakes

what did you just buy?

meh

half the fun of music collecting is randomyl finding shit you had no idea about or werent looking for or w/e

cant get that feeling from a download imO!

you also wouldnt download  acar!

You totally do get that feeling from a download!  I love hearing about something somewhat obscure and then going on a hunt for a download, legal or illegal.  When you actually manage to find one it's such a good feeling.  Then you get to unpack it from the zip or rar or whatever, check to make sure the tags look good, load it into your collection and upload it to the cloud backup or whatever.

At least that's how I do it.  It's sort of a ritual...tracking something down that sounds interesting, filing it properly in my collection, and then kicking back to give it a listen.

Peach likes this

Hmmmm. I don't have a problem with downloading but the idea of 'tracking it down' only really applies to the illegal variety surely? And even then it's rarely more than a google search away unless it is something that hasn't been released or reissued in the digital era.

Well, I don't use iTunes or Amazon, so "tracking it down" includes legal downloads as well...whether or not the artist has a bandcamp, or it's on their label's site, or maybe 7digital's US store has it. And for most stuff you're right, it's not much of a hunt, but sometimes it really is.

You know how long it took me to find a high-quality download of Pterodactyl's Arnold's Park EP?  Which I already have on vinyl but I wanted a good digital copy I could put on Google Music for listening at work and in the car.  Anyway, it took a long damn time! I eventually found a torrent, and it only had one guy seeding it at like 5kbps for about five minutes a day :spongebob:

it actually is a thrill for me too.  if it can get the itunes booklet or hires artwork from ecover or not so hi-res from discogs.com, tagging it, playing it, backing it up to my cloud service all in glorious lossless.

oh man.

I can't deny I like organising my iTunes but i try and keep it in perspective. The hunt for new sounds is still where it's at for me. When I discover a new (to me) sound/style and there is lots to explore is when I get pumped. Last two times this happened has been with old Angolan ballad stuff and a Cuban doo-wop group called Los Zafiros.

The format is kinda secondary although my preference will always be vinyl. If I can only get a download I couldn't careless whether it is more than 320. In fact I recently bought Benji on cd very reluctantly as I'd always rather have a physical thing for home listening. Digital is purely convenience (and my living)... I get no satisfaction out of it.

meh

half the fun of music collecting is randomyl finding shit you had no idea about or werent looking for or w/e

You totally do get that feeling from a download!  I love hearing about something somewhat obscure and then going on a hunt for a download, legal or illegal.  When you actually manage to find one it's such a good feeling.  Then you get to unpack it from the zip or rar or whatever, check to make sure the tags look good, load it into your collection and upload it to the cloud backup or whatever.

yeah see this for me really became just a fucking hassle more than anything else. then again I've had private tracker access for like 10 years so I was only ever doing this for weird recently leaked shit or something, and perhaps torrents just made everything too easy idk.

very happy to be collecting records though after I stopped purchasing CDs for several years.

it actually is a thrill for me too.  if it can get the itunes booklet or hires artwork from ecover or not so hi-res from discogs.com, tagging it, playing it, backing it up to my cloud service all in glorious lossless.

oh man.

:wacko:  :blink:

meh

At least that's how I do it.  It's sort of a ritual...tracking something down that sounds interesting, filing it properly in my collection, and then kicking back to give it a listen.

yeah, totally disagree here, sorry. the music itself is only part of the process for me. i get as much joy out of flipping through a stack or scanning a shelf having no clue whats next as i do hearing the music itself. digital downloads couldnt possibly replicate that feeling for me. its not just looking for one specific album, its the entrie vastness of what i could discover when a bunch of cds or lps are in front of me

I can't deny I like organising my iTunes but i try and keep it in perspective. The hunt for new sounds is still where it's at for me. When I discover a new (to me) sound/style and there is lots to explore is when I get pumped. Last two times this happened has been with old Angolan ballad stuff and a Cuban doo-wop group called Los Zafiros.

The format is kinda secondary although my preference will always be vinyl. If I can only get a download I couldn't careless whether it is more than 320. In fact I recently bought Benji on cd very reluctantly as I'd always rather have a physical thing for home listening. Digital is purely convenience (and my living)... I get no satisfaction out of it.

this. bums me out how much of my listening is digital these days, honestly. i get to listen to music all day at work, which is rad, but my actual stereo time is way too short

got back to the states yesterday and had some tapes waiting for me on my desk that I ordered before I left and promptly forgot about:

MCFERRDOG - Club Amnioticshttp://1080pcollection.bandcamp.com/album/club-amniotics

Tinnitustimulus - Unfamiliar Dusthttps://rainbowbridge.bandcamp.com/album/unfamiliar-dust-c32

Olli Aarni - Yötaivas - http://crummykids.bandcamp.com/album/y-taivas

bought these while I was away: 927110_318326561667511_2003793944_n.jpg

got the new batch from Tranquility Tapes on the way too

Last two times this happened has been with old Angolan ballad stuff and a Cuban doo-wop group called Los Zafiros.

what should i be listening to here?

Well the Angolan ballad stuff I just have a few 7"s and couple of LPs haha. For a more general taste of Angolan music check out the two Analog Africa releases, Angola Soundtrack 1 & 2. The record I'm really digging is by a guy called Carlos Lamartine:

116204454.png

Los Zafiros have a pretty definitive comp on World Circuit which is has been out yonks but is being reissued on vinyl at some point later this year / early next year

mortimer likes this

and doesnt belong in the company of the other ones listed anyway  :ph34r:

the fuck is this bullshit about

Lou Reed - Transformer

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

The Ramones - Ramones

Gram Parsons - Greivious Angel

Talking Heads - More Songs About Food and Water

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

vinyl

feeling very influenced by this board atm

dude, nice

its about one album in that group being significantly less good than the others ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right, that album is jailbreak :o

Nah man, it totally is, shakes. Sorry.

recent - 

Interpol - TOTBL LP, because i never actually owned this, gave it a listen recently and remembered what i loved about it, and the 180gm vinyl was pretty cheap.

Chic/C'est Chic double CD

Christian Fitness -  I Am Scared Of Everything That Isn't Me CD (Andy Falkous solo project)

Jungle LP

Fugazi - The Argument LP

Herbie Hancock - Crossings LP

Clouds - Fabourites CD (Aussie 90's indie-rock)

Peach likes this

tbh I don't really know the Talking Heads album, it seemed like a good place to go after '77 & Remain in Light

shakes' negativity towards a list containing Jailbreak is bringing me down

it's bring me down, man!

This saturday will mark my 4th week without buying any records. This is some kind of record! Gonna try and blag some freebies to tide me over the next 4 weeks after this!