shakes

what did you just buy?

was also chatting with the guy who runs the store for a while about finding weird rare shit since I've traded in records there before and he was saying he actually found some stuff he really liked and ended up keeping for himself from the last batch I brought in. the place specializes in metal/punk/noise but they carry a lot of good further out stuff too. he was telling me about this musician named roberta eklund that I had never heard of, he found a tape of hers in a huge box of extra stock a while back and didn't remember where he got it from but it was clearly pretty old and in a handmade case and when he looked it up on discogs it turned out it was super rare and highly sought after so he made a few copies for friends and ended up getting like $200 for it, but the whole thing is online and he played some of it for me on the store speakers and it sounded fuckin' awesome. bizarre warped homemade synth stuff from the late '80s

3381688.jpg

http://www.haltapes.com/the-process-of-recognition.html

@sugarface @c.i. @christmas and whoever else digs weird old synthwave stuff

c.i., ant man bee, sugarface and 1 other like this

On 10/22/2017 at 7:02 PM, >:{ said:

this norwegian flute record from the first batch, however, :chefskiss: 

which one is the norwegian flute one 

no homo but i might want to peep something like that

ugh damn I just opened the king of limbs and it has a huge scratch across half of side 2 :\

what do y'all do when this happens, I hate the idea of bringing an opened record back to the store because they're probably going to end up taking the loss on that but I'm not sure what else there is to do other than just deal with having a scratched record and feeling bad about it. it is pretty obviously some kind of manufacturing error, it's ruler straight right across the groove and really deep

@sam what's your record store employee take on this

11 hours ago, >:{ said:

ugh damn I just opened the king of limbs and it has a huge scratch across half of side 2 :\

what do y'all do when this happens, I hate the idea of bringing an opened record back to the store because they're probably going to end up taking the loss on that but I'm not sure what else there is to do other than just deal with having a scratched record and feeling bad about it. it is pretty obviously some kind of manufacturing error, it's ruler straight right across the groove and really deep

@sam what's your record store employee take on this

Take it back. Every place I ever worked would swap it for you without batting an eye. Faulty stock gets returned to the distributor and credited so the shop shouldn’t be out of pocket.

11 hours ago, Creep said:

the worst of her though

that chair looks mighty cute and cozy though

Don Juan is not her best I’ll grant you (still got a couple of great tracks) but Hejira is right up there at the pinnacle!

51CozJXH8TL._SS500.jpg

I listened to some samples and thought they were amazing, so I picked this up. Of course, it was only available on CD and the CD won't be arriving until after the first of the year, so it won't make my year end list. But, judging by the samples, it very well might have. Cool shit.

He had a great Tiny Desk Concert, too.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:50 PM, sorry i will change it back now said:

good to know, I still feel bad but hopefully the guy will be chill about it if I bring it in tomorrow

On 12/17/2017 at 4:20 AM, sam said:

Take it back. Every place I ever worked would swap it for you without batting an eye. Faulty stock gets returned to the distributor and credited so the shop shouldn’t be out of pocket.

is this just for CDs or records too? i feel like i've heard that CDs can usually be returned by the store to the distributor with no problem but things are harder with vinyl records... maybe manufacturer defects are a different story though?

On 12/17/2017 at 5:20 AM, sam said:

in the book biz stores get to keep faulty stock AND get credited or sent replacements, so I get a shit tonne of free books. it's pretty sweet!

121116_bootleg2.jpg

Big_Fun.jpg

i'm really taking advantage of being able to buy records. these will come sometime in January so I should have a month or so of steady arrivals that should sustain me through times of not really being able to afford records.

sam likes this

5 hours ago, ocean said:

is this just for CDs or records too? i feel like i've heard that CDs can usually be returned by the store to the distributor with no problem but things are harder with vinyl records... maybe manufacturer defects are a different story though?

Faulty stock is faulty stock. All defective stock can be returned regardless of the format. A decent record store clerk should have a good idea of whether a customer returning a record as faulty is bullshitting or not - there are normally plenty of telltale signs.

In the other instance of returns to manufacturers - overstocks -  It is easier to return CDs than vinyl. Most shops in the UK will have some kind of returns allowance however plenty  of distributors won't except returned LPs (unless they're faulty).

ocean likes this

fwiw I brought the record back on sunday and the guy who runs the place was totally cool about it, took down my number and said he'd give me a buzz when the replacement copy came in. he was saying radiohead's distributor is better about returns and defects than most major distributors, so I lucked out I guess

how many days should i wait to message a discogs seller who hasnt sent an invoice or anything since i placed an order? itll be 3 days this afternoon

the dude only had two items for sale, so clearly not a full time shop account or anything. also its still sorta the holidays so i dont want to be a dick, im just curious whats going on. never waited this long to hear from a seller before

ocean likes this

still haven't heard back from the record store about my replacement copy of king of limbs :think: leaving work early today though so I might stop in on my way home to see what's up and also to grab some blank cassettes since they posted a photo of a bunch of type IIs that they were putting out for sale on instagram yesterday

1 minute ago, sam said:

Sound Dust is ace. An underrated one of theirs I think.

I wish that I had you @-justin or @Kemper Boyd with me today. Our first stop was at Dusty Groove and really could've used a little advice on some of the African albums they had there that looked pretty good, but that I knew nothing about. Still, that's where I wound up with the Tom Zé (not yet generally available in the States), so I can't complain too much. It's a pretty great little record. Very playful and quirky and a lot of fun. In other words, everything that I love him for.

-justin likes this

Ah, I really want to go to that store! Closest I've got is following them on Instagram. Maybe Chicago is a trip for next year.

Talking of Tom Ze, I picked up the Brasilian LP reissue of Todos Os Olhos amongst everything else today. Bloody expensive but still roughly a 10th of the price of an OG copy.

PopTodd likes this

6 minutes ago, sam said:

Ah, I really want to go to that store! Closest I've got is following them on Instagram. Maybe Chicago is a trip for next year.

Talking of Tom Ze, I picked up the Brasilian LP reissue of Todos Os Olhos amongst everything else today. Bloody expensive but still roughly a 10th of the price of an OG copy.

If you come to town, you'd damn well better let me know. We'll hit DG together! And I'll take you to a place to get some great cheap eats!

sam likes this

birthday money :flail:

First three CDs, second four LPs

R-9907407-1488319703-9211.jpeg.jpg

R-10052631-1490793398-1140.jpeg.jpg

ce75c362dec3ec0bd1ba53749617f8c0.jpg

mono LP, fuck yeah!

61nuMAJZXwL._SY355_.jpg

81Wf+ukBmjL._SY355_.jpg

Lee_Morgan_1963_The_Sidewinder_a.jpeg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

R-84825-1234965728.jpeg.jpg

Kevin Shields' new analog master for the vinyl reissue. Sure, I have the original CD, the analog/digital remaster CDs and the Plain LP (bought because I didn't know better) but it's my favorite album so I should have the ideal version, right? The shipping costs are fucking insane though.  I'd not have bought this (or most of these other things, or the bottle of Talisker) were it not for my wife, who encourages me to be nice to myself. I have a problem with extravagance when it comes to me - I feel guilty when I buy myself nice things, always have, and they're never even that nice! - but she's trying to change that. She's great. What kind of wife makes her husband buy records! Come on! I'm a lucky, lucky man.

PopTodd and sam like this