c.i.

Lord, Kill the Pain: The Mark Kozelek Chronicles

Listening to Perils right now.

I think I realize why it took me so long to come around to this album. The first track in particular just doesn't grab me at all. I feel like things start to get really good around Gustavo and then it starts to pick up steam after that.

I think I realize why it took me so long to come around to this album. The first track in particular just doesn't grab me at all. I feel like things start to get really good around Gustavo and then it starts to pick up steam after that.

this is true. had I not been determined to get deep into this record due to fanboy obligations I probably would have had a similar experience. I like the first couple of tracks a lot now but they're not very representative of what comes later. 

still struggling to love perils, but i was noticing a lot more in the second half that i liked when revisiting.

i can't remember and you can't make me remember 

still don't feel the title track at all. he always felt like dancing is a bit too one note to be 8 minutes, even though i think there's a real good song in there. might be the drums. same with baby in death... and yeah the first two tracks are like when is gustavo gonna start.

also i listened to among the leaves today and was like d*mn this sounds so much more polished than the 2013-14 koz releases.

I've started to come around a bit on Among the Leaves as well. There's just a lot of tracks that I don't care about on it.

Track 8 and Among the Leaves are very polished

Will be in the same room as the sad bastard this time tomorrow

If you want to join me for a beer I'll probably be finger fucking my phone at the bar around 8:30 at the latest.Doubt your online rn but I'm standing near the stage wearing a rain jacket :w

E: now holding the rain jacket

:fun:

you guys - palo saw him recently, you guys are seeing him tonight, darren and i saw him last year - seeing him on friday

#areyouthinkingwhatimthinking :walkman:

No, but he did at one point count a few girls and said (1..2..3..I think?) but it's ok cause he said jk a lot

Honestly, he was in a shockingly good mood and didn't pick on anyone too much. A few choice comments here and there though. I wrote some down, will share at a later date.

From memory, the setlist was:

I Know It's Pathetic But That Was the Greatest Night of My Life

Black Kite

Carissa

I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love

Truck Driver

Dogs

I Watched the Film the Song Remains the Same

Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes

Micheline

Hey You Bastards I'm Still Here

Gustavo

Caroline

By the Time That I Awoke

Ceiling Gazing

You Missed My Heart

Katowice or Cologne

Elaine

First time seeing Koz live, and as Roger said he was in a good mood tonight. There was a minor altercation between two crowd members during Caroline that almost resulted in a fight. Koz didn't notice any of this happening but now I'm wishing he had because his reaction to the incident would have been great.

Setlist looks correct. He definitely played the best stuff from perils aside from the wonder of life... But I don't think that song and I watched the film can be played in the same show just because that sacrifices so much time.

Did feel like he sped up the cadence on the longer songs, not sure if that shortened their lengths. He also just didn't give a fuck at all, felt like he wasn't warmed up til like midway through Carissa and remembering all those lyrics seemed to wear on him cause he fucked some up.

And yet still he was very captivating. Guitar was on point throughout. The crowd shut up as soon as songs started and wanted to hear every note, which he really appreciated. But when he added a song to the encore and it was Katowice or Cologne I was a little :(

HOLY SHIT MARK KOZELEK IS PLAYING IN NEWTOWN CT AND I'M GOING TO BE OUT OF STATE :((((((((((

really? When? I'll go to this tbh thats like 20 mins from me

e: oh sh*t just before I move away. :o it's almost like it's meant to be...............

I like it on record fine but after 20 songs that sound close to it I could've used some Alesund or Among The Leaves to change the pace

Some strumming ffs

Also mk & desertshore really drags in the second half, is probably his weakest release post rhp.

I like it on record fine but after 20 songs that sound close to it I could've used some Alesund or Among The Leaves to change the pace

surprised at the lack of afp on the setlist

tbh the set eliminator posted seems sort of lame to me, and i know he's been doing sets like that for a while now, but it wouldn't exactly have me excited to see him if he came to this area

although i'd probably go see it in hopes of witnessing koz being an asshole

Some strumming ffs

Also mk & desertshore really drags in the second half, is probably his weakest release post rhp.

But Tavoris Cloud, Brothers and Sometimes I Can't Stop are the best songs on that album while the first half has duds like Hey you Bastards and that song where he is fingerfucking the phone.

Nothing on MK & Desertshore touches Carissa or I Watched the Film but nothing is as bad as Pray for Newtown or I Love my Dad either.

Agreed wrt the Black Kite sentiment - it's a fine song but would much prefer to see it exchanged on set lists with Young Love, Moderately Talented, Among the Leaves, etc. From looking at some of his recent sets he hasn't been playing I Know it's Pathetic at all, which is surprising because I thought the rendition last night was p good all things considered!

I Watched the Film was sped up a good bit with percussion et al, didn't think it would work too well at the beginning of the song and while the entire song felt rushed it was a decently polished rendition.

The Lavalle songs worked better with a full band than you'd think - Ceiling Gazing lost some of it's lushness and beauty in this setting but may have been the highlight of the show for me. You Missed My Heart was another standout.

Dunno if he's koz's regular drummer or not but the dude behind the kit last night had an extreme frat bro vibe about him. He was good though - his backing vocals complimented koz well

Also rog - dunno if you noticed this or not but koz seemed to be off tempo a bunch of times during micheline. His playing would frequently speed up during the verse. Idk.

Also felt like I didn't hear a single note the guy on the Roland played the entire night

Omg I have so much to say about that band :lol:

Unfortunately I can't write a lot at work

I included tavoris cloud as a first half track theremin. Idk that record is pretty slight still. W.e.

Black Kite is meh. Glancing at the vinyl tracklist last night, it starts off side 4 and is followed by the bonus tracks. I would literally never listen to that side. I would just put on AFP if I wanted something like black kite. I actually legit thought he was going into Alesund when he started that one :/

The problem with 'Perils From the Sea' is the worst three tracks are in the first four tracks ('What Happened to My Brother', '1936' and 'Baby in Death...

the latter of which just goes on and on and on and never really gets anywhere).  If you make an album and knock those three tracks off so it goes

01. Gustavo

02. Ceiling Gazing

03. You Missed My Heart

04. Caroline

05. He Always Felt Like Dancing

06. By the Time That I Awoke

07. Here Come More Perils From the Sea

08. Somehow the Wonders of Life Prevail

You end up with a much stronger album.

BTW, I'm totally shocked at the 'Benji' hate on here.  I think it's probably the best Sun Kil Moon album, actually. 

And people dislike 'I Love My Dad'?!  That's one of the best songs on the album.  The part about coming home crying because he was sat next to an albino and his dad taught him a lesson by playing him an Edgar Winter album?!  So awesome!

I don't think anyone outright hates it, but it's deeply flawed.

I think what it boils down to personally is that past the first few weeks I haven't felt the need to revisit it whatsoever which is very troubling.