Sign in to follow this  
lukin?

What Are You Playing?

The last few chapters of The Evil Within 2 were so bad :lol: It just starts repeating the same areas with bullet sponge enemies. And the story goes absolutely bonkers, though I almost enjoyed how bad it got. It's like the campiest moments from RE4 without any of the effort to tell a coherent story. The final boss is in such poor taste I'm almost surprised it even exists. It's probably still worth playing if you like horror games, since it's legitimately good for the first two thirds or so, and even when it turns into bullshit towards the end, it's entertaining bullshit.

wahdiohead and ant man bee like this

2 hours ago, mnemosyne said:

The last few chapters of The Evil Within 2 were so bad :lol: It just starts repeating the same areas with bullet sponge enemies. And the story goes absolutely bonkers, though I almost enjoyed how bad it got. It's like the campiest moments from RE4 without any of the effort to tell a coherent story. The final boss is in such poor taste I'm almost surprised it even exists. It's probably still worth playing if you like horror games, since it's legitimately good for the first two thirds or so, and even when it turns into bullshit towards the end, it's entertaining bullshit.

This was my thoughts as well, it was such a switch up from what i'd been playing that I welcomed it's more bullshit campiness. I wish it took a page from Doom's nudging self awareness and made it more like a B movie with high level effects but everyone in the game takes everything so damn seriously.

if i had a dollar for every time Sebastian reacts to the most batshit imagery with "what the hell"

ant man bee likes this

12 hours ago, Kindergarten Plop said:

Just wanted a wee ranty.

Hide contents

This chap at work (he's in his 50s) talks to me about games a lot. He always knows when games are coming out and how they were rated and all sorts of crap about VR and television technology and all that, and he's been building computers since the 80s so obviously he's an absolute NERD. His wife nearly left him a few years ago when she gave him an ultimatum and said he had to choose between her and World of Warcraft (he reluctantly chose her). HOWEVER, as much as he goes on about loving games, he's only ever seemed to actually play Diablo 3 and Elder Scrolls Online in the last several years I've known him. That's fine, but the strange thing is he's literally always buying games ('buying' as in clicking purchase on Steam or PSN, but not actually downloading them or ever playing them :|). Hundreds of £s a month!

He bought Persona 5 for full price on the PSN as soon as it was released (£65 I think?) and keeps asking me how it's going, but hasn't actually started it himself because he says he doesn't want to start a long game when there are so many games coming out this year that he's looking forward to, such as The Last of Us 2. I said I didn't know you even liked the first one and he said, 'I haven't played it yet... but I've got it!' He also bought Yakuza 0 on my recommendation last year and never even started it. I've asked him about it a few times and he says he's waiting for Yakuza 6 to be released in a few months so he can play that first :| What better place to start to than the prequel! He won't play it anyway. He was trying to talk to me about Red Dead Redemption once, but all he knew about it was the part up until you first ride a horse, which if I remember correctly was about five minutes in. He bought not only Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 and that new spin-off one, but also the separate collection of games 1-3. Same for the Mass Effects.

He says he 'enjoys collecting them', but is that really collecting when you're basically just purchasing unused download codes? What is there to enjoy about doing that? Whenever I try to get an answer he laughs it off. I say, 'Why not just buy a game when you want to play it? Because it'll obviously be far cheaper then, several years after it's been released,' and he says, 'Well I don't know when I might want to play them' :| I don't get it! Talking to him makes me fucking FURIOUS!

:lol:

I have a friend that does exactly this. He owns more games than I do and never plays them, but talks about them ALL the time. He even seems to have his own opinions on shit he’s never played. He always says “I’m about to get around to it.” I’m not even pressuring him to play games because I don’t give a damn what he does with his time, but he brings games up constantly and you can’t participate in the very conversation that HE started.

all he ever does is play Fallout 4 whenever he actually does play a game. 

When he does play play a game he’s really bad at it and texts me when he wants to vent on how poorly designed whatever he chooses to play for an hour before he puts it down forever is.

He’s been stuck on a boss in BotW for days now. He has shitty armor and is under leveled so I told him to explore more and power up. Of course he says, “but that’s what I’m doing” when he’s exhausted every avenue in the conversation I just say “Millions of people have finished this game. Figure it out.”

He eventually got this armor that’s resistant to electricity and he complained that it’s overlevelled because now electricity doesn’t hurt him anymore. I really have to bite my tongue with him.

Kindergarten Plop likes this

Thought I'd restart Andromeda as it's been a good 9 months since I played it. Eh, I don't really understand all the hate towards it. It's really not bad at all. I guess though when you add to such a iconic series and the game is only 'good' the backlash is always going to be a bit over the top. 

I also think it suffers for coming out shortly after 3 'big open world RPG' critical darlings. 

it's just super bland, feels like it was outdated the moment it came out.

I got about 10 hours into it and couldn't be bothered to finish it. I didn't care about anyone nor did it feel as good to play as 2 or 3. Multiplayer was trash too

sold it a few months back

scribby likes this

I liked the first two episodes of Life is Strange: Before the Storm, but the last one was kind of anticlimactic :( You don't actually get to do very much, and the last few plot points are rushed and melodramatic. And the final choice is... not as hard as it seems. I felt like the game was manipulating me into making the choice that would have made for a better ending without making it consistent with the characters. It has better writing than the originals, and there are some good characters, but it kind of stumbles when it matters most.

Kindergarten Plop likes this

10 hours ago, Jonathan Trott said:

I probably wouldn't have put 27 hours in if it didn't have the words "Mass Effect" in it, to be honest, as well. I reckon that's probably the case for a few others who put quite some time into it. 

I was thinking of starting this again when I finish Persona. Can't even remember how many hours I did. Probably over 20. It was an absolute stinker, but I suppose I'll try again since I'll obviously get ME5.

5 hours ago, Kindergarten Plop said:

Yeah, that last episode felt more like a pure cut scene than the other two. Still enjoyed it though!

Also, I Iike Daughter, but I prefer a compilation soundtrack. It could have been so much better with one.

What choice did you make?

Spoiler

I told Rachel because I'm a messy bitch who lives for drama. I felt like the game was nudging me towards not telling her, and that probably would have made for a better ending, but it just didn't feel right to lie to her.

1 hour ago, mnemosyne said:

Hide contents

I told Rachel because I'm a messy bitch who lives for drama. I felt like the game was nudging me towards not telling her, and that probably would have made for a better ending, but it just didn't feel right to lie to her.

Spoiler

@Lights did that too. I didn't tell her because I knew she was going to die and I'd rather she died happy... well, ignorant but sort of happy. If it wasn't a prequel and I didnt know she was going to die soon anyway I probably would have told her the truth. Actually, my choice meant that Chloe probably died feeling guilty about lying. There's no good choice!

Spoiler

That makes sense. I just felt like the game didn't do a good enough job convincing me that she was better off not knowing. It's not like her father was telling a little white lie, he was plotting with the local drug lord to have her secret birth mother drugged and killed :lol: I dunno, that whole section of the game was kind of a mess for me.

How did you feel about the very last scene, with Rachel's phone ringing? I thought it was tacky and manipulative and I didn't like it at all. We already know how all this ends, there's no need to rub it in.

I've just been playing through Metal Gear Solid 5 again and man I kind of forgot how many missions there are where you have a short window to complete the objective. Fuck that shit. "BOSS! The target got away. Mission failed!"

Motherfucker why did you not tell me in the tape briefing that I have a limited time frame. Shiiiit I'm over here extracting sheep and collecting plants while this dude is flying away in a helicopter. 

I haven't been inclined to go back to that game yet. Almost every Metal Gear game I've owned, I've ended up selling back, then regretting the sale like a year later. Still have V tho

6 hours ago, Kindergarten Plop said:

Hide contents

@Lights did that too. I didn't tell her because I knew she was going to die and I'd rather she died happy... well, ignorant but sort of happy. If it wasn't a prequel and I didnt know she was going to die soon anyway I probably would have told her the truth. Actually, my choice meant that Chloe probably died feeling guilty about lying. There's no good choice!

Spoiler

I thought that the whole point was that Chloe was the only one in her life who was actually honest! Was the most logical choice to me...and she got to meet her real mother and spend time with her :) not sure that happens if you choose the other ending.

mnemosyne likes this