Sign in to follow this  
moose

Your Favo(u)rite Novels - TELL ME WHAT THEY ARE

e: Ahh, thank you! I'll keep an eye out for it (can't find it online yet :ph34r:).

there are two versions, one which came earlier and is longer, and another later edit by the author that is much shorter. the first translation i read was based on the shorter version, and is probably a lot easier to read, but i'm reading a different translation now based on the longer version and it's also really good but is obviously taking me much longer to read

• Play It As It Lays | Joan Didion
  • The Lover | Marguerite Duras
  • Lolita | Vladimir Nabokov
  • Pale Fire | Vladimir Nabokov
  • Jesus' Son | Denis Johnson
  • The Book of Disquiet | Fernando Pessoa
  • Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth | Chris Ware
  • Suicide | Édouard Levé
  • Franny and Zooey | J.D. Salinger
  • The Catcher in the Rye | J.D. Salinger
  • The Secret History | Donna Tartt
  • Notes from Underground | Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Oryx and Crake | Margaret Atwood
  • Mrs. Dalloway | Virginia Woolf
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest | Ken Kesey

i haven't read enough novels to do a top ten 

1. A Game of Thrones

2. A Clash of Kings

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Feast for Crows

5. A Dance with Dragons

6. The Winds of Winter

7. Dunk and Egg

Wild Cards

Oh man, Oryx and Crake is great. I forgot about that.

Franny and Zooey

Would be in my to ten too! The rest wouldn't though because they're shit!

:lol:

I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with Catcher in the Rye when I read it. Though that was AFTER reading F+Z, so it's hard to compete.

I like 9 Stories/For Esme a lot, and I think Raise High is great too, could do without Seymour: An Introduction, though.

how can you deny the ending with the kids on the carousel reaching for the rings and Holden saying don't tell anybody anything or you'll start missing everyone

and the part with the snow and sitting on the bench with his sister

and the ducks :tear:

Franny and Zooey

I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with Catcher in the Rye when I read it. Though that was AFTER reading F+Z, so it's hard to compete.

I like 9 Stories/For Esme a lot, and I think Raise High is great too, could do without Seymour: An Introduction, though. I meant the rest of your list, not the rest of Salinger's work. :angry:

in no order:

calvino - invisible cities

johnson - angels

nabokov- pale fire

west - day of the locust

o'connor - wise blood

also idk if the battlefield where the moon says i love you counts, but i get chills just thinking about it

Klee likes this

Franny and Zooey

I like 9 Stories/For Esme a lot, and I think Raise High is great too, could do without Seymour: An Introduction, though. I meant the rest of your list, not the rest of Salinger's work. :angry:

WELL I DUN GONE AND FUCKED UP.

how can you deny the ending with the kids on the carousel reaching for the rings and Holden saying don't tell anybody anything or you'll start missing everyone

and the part with the snow and sitting on the bench with his sister

and the ducks :tear:

Maybe I'm due for a re-read...

Do I need to reread Play It As It Lays or something? I read it last year and didn't get much out of it at all.

Also, I read Catcher over the summer between middle and high school, I think. I think that saved me from hating it when I had to read it in high school with a teacher I hated. I ended up hating so many of the books I had to read in high school. Great Expectations is probably the only exception, aside from Catcher.

Play It As It Lays is probably my favorite novel.

I think it's a. beautifully written b. an amazing character study and c. a well-done meditation on what it means to be a good or bad person, mercy vs. evil, what's our fault and what's not

I think about it a lot.

Also, I read Catcher over the summer between middle and high school, I think. I think that saved me from hating it when I had to read it in high school with a teacher I hated. I ended up hating so many of the books I had to read in high school. Great Expectations is probably the only exception, aside from Catcher.

I had to read it 3 times: in 8th grade, in a summer class, and freshman year of high school, and while I liked it the first time I think being forced to study it so deeply led to my great appreciation for it

Yeah, I ended up liking reading books with a class once I got to AP classes at the end of high school, but the early stuff really felt like beating my head against a wall. The kids were dumb, the teachers didn't really want to be teaching them, etc. And I think I just outright hated some of the books I had to read (side-eye at Lord of the Flies).