Sign in to follow this  
moose

Your Favo(u)rite Novels - TELL ME WHAT THEY ARE

Roberto Bolano - 2666

I got about 60 pages into this at a library last year and liked it.

The only other Bolano I've read, Distant Star, didn't do much for me.

I haven't read the most recent one, since I stopped reading and all, but I've adored everything else he's written, even if the first one, Number9Dream was a Murakami rip off. I prefer to see it as an homage any way. :pah:

blackswangreen is so light and subtle compared to the ambitious narratives of his other works, but it is so charming. :wub:

Roberto Bolano - 2666

I got about 60 pages into this at a library last year and liked it.

The only other Bolano I've read, Distant Star, didn't do much for me.

Yeah, I didn't really dig his shorter works for some reason. The Savage Detectives is also pretty great.

e: The middle section of 2666 is pretty grueling, but worth it.

It essentially deals with the investigations of hundreds of murders of women in what is essentially Ciudad Juarez. It's gripping but can weigh on you a bit.

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

It's cool that several people itt have listed this one. I reread it a couple years ago and I could see where it was kind of silly in ways I couldn't when I was a teenager, but it's still wonderful and I have sentimental attachment to it.

When I first read it I dreamed it would be what my life looked like in college and that wasn't too far off the mark actually.

I think I might re read a wrinkle in time at some point. I wonder it it seems as incredible to an adult as it did to an 11 year old me.

I was so into those, I read all of them!

I wonder the same thing about this same series from time to time. I loved them so much as a preteen and I'm curious to see how they will have aged.

I was really into young adult historical fiction specifically about morbid / sensational events like the Titanic. I was completely obsessed with the Titanic.

The Dear America series was my jam.

Loved The Giver. A couple years ago I gave it to my 10-year-old cousin in a halfhearted attempt at passing on something meaningful through the generations but I'm not sure if she read it or not. Also gave her a really cool pop-up version of The Little Prince.

YES, I loved Goblins in the Castle the most. And the entire Aliens Ate My Homework and My Teacher Is An Alien series.  Plus all those collections of short stories.  Definitely Stephen King for preteens.

I think I might re read a wrinkle in time at some point. I wonder it it seems as incredible to an adult as it did to an 11 year old me.

I was so into those, I read all of them!

i should do this too, pretty sure she's still one of the greatest young adult authors.

My favorite books as a kid were The Phantom Tollbooth, A Wrinkle in Time, and everything I could get my hands on by Roald Dahl :wub:

YES

For some reason I was particularly obsessed with the witches and read it over and over circa 5th grade

I reread the phantom tollbooth one night by ebook in college. Still as amazing as ever.

The Dear America series was my jam.

yes! Also the series of diaries "by" cleopatra and Elizabeth and stuff

Louis Sachar also great

Philip Pullman is one of THE GREATEST though not kidding

When I was younger I used to say my favourite book was 'I Am David' and when others asked if I was just picking that because my name is David I'd say "yes". But I did really like it.

I know there's already a shite film of it but imagine they made another and Clark did the soundtrack. And I loved the I Am David film with the Clark soundtrack. Imagine THAT, Ash.  

some of my favourites not mentioned so far (especially private memoirs)

The Private Memoirs And Confessions Of A Justerfied Sinner - James Hogg

Before Adam - Jack London

If Not Now, When? - Primo Levi

Diary Of A Nobody - George Grossmith

The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevski

It was more of an 'exception to the rule' thing. You don't automatically become an alternative rock fan because you own OK Computer.

Fuck off with this exception to the rule shit.

What you gonna do. Shall I say "the only sci fi/fantasy book I like is Northern Lights Trilogy"? Is that enough satisfaction for your pedantry? Maybe you shouldn't imply that you dislike an entire genre in the first place! What are you basing disliking it on anyways?