c.i.

Police Brutality

That concourse writeup is great, thanks klee

By all accounts, Brown was One Of The Good Ones. But laying all this out, explaining all the ways in which he didn't deserve to die like a dog in the street, is in itself disgraceful. Arguing whether Brown was a good kid or not is functionally arguing over whether he specifically deserved to die, a way of acknowledging that some black men ought to be executed.

you mean me?

and yeah this is definitely one of the crucial points that people need to get through their thick skulls, they did the same shit with trayvon arguing whether or not he was a good kid :wacko:

Sorry for the misattribution, I had just woke up when I first read the thing :|

CITE YOUR FUCKIN SOURCES ETHAN

I actually tried to quote the original post with the link but for some damn reason the board won't let you post if there's a quote past a certain length in there. I guess it's to prevent thread breaks? But instead of saying "quotes too long" or whatever it just flashes the progress bars like it's going to post and then nothing happens.

So I blame that, too.

wish that map was searchable it's pretty interesting. I found a few Georgia cities along the midline including where my grandmother lives as well as the UGA county, and Smyrna, so at least we're doing ok. Oh now I found Atlanta city, population 36% white, police force 35% white. But Atlanta is weird because so much of what might as well be the city, isn't in the city limits

e: there's a comment calling this data into question idk

CITE YOUR FUCKIN SOURCES ETHAN

I actually tried to quote the original post with the link but for some damn reason the board won't let you post if there's a quote past a certain length in there. I guess it's to prevent thread breaks? But instead of saying "quotes too long" or whatever it just flashes the progress bars like it's going to post and then nothing happens.

So I blame that, too.thats rough I'll keep that in mind

Ugh yeah even more of a let down than I expected. At least he said SOMETHING about peaceful protest and not arresting reporters but ffs

not like he's worrying about re-election. ruffle some racist feathers, please.

He doesn't need to worry about re election, maybe it's time to do what's right!

Obama isn't running for re-election, but a lot of other democrats are.

I'm telling you, the worst thing about America is that we are constantly in an election cycle.

OK. Maybe not the absolute worst, but I think it is a big reason for the policial clusterfuck and the fact that the President can't say anything without immediately starting to equivocate.

Police are terrible. Not just in Missouri. I was witness to all sorts of police violence from the Denver police, even was attacked from behind by police in riot gear while working as a reporter. Fuck them. They still don't seem to understand that showing up in riot gear and pointing guns at people is only going to make people more angry.

ocean, Moon and mnemosyne like this

Obama isn't running for re-election, but a lot of other democrats are.

This is what it is unfortunately. People have the most simplistic world view when it comes to politics in this country as well. Obama = democrats is how they see it. It's so fucking cynical. If Obama did anything more than what he's doing now he'll lose a lot of Senate seats in the south (which he's counting on for judicial appointees and the like). That seems to be his number one priority right now. It's why he made Max Baucus ambassador to China when he was pretty unqualified for the position and the motivations are the same for not acting here. Everything is about keeping the Senate for the dems right now.

It's so cynical it's disgusting tbh.

24 hours news and the internet have intensified it for sure.

Everything caters to opinion-based stories grounded in a single world view rather than an objective presentation of the facts. People say they're sick of it but it's fucking bullshit. They want their news outlets to tell them how right they are and stroke their egos/dicks while they do it. It ends up with a lot of people having this 'my way or gtfo' mentality.

People are skeptical of the media until it confirms their biases. So to the average uninformed american you're either with them or against them.

blocked at work :psyduck:

How Many More Black Teenagers Have To Die Before Racism Just Sort Of Goes Away On Its Own?

Rob Swenson

Blogger

Posted Today

The ongoing situation in Ferguson, Missouri is difficult to watch unfold, but the truth is, it is just one of countless undisguised reminders we’re bombarded with daily that to be an African-American in the United States is often to live a hostile existence. We see unarmed black teens being slain like they’re not even human, many times by the very police officers entrusted to protect them, and we’re at a loss as to why this is still happening.

The question we must ask ourselves as a nation is: How many more of such deaths of black teenagers do we have to see before racism just sort of goes away on its own?

The racial discrimination and animosity that stained our country’s early history are alive and well today, and they will continue to flourish until they all just sort of stop. But when? How many more stories like Trayvon Martin’s or Michael Brown’s must we hear before racism just kind of fizzles out without me having to do anything about it? How many police officers will be placed on paid administrative leave for committing a heinous crime against a minority before the dire and awful realities that plague this country suddenly stop being so dire and awful?

It’s hard to say. It seems like so many of us have done our part by waiting for racism to take care of itself. We’ve blogged about racism’s prevalence in a supposedly “post-racial America.” We’ve complained about it on Facebook and occasionally signed petitions. Yet racism persists, and all we can do now is wait for the day when this whole thing more or less sorts itself out.

In the meantime, the only thing we can do is pray that the vigils and protests that black people are holding across the country will have some sort of effect that will get racism to finally stop on its own. And maybe a politician or someone could make an anti-racism law or something, too. Certainly couldn’t hurt.

Now, more than ever, we need to stand idly by for the day when well-behaved black kids can finally go outside and play without fear of unwarranted searches, incarceration, or worse. We must never stop waiting for the injustice to cease on its own.

i tell you what, that backpack thread almost got me back into the chatterbox

i just dont feel theres anything wrong with having a backpack, ever

theyre practical damnit

#notallprofessionals

moose likes this