mylo

Generic P4K Grievances Thread

The fuck? Didn't the Fork get the memo that we weren't going to do a ’10 - ’14 list until next spring, AFTER the ’14 list?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to think this music reviewing web site might have its head up its own ass.

I haven't yet heard Bon Iver, Bon Iver.  People didn't like it much back on AtEase, none of the people I follow on RYM really liked it, so it just passed me by.  I've been keeping track of the Pitchfork favourites but have thought less and less of them with time, I wouldn't bother if I didn't think they were so influential.

1. MBDTF

2. Good Kid...

3. Yeezus

4. Bon Iver, Bon Iver

5. To Be Kind

?

Pretty slow decade.

But seriously, why would anyone do this now considering the fact that a lot of influential albums are actually released in the fall of their respective years. Hell, I remember last year when it was BNM-bonanza in october-november and every week like 3 albums got Best New Music from the fork. Doing this now is seriously dumb ever for them.

The 9+'s of the decade so far, hmmmmmmm

Teen Dream

Have One on Me

This Is Happening

Before Today

Sir Lucious Left Foot

Halcyon Digest

MBDTF

James Blake

Bon Iver

Father, Son, Holy Ghost

Strange Mercy

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bloom

The Idler Wheel...

Channel Orange

The Seer

Shields

Lonerism

Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

GKMC

mbv

MVOTC

Settle

Yeezus

Psychic

Reflektor

Rival Dealer

Benji

To Be Kind

I hope Ryan Schreiber dies in a fire tbh.

Or at least fades into irrelevance cause that's the kind of attention whoring shit that reminds me of of NME circa 1997. Of course, kids now are even dumber than they were back in those days.

Teen Dream

This Is Happening

Halcyon Digest

James Blake

Father, Son, Holy Ghost

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Shields

Lonerism

GKMC

mbv

Yeezus

Reflektor

Rival Dealer

Benji

All albums that are mediocre or just plain bad and never should deserve any mention on a half-decade list.

I mean, I'm even a big SKM, MBV or Godspeed fan but the thought that Benji, M B V or Allelujah is one of the best albums of the last 5 years, Jesus Christ. And then I'm not even talking about Blake or Grlizzly Bear who are completely devoid of any talent in the first place.

Teen Dream

Have One on Me

This Is Happening

Before Today

Sir Lucious Left Foot

Halcyon Digest

MBDTF

James Blake

Bon Iver

Father, Son, Holy Ghost

Strange Mercy

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bloom

The Idler Wheel...

Channel Orange

The Seer

Shields

Lonerism

GKMC

mbv

MVOTC

Settle

Yeezus

Psychic

Reflektor

Rival Dealer

Benji

To Be Kind

Albums that made the top ten of their year lists that aren't here:

The Monitor

Bells Sketch/CMYK/Klavierwerke

Contra

House of Balloons

Days

Take Care

w h o k i l l

Replica

Let England Shake

Kaputt

The Money Store

Kill for Love

Visions

Silence Yourself

Impersonator

Random Access Memories

Sunbather

Old

It's likely 5-10 of these combined lists won't make it in their top 50.

That's even worse, like we really need Tuneyards, Grimes or that Daft Punk album that disappointed everyone who listened to shit from this band before but still sold a lot cause Get Lucky and most expensive marketing campaign that wasn't Britney Spears in the top of anything.

Could see them putting this is happening way too high for #branding reasons. That s.o. to LCD in the intro was a little :unsure:

I like James Murphy's stuff, but they're really grasping for straws to accentuate the p4k curated monoculture if they're going to pretend that LCD ceasing to exist was a b.f.d.

Isn't This is Happening one of their most glaring missfires the last 5 years? I mean maybe I'm looking at this from a European perspective (or maybe not cause Murphy is ripping off European bands + Talking Heads) too much but while the first 2 albums actually had their support here that record got a collective shrug and obvious plagiarism is not a very nice thing to do.

There is probably a seriously amazing collection of mostly and completely inspiring human music that has come into existence over the past five years!   this would be out of everything that has little things that make them less able to be presented on limited sites, because they are imperfect or abrasive , not large scale releases, released only in some countries and so on.  ^_^  

Many times it's quite appalling to think that pitchfork has a very large audience of incredibly sentient lifeforms on the only planet we know of with life, and it just doesn't ever feel that way, it is really off base with what humans really are and especially our overall culture and our music, what it really means, how it could evolve to involve... change to be more charitable to the most people instead of spotlighting like a caste system; rather than having a select few members of our kind literally come up with ways to try to tell people how to view it...

It is my anthropology leanings that make it so different from other perspectives on the matter; to me pitchfork is the biggest zine experienced by the most humans, but it does not yet let this reality shine through.  Could you imagine a pitchfork that embraced that we are radically intelligent and creative animals, not just brains to be shaped into approving of and being attracted to certain music and ideas?

Actually, I guess it would be.. like the Annex ^tM   ^_^  :wub:

so on a smaller scale it is already here and has zero risk of being run by alterior motives and payola!

Could see them putting this is happening way too high for #branding reasons. That s.o. to LCD in the intro was a little :unsure:

I like James Murphy's stuff, but they're really grasping for straws to accentuate the p4k curated monoculture if they're going to pretend that LCD ceasing to exist was a b.f.d.

LCD NYC P4K 4VR

this is happening is my favorite lcd record though. well maybe. haven't listened to any of them in a long while

I mean, he always leaned heavily on established classics from day 1, but at least dance yrself clean and I can change were awesome and not at all plaugurized.

TiH is obviously not Sound of Silver though c'mon. I never was Murphy's biggest fan but I can understand SoS in a list like this (well a 00s list), TiH is a bit silly.

I mean, he always leaned heavily on established classics from day 1, but at least dance yrself clean and I can change were awesome and not at all plaugurized.

TiH is obviously not Sound of Silver though c'mon. I never was Murphy's biggest fan but I can understand SoS in a list like this (well a 00s list), TiH is a bit silly.

I would say that weighing The Narrative far more favorably than actual quality (what they've always done with LCD) , this is happening makes for a fine choice. "celebrated" act announces his last record and it's full of big messy ass tracks that were more HEART ON SLEEVE than anything he'd done before, it's like, I get it.