shakes

thread for when musicians say stupid things

I like Gilbot's posts in this thread although given that he is the master of churning out the list I imagine he must have had some 404 errors trying to process and rationalise his thoughts.

Sometimes when I make music lists I think about how stupid and pointless an exercise it is. Why should anyone care what I like? Why does my opinion matter? Why even bother submitting something for a poll when white guy canon will inevitably reign? So I sympathise with many of his arguments. I thought the piece was well written and thoughtful and I appreciate the Quietus for allowing it to run, because it's nice to have variety in a rote column like that.

But at the same time I just like knowing what someone's favourite music is. Especially those working in the art form, or just otherwise interesting people. I mean, when Gwyneth Paltrow put like Zebra Katz and Chief Keef on a playlist that one time? When people discovered (inadvertently) that Grigor Dimitrov listens to Whitney on Spotify before he goes out to play? That fascinates me. Pigeonholing people by what they listen to or read or watch is probably wrong, but at the same time it's really one of the few reasons why I still look at and participate in messageboards.

dunderhead and c.i. like this

But at the same time I just like knowing what someone's favourite music is. Especially those working in the art form, or just otherwise interesting people. I mean, when Gwyneth Paltrow put like Zebra Katz and Chief Keef on a playlist that one time? When people discovered (inadvertently) that Grigor Dimitrov listens to Whitney on Spotify before he goes out to play? That fascinates me. Pigeonholing people by what they listen to or read or watch is probably wrong, but at the same time it's really one of the few reasons why I still look at and participate in messageboards.

:thumbsup:

been thinkin about that stupid matmos fucker a lot today

I guess what I find so unpleasant about the whole thing is that it seems the point he's trying to make, within his first few items at least, is that naming a few of your favorite records is morally objectionable and/or intellectually dishonest, and that is ludicrous. 

this and the fact that he goes on to discretely name drop a few favorites anyway, while illustrating the article with goddamn pictures of his record collection

c.i. and moose like this

I like Gilbot's posts in this thread although given that he is the master of churning out the list I imagine he must have had some 404 errors trying to process and rationalise his thoughts.

There's a lot of things there I've thought about before, and it was somewhat vindicating to see someone else have the same thoughts.  It's just he has a skeptical attitude about the whole process as a result and I don't.  Where I differ from him is that (1) I do think our favourites are in some profound sense quantifiable, just in a far more complicated way; (2) I don't think "list culture" is all that significant in the grand scheme of things, but then I have the luxury of my lists not mattering to more than ten or so people because I'm a nobody.

In short, I don't think of my lists or RYM ratings as anything like a serious study, or even all that helpful.  I have them as sort of a fun experiment for me to refer back to later on.  But if I were to ever think seriously about aesthetics (there's a big literature already, and I would have to know a lot more about music), I would start with the following inclinations:

1. I cannot quantify my favourite songs/records on the basis of a single linear order - though maybe a tuple of partial orders.

2. I do believe having favourites is useful for recommendation purposes, but to keep people from wasting their time, ratings/lists should be accompanied by helpful contextual information.

3. Perhaps more controversially, I do not equate my favourite songs/records with those I listen to the most.  To this day I see people try to develop algorithms to suggest musical taste on the basis of the frequency of listens of particular songs on streaming sites, without any analysis of the music file.  I think there will be serious limits to how helpful such a algorithm could be, especially with those that listen to a lot of different music all the time.

ocean likes this

hmm, i'm detecting a district strain of anti-intellectualism in this thread

I'm not anti-intellectual but there's a difference between being an intellectual and literally wanking yourself to death.

one is a lot of fun and the other is boring and lame?

Prince reinvents the AMA format in spectacularly crap fashion. 

As Consequence of Sound report, Prince activated an official Facebook account yesterday. In order to kick off the page with a bang, Prince announced a live Q&A in the traditional manner: “Join Prince for an exclusive Q&A on Facebook right here at 12pm PT/ 3PM EST!! Submit your questions below!!!” Predictably, an onslaught of fan questions followed, taking in everything from his attitude to YouTube to possible movie plans.

As it happened, that “exclusive Q&A” ended up being something else entirely. Prince took until about 3pm PT – three hours later – to answer the (rather speccy) first question: “Please address the importance of ALL music being tuned to 432hz sound frequencies??” The Purple One responded with a solitary link to an article. 

In the 10 hours since that response, Prince hasn’t deigned to answer another question. Good work, everyone.

this isnt stupid at all but w/e. really nice interview imo

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9544-robert-wyatt/

Pitchfork: Are you working on any new music right now?

RW: No. There's other stuff going on in my own life here with me and Alfie, partly health stuff, getting older. We've got problems that are taking up all our attention. Also, I've been in the saddle now for 50 years, and honestly, I'm a bit saddlesore. So I've got off my horse and have just been wandering around in our little paddock here.

I'm spending a lot of time with Alfie, and I hope we have a long time, but this is kind of the end run. And I haven't been a particularly good husband, not very attentive. I'm trying to make that right. I really like her company. She makes me laugh. We watch things together, a lot of DVD box sets of shows like “The Good Wife” and “Mad Men”. 

I stopped drinking a few years ago, and drinking was a big help with me making music, because drinking gives you courage. But it also makes you reckless, and that's the trouble. You can get away with that your 20s, but not in your 60s, and I'll be 70 next year. Life is a small space now, much more intimate. I'm not out there in the world anymore, but I'm watching.

seems like a rad dude :tear:

He's been with Alfie for 50 years

Joking apart - when you're drunk you're terrific when you're drunk

I like you mostly late at night you're quite alright

But I can't understand the different you in the morning

When it's time to play at being human for a while please smile!

RW always honest about stuff, then and now - It's the end run :(

Have you heard Rock Bottom shakes?

He's been with Alfie for 50 years

Joking apart - when you're drunk you're terrific when you're drunk

I like you mostly late at night you're quite alright

But I can't understand the different you in the morning

When it's time to play at being human for a while please smile!

RW always honest about stuff, then and now - It's the end run

Have you heard Rock Bottom shakes?

nope, been meaning to though. ive only heard the early soft machine stuff and comicopera. i got really into kevin ayers shortly after discovering soft machine and never really came back to explore much of wyatts catalog

guy seems completely at peace in that interview, even when the interviewer mentioned the accident and the suicide attempt. really nice read