shakes

thread for when musicians say stupid things

3 minutes ago, rossiter said:

In what way was germany (which I assume you're alluding to) a functioning democracy after 1933 or so?

(to Salem's genocide comment)

The Holocaust isn't the only example of genocide committed in or by a democratic nation. Look at the US's role in East Timor, for a recent example. Or our role in the ongoing conflict in Yemen.

30 minutes ago, Salem said:

(most of) Those things exist in countries that have never had any democratic governments though. Not that I'm going to advocate for absolute monarchies and shit, but consider perhaps that ideas can be stronger than systems of governance.

yes, non-democratic nations are well known for granting human rights, enabling social mobility, and not abusing their power

the countries with the highest quality of life are democracies.  the only argument against democracy is that "people are stupid and need to be told what to do" which is a fucking awful argument that's easily dismantled

rossiter likes this

1 hour ago, Kemper Boyd said:

yes, non-democratic nations are well known for granting human rights, enabling social mobility, and not abusing their power

the countries with the highest quality of life are democracies.  the only argument against democracy is that "people are stupid and need to be told what to do" which is a fucking awful argument that's easily dismantled

Agreed, but there is a strong argument to be made that modern day democracies aren't exactly working as they should or at least that something wrong. As some of the comments in this very thread point out, the idea of being tied to a certain political class no matter what you vote is a sentiment that is very prevalent in a lot of Western democracies, be it the USA, England, The Netherlands of France. I think the point is not, and never was, people being 'too stupid to vote' but rather the perception by those people that their concerns aren't being heard or acted on - concerns that seem to me to have at least some basis in reality in a lot of cases. 

There's more ways of being a democracy than 'the one with the most votes wins!'. I'm personally very interested in the idea (and some very small scale experiments) to appoint minor government en legislative administrators by lot - modelled in a way after Athens. It's an interesting way to break in to the political class and get 'random' people interested and involved in government.

Salem likes this

15 minutes ago, A Fine Bottle Of Wine said:

I think the point is not, and never was, people being 'too stupid to vote' but rather the perception by those people that their concerns aren't being heard or acted on - concerns that seem to me to have at least some basis in reality in a lot of cases. 

true, but the  problem is less with the system than with people not being engaged with the system and their representatives. it's pretty easy to do, and they respond to pressure. i understand why people think that politicians are separate from them though since that's been the myth for at least my whole life. we're told that we're powerless even though we have a system that grants us the power if we want it.

25 minutes ago, A Fine Bottle Of Wine said:

There's more ways of being a democracy than 'the one with the most votes wins!'. I'm personally very interested in the idea (and some very small scale experiments) to appoint minor government en legislative administers by lot - modelled in a way after Athens. It's an interesting way to break in to the political class and get 'random' people interested and involved in government.

this would be really interesting and is worth trying out. 

STEREOGUM: What do you think of (U2's) new album?

GALLAGHER: I think it’s good. There’s a track called “The Showman,” one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, “The Showman.” Wish I’d written it, put it that way.

no fucking way is one of U2's best ever songs on their new album. it's not possible. I like the last one a lot but as good as I think it is I know that if I had to pick 100 U2 songs to play to someone not one from it would be on that list...well, maybe Crystal Ballroom, but that's a bonus track and is a top 100 U2 song but it wasn't on the album because they're deranged.

5 minutes ago, Kemper Boyd said:

true, but the  problem is less with the system than with people not being engaged with the system and their representatives. it's pretty easy to do, and they respond to pressure. i understand why people think that politicians are separate from them though since that's been the myth for at least my whole life. we're told that we're powerless even though we have a system that grants us the power if we want it.

Realistically, how?

The power in our societies has been consolidated and is guarded by our economic system, our legal system, our culture, everything. We can't regain that power by making binary decisions between choice A and choice B. Even working within the framework and getting choice C on there is, well, it's really fucking hard.

12 minutes ago, Salem said:

I support rule by benevolent AI tbh.

I support something like anarcho-syndicalism. I think government rooted in the workplace/industrial unionism per strict anarcho-syndicalist ideas isn't really a relevant model for this day and age, but something more like the municipalism of Bookchin makes a ton of sense to me.

8 minutes ago, Salem said:

Realistically, how?

The power in our societies has been consolidated and is guarded by our economic system, our legal system, our culture, everything. We can't regain that power by making binary decisions between choice A and choice B. Even working within the framework and getting choice C on there is, well, it's really fucking hard.

I think liberalism's defining feature is its veneration of constitutional process and civility, which is also its biggest blind spot.

Salem likes this

1 hour ago, Salem said:

Realistically, how?

by being involved with our representatives and in the selection of of those representatives

sane campaign finance laws and proportional representation help, but those things can be achieved by using the system.

or you could slaughter a bunch of people, but it's easier to use the democratic system

1 hour ago, eeeezypeezy said:

I think liberalism's defining feature is its veneration of constitutional process and civility, which is also its biggest blind spot.

yeah, why venerate an easy to use system that has given us educated lives of health, wealth, safety and leisure unimaginable to all but the rich of 100 years ago. also, why be civil? we should berate those we're trying convince of our arguments.

Just now, Kemper Boyd said:

yeah, why venerate an easy to use system that has given us educated lives of health, wealth, safety and leisure unimaginable to all but the rich of 100 years ago. also, why be civil? we should berate those we're trying convince of our arguments.

The system sucks, it's obtuse and it privileges the few by design. It is what it is but if you don't think we can do better I don't know what to tell you.

It's not about being uncivil to people on the internet, it's about being uncivil to the people who actually have power. You don't have power, I don't have power. Notice how the political, economic and media elite argue with one another on television and then go out for drinks afterwards, for them it's all sporting disagreements over abstractions, but for the people they rule these issues are often a matter of life and death.

Salem likes this

10 hours ago, Kemper Boyd said:

it would be nice if more people who didn't pay attention to what was going on or even have a basic idea of party platforms acknowledged that they didn't know enough to form a valid opinion and abstained from voting, but nobody is "too dumb to vote."

Noel Gallagher.

The audio also includes Morrissey explaining, in depth, his belief that “Germany has become the rape capital of Europe.” He says that “it coincides with the open borders and the free flow, which is very very shocking.” The interview closes with his views on the dangers of multiculturalism:

It’s very important for every country to retain the identity it has because it doesn’t come easy. Millions of people died for the German identity. Millions of people died for the British identity. And if you respect all those people and the loss of their lives, then you must protect your own country to a great extent. You cannot say that the identity of your country is nothing—you cannot say that!—and that seems to be happening throughout Europe.

:jayz:

Morrissey should have taken a vow of silence when Marr left the Smiths.

eeeezypeezy, John McClane and ocean like this

the outrage over that is so fucking stupid. it's like people didn't read the rest of what he said...or acknowledge that the work he's doing is focused on women, which he says later in the interview...

the real notable thing that ought to be making the rounds from that interview is that the AIDS funding his advocacy helped W Bush to commit to has saved 20 million lives.  That's pretty incredible.  I was very critical of him associating with Bush in the mid 00s, but it seems that maybe it was worth it. Who knew that an activist has a better idea of what he should be doing to deal with a crisis than a random asshole on the internet!

there are a lot of substantial, positive things to take from that interview but instead people focus on an insignificant word without even considering the context.  it's almost like people want to be angry

15 minutes ago, Kemper Boyd said:

the outrage over that is so fucking stupid. it's like people didn't read the rest of what he said...or acknowledge that the work he's doing is focused on women, which he says later in the interview...

the real notable thing that ought to be making the rounds from that interview is that the AIDS funding his advocacy helped W Bush to commit to has saved 20 million lives.  That's pretty incredible.  I was very critical of him associating with Bush in the mid 00s, but it seems that maybe it was worth it. Who knew that an activist has a better idea of what he should be doing to deal with a crisis than a random asshole on the internet!

there are a lot of substantial, positive things to take from that interview but instead people focus on an insignificant word without even considering the context.  it's almost like people want to be angry

it can still be a dumb comment.

14 hours ago, I am a damn ass bunny said:

but anyone who's turning to bono for grounded insights about gender and the state of music in 2017 deserves it I guess

i'm curious about why you think this. he's a musician and has been involved in gender based NGO work for many  years so it seems like his opinion would be just as valid as anyones.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:33 AM, Dale Nixon said:

it's now hitting me how stupid this line is. wouldn't you want to miss a chance to blow? slim shady you are dumb as hell bro 

this line always bothered me tbh but just went on a lil internet sleuth mission

probably from to blow up (become famous in a short time) usually blow means fail, but in this context it is more like the jazz slang meaning play

http://slangcity.com/songs/lose_yourself.htm

another gem

stacked non-traditional use of the word to mean possibly "depressed." Normally this word is used to describe a woman with big breasts.