Mogi67

Soylent: Meal of the future

I really don't like this. Partially because I first read about it in an article about how they want to replace food stamps with it.

Yeah, that is a terrible idea.

But having it on shelves as an option for people on WIC or whatever, I don't have an issue with that.

I really don't like this. Partially because I first read about it in an article about how they want to replace food stamps with it.

That would be terrible. This should be an option for people who don't care / want to save money.

But forcing people to eat this — or anything really — is a nonstarter.

Totally going to get this. Will put myself on the soylent challenge. I love food and eating, but not like some people.

Sure, let's just take something that's been integral to our survival as a species for as long as there have been humans, and conveniently remove it from our lives! Who cares where our food comes from! What could possibly go wrong?

I'm more interested out if morbid curiosity than a genuine interest in not eating.

I used to fast often for health and spiritual reasons. So I'd like to think I could give up real food easily enough. Especially if I wasn't, you know, going hungry.

if I had to worry about my family's survival all the time then I wouldn't care what I and my family had to eat as long as we got all necessary nutrition out of the "food" we were ingesting

if I lived in the same society as I do now then there better be some quality sushi around

I spend a lot of time growing, harvesting, preserving, cooking, and eating. Also preparing soil, learning about plants, reading recipes, dealing with garden pests, teaching others about all these different aspects of food. TONS of time. And I love it most of the time. 

i just feel like i eat to not be hungry is all. it gives me no pleasure and i already eat super cheap as it is because why waste money on something thats over in ten minutes tops. if i could eat cheap, with legit nutrition stuff, and without ever having to decide what to eat i dont see a downside tbh

eeeezypeezy likes this

that is fucked up though

it is fucked up but i think theres some merit to the idea tbh. i dont know how you could make it feel less like govt straight up controlling what people eat, or if thats even possible, but encouraging food stamp recipients to get proper nutrition as cost efficiently as possible (basically what i gather the aim of soylent to be) is definitely a worthwhile cause imo. theres just a ton of issues that would take some serious ironing out for that to really get off the ground

omg im getting food stamp application ads on this page :lol:

I think I`ll buy some of this as well for occasional use. If it genuinely improves my health and regulates my nutritional intake I`d be pretty psyched. I try to eat healthy and haven`t eaten meat except for fish for 6 years now. I have a pretty crappy appetite in the morning and this seems like it would be a great substitution for breakfast when I`m rushing out the door.

Guest Eat Shadows

I don't have a problem with that because I don't eat animal penis and balls.

I'm gonna eat nothing but this shit today and I'll report back.  It'll probably go like the early reviewers said and I'll get toxic fart syndrome but otherwise feel just dandy.  Already had a glass before leaving for work, thought I'd get into the office and want to go for the usual bacon and eggs but I'm not hungry at all.