Sign in to follow this  
harcourt™

Running: The running thread

i like it, but i haven't been making a habit of doing it lately. i probably should get back into it. i did a half marathon like a year ago and was really happy with how i did, but i pretty much stopped after that.

not confirmed that they're fucking up feet, but they made health claims with no studies to back them up, so they have to pay out a large settlement on a false advertising type claim

wouldn't be surprised if the FDA gets involved.

Did my first "long" run a month ago

10 mile Broad Street Run in Philadelphia. It's slightly downhill, but I held a 7:21 average pace and ended up finishing in an hour and 13 minutes. Pretty proud tbh, although I was told that it's a gateway race and now I truly do feel like I need to sign up for a half marathon to motivate myself to keep my fitness where it's at.

I did hear about that lawsuit!

Not gonna lie, felt totally vindicated after that. Sure, I dabbled in barefoot running here and there. But it was, you know, actually barefoot. The idea of shelling out $100+ for some trendy nonsense garbage never set well with me.

Well, that and I have obnoxious brand loyalty to Brooks when it comes to running shoes. All I will ever buy.

• • •

1:13 isn't bad at all, Roger. That means you could possibly finish a half in under 90 minutes if you train hard.

I run once a week or so, about 4km, and it's rare that I'll ever actually run the whole thing and I never really get better. I guess it's because I don't do it enough but it kinda sucks.

I've always thought I hated running, hated the idea of it even. Imagine my surprise when we had a 5K fun run/walk thing at school last week (which I mostly walked) and I enjoyed running a bit here and there! I felt really good afterwards and wondered if I would like making a habit of this. 

I run like crazy. I like to think it makes up for my complete lack of sporting ability.

Actually in highschool I was captain of my year level's soccer team for 3 years. But everyone tells me soccer isn't a sport so I guess that doesn't count.

The best part is that you have to get out there and do it again while you're still sore and miserable. If you wait until you're all better, then it's like you never went in the first place and the cycle continues :(

i live dangerously

I have had a couple of close calls with cars hitting me. 

Once a car followed me for a while (this one didn't almost hit me or anything) they just kinda slowly kept up with my pace for a while it was at night and really creepy.  I ended up getting off my path and darting through some apartment buildings.  Totally fucked up my run!

Outside, I think it is very dangerous to listen to music. I think being able to hear cars or cyclists approaching is pretty important. I dunno.

I pretty much always ride with earphones in. idgaf, simple attention to my surroundings already makes me a much safer rider than one who can hear (plus tbh I don't have it so loud that I can't hear loud, important noises around me)

I just wanted a running thread for, you know, running.

Actually talking about running is kinda annoying. I don't really want to be that blowhard with the facebook posts saying shit like: "did 12 miles today in 90 minutes, feeling pretty confident about the race this week, but really need to spend more time in the pool for the triathlon next month".

But I totally am that guy. I can't help being awesome and fit. It's because I'm off the gluten, you know.

I'm not too fussed about being aware of my surroundings because mid-morning weekdays don't seem to be busy in the bush. I see maybe two people when I go out for an hour.

I just like listening to the magpies and crows and kookaburras! But I also like being able to run a reasonable distance without thinking about anything! :flail:

The bit of bush I run around is really great. There's kangaroos and heaps of birds. I'll run on the path for a bit and then hike through the bush (on a trail) to warm down. I've run into more spiderwebs than I can count and every time something brushes my ankles my heart skips a beat thinking it's a snake.

Plus I've been pooped on by a galah which was pretty shitty.