Sign in to follow this  
harcourt™

Running: The running thread

The lighter the sole and cushion translates to more running on your toes. And toes are better than heels when it comes to efficiency.

I run in regular shoes with the cushion. I like the extra padding and it doesn't at all keep you from running properly.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Most quality running shops will have someone who can analyze your stride and give you pointers and pick the best shoe for you.

Ronnie O'Sullivan's book is almost inspiring me to head out and shake off the shackles. What kind of shoes do I need? Conventional logic says those bouncy, big ass ones that you see in running shops, yet when I spoke to someone they said thin soles are better for you. Anyone know the hap?

they're not better for you if you're running on asphalt which you probably are.  

thing i miss most about running is how it kept my shoulders hella loose.  nothing else seems to really warm up the muscles so much that they bursht open.

i mean :|

that's how it feels

like they're becoming unshackled

Does that even work? My ass is still pretty flabby yet my legs are hard as rocks.

Time will tell, I suppose. My sister did it (along with going to the gym and stuff) and lost 70 pounds and looks and feels amazing now. I think when one's ass is as flabby as mine is and my sister's was, anything is going to help in that department.

I've been doing run/walk intervals a few days a week for a few months, but I really wanted something outlined such as the C25K there. Just having something to follow makes it so much easier to get it done and see improvement and all that.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl :D

I did the c25k, it worked really well for me. I get shin splints easily, so the slow buildup was what I needed. Eventually got up to 5 miles a day. I often wanted to skip ahead in the plan, but you've got keep that ambition in check and stick with it.

Regarding the shin splints, I did a little research and figured out that if I leaned forward just the tiniest bit at the ankles, it helped me land on the middle of my foot. That helped a lot.

I have (currently mostly dormant) plantar fasciitis, and the ball of my left foot ached a bit after that first run, so I have to remember to really stretch my calves and feet if I want to prevent that from being a recurring issue.

I feel pretty bad for Fly right now. He wants a thread to talk about how people are training for marathons and stuff and instead we're all like "What kind of shoes do I need" and "I ran for five minutes straight yesterday it was exhausting"  :>

I feel pretty bad for Fly right now. He wants a thread to talk about how people are training for marathons and stuff and instead we're all like "What kind of shoes do I need" and "I ran for five minutes straight yesterday it was exhausting"  :>

:(

Nah. I just kept seeing other threads referred to a "running thread" to be a catch all and, since I really like running, I thought, hey, why not a running running thread. Snork.

Sometimes I want to write more about my runs, but I think it would be pretty obnoxious to read me write about all the ten milers I've been going on lately and shit.

One day I will have the perfect chance to oh-so-casually let it slip that my last marathon time qualifies me for Boston. But until then, I'm just going to have to suffer in silence.

I just don't have the patience or energy after work to pump out ten milers

I just like to maintain my speed at least and work off all/some of the bad crap I eat.

Good running shoes were a life changing experience btw, it was like feeling 10 pounds lighter suddenly.

I suspect I should probably get some new shoes soon if I'm going to keep this up. And a new bra.

Yes and yes by golly, can't wait to get my hands on some semi-appropriate gear.

Also, does it destroy your knees running on concrete? There really isn't much soft ground to run on near here.

well... i can't answer this with any level of expertise BUT i can't stress the importance of stretching enough. i know it sounds corny, but i see so many people at the gym and elsewhere just kinda go and that's just an injury waiting to happen.

also, treadmills will hurt your knees if you don't put at least a 0.5 or 1.0 incline on there. i always run on 1.0. something about the tiny way in which knees buckle from the impact of moving fast on a completely flat, hard surface.

idk, i'm not a scientist

Yeah, dynamic stretching before my runs seems to help a lot (not static stretching, that's said to be detrimental before a run).  Also, I usually walk for a few minutes at the beginning of a run.  After my run, I immediately do about 10 minutes of static stretching.  It's become a habit, and I feel uncomfortable if I don't get some good stretching in.

I'm not to stretch before runs. I lace up my shoes, harness up the dogs (it's adorable how excited they get at the mere sight of my running shorts), walk down to the lake and go.

It's exactly 5k around, which is nice. I try to get at least two laps in every other day and squeeze in a long run on the weekends, but lately I've been doing a lot of intense hikes instead, so I've been running less.

I am committed to a course of poses each morning with my yoga routine, but it's nothing special: a series of sun salutations. But it does help keep my legs stretched.