Sign in to follow this  
harcourt™

Running: The running thread

I think my feisty, motivational emoticon was clearly misunderstood.

If there was an emoticon playing the Rocky theme from that classic training montage, that's what I would have picked.

You would murder me in a fistfight.

Just picked up a pair of Nike Free 5.0s last week. A little underwhelmed after all the great reviews I was reading. At least I was able to get them on sale.

Reebok's Realflexs looked ugly as shit when I had them but they were pretty easily the most comfortable running shoes I've ever had. Might have to pick another pair of those.

Nike running shoes are OK.

But I just love Brooks and think they are the shit.

Of course, everyone has different feet, so thank goodness there are different brands and stuff.

Even the best shoes need to be broken in a bit.

I'm doing great! I'm not sure how I'll fit it in when school starts, but I'm to a point now where I don't need the app--I just run. I ran 25 minutes the other day, which was 2 miles, which is kind of slow I guess, so I'm going to keep trying to run 25 minutes at least twice a week and see if I can cover more distance in that time. I didn't have any way to really measure my distance, so I got a fitbit, which is pretty fun to play around with. 

Wow, you're hauling ass!

25 minutes is good amount of time for exercise. It's not so long that it feels like it's eaten up your day, but it's long enough to make it worth the effort.

I just use my mobile's stopwatch to keep track of the varying stints of running and walking, but I'd be very interested to know how far I go. Right now I haven't a clue!

I'm following it, too, but I started a few weeks after you. I'm technically on week 4 but I'm going to repeat week 3 because my comfort level during those runs was lower than I'd like.

I am enjoying it nonetheless!

I think I might have to work out a way to listen to music, though, because it does make the time go by without noticing which is nice. I just can't stand the jiggly headphone wires weighing on my ears!

I can't listen to music when I run outside :( I'm always scared that there might be a biker behind me and I won't be able to hear them

This.

Treadmills + music are a great combo. But outside I need my ears.

Did a lot of hiking last week. This week I had classes start up and I got sick. :(

Haven't been for a run in a minute. And I was this close to signing up for a marathon. Still might, though.

It's probably a Colorado thing.

Kirembri, back me up here.

It's been a minute since I've heard someone use that term, but I heard it all the time in Colorado!

After having a couple vodka sodas at the bar my brother works at, the bike ride home was just perfect. It is lovely crisp fall weather and there is some cold weather on its way so I said fuck it, and went for a run.

That's not easy, running after drinking a few. Kind of kicked my ass.

I think I pulled a quad biking home yesterday, too. It fucking hurts but I'm not too limited in what I can do.

My fastest 10k time came after a night of drinking a lot of beer and sleeping on the floor in the office. Beer is a great way to carb up.

I ran in old shoes one day last week because I left my new ones at work. It was like running in slippers. Tried to keep it reaaaaally short so I wouldn't hurt myself. Re aggravated plantar fasciitis :spongebob:

This straight up ruined my month.

Still cramping my style, guys :(

This is awful. I have a race in a month.

Never ran far after drinking, pretty sure I would cramp quickly.

What distance is your race next month?

Plantar fasciitis is the worst. That and hamstring injuries never seem to go away. I'm pretty lucky that I've never had to deal with either, just creaky knees from all the basketball I used to play.

I was definitely having to push through some cramps. The only reason I even considered it was because vodka sodas are pretty light. Would never do not long after drinking beer.

And my dogs didn't really get the memo that I wanted to slow it down a touch.

People always joke that I'm not doing any work since my dogs are pulling me, but keeping them restrained and under control in a crowded park when they are excited is a workout in itself.

Psycho, while you haven't been running have you been going on long walks or anything else?

The nice thing about a 10k is that it doesn't require a lot of overtraining. Just a general level of fitness. If you can work on your cardio by bicycling or anything else and give your injury time to heal, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to tackle that with just a few small warm-up runs a week or so before.

I know sometimes even cycling can be a bitch on a bad foot though. :(

Hope it works out for you.

Plantar fasciitis is such a misery. :( I struggled with it for a few years, but it's fine now. Now I understand my feet enough to know when there are warning signs telling me to stretch more and wear better shoes and I can usually stop a a flare-up before it really gets going.