Sign in to follow this  
harcourt™

Running: The running thread

I am signed up for a marathon in May and a half next month. I have been running 35-mile + weeks.

My calf is all sorts of fucked, though. I did a 14 mile run last week and ended up with those insane muscle spasms where it looks like something is moving around under your skin.

I won't be putting up time that will qualify me for Boston, but I still expect to finish under 4.

Great weather, though. Hard not to run. Hoping to get some runs in while on the road the next couple of weeks.

Managed 15 miles in just over 2 hours. Half of those were with the dogs, so that involves some stops. 

Still, I'm behind the game as the marathon is less than two weeks away. I should be getting some 20+ mile runs in and tapering down. 

I might just say fuck it and run the half. :( 

how often do you have soreness in either your leg muscles or feet/ankles/knees, harcourt?

I find that lately my feet hurt a lot at night and when I first wake up, even if i only ran 3 miles that day. meanwhile my leg muscles are almost never sore unless I truly pushed myself to my limit (typically only happens in an organized race) or if i do squats after a few weeks of not doing them cause leg days suck.

If your feet are hurting that could be a shoe / form issue. Is it just a dull pain or those toe curl cramps? Those are awful.

I really can't say enough good things about Brooks running shoes. Fuckers should pay me.

I scaled back my running quite a bit last year because of calf issues. Don't think it had to do with running. I think I fucked it up doing some winter mountaineering without decent rigid boots. Now I just say fuck it and run through it and hope I don't wake up in the middle of the night with monster calf cramps.

My ankles and knees are fine, amazingly. I played a lot of soccer and basketball and was always injuring them. Running has been fine for my joints. But if I play 20 minutes of basketball these days my knees are just worthless. Go figure.

I'm pushing 40, so I am sure a lot of what ails me is just normal aging bullshit.

All that said, I only get muscle soreness if I push myself. My run today was the longest run since I did a marathon 4+ years ago. I'll probably be sore tomorrow. But my usual 10-mile runs don't leave me with any soreness. I didn't run much this winter and I was incredibly sore after a measly 5K. 

Roger Sterling likes this

I was going to run yesterday but then Daydreaming was released and I spent the time I set aside freaking out on here. I blame you all for the continued existence of my fat ass.

On May 7, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Crestone said:

If your feet are hurting that could be a shoe / form issue. Is it just a dull pain or those toe curl cramps? Those are awful.

Just dull pain when I wake up in the middle of the forefoot area. Toe curls are terrible, but I've only had those randomly in like charley horse type situations.

i don't think it's my gait. People I've spoken with at the gym have told me I look pretty normal running. Also dont think it's my shoes, which are new asics with gel support (kayano model... Last year I had the saucony version of the same thing). I make sure to replace my running shoes once a year.

Don't overthink it. Go easy. I feel like a lot of people overdo it to start and give up. Sometimes a mile jog can make your legs and lungs scream "no"!

Find comfortable shoes and run a little bit at a time. It's not a lot of fun at first. But once you can get to the point where you run 5 miles a couple times a week you'll have increased your fitness level significantly. 

Ran a marathon yesterday. I wish I would have had another two weeks to train. :oops: 

Art Vandelay likes this

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM, mnemos said:

aye guys

i'm gonna start running. i never have before. i'm thinking it will be good for getting back in shape and maybe stress relief. gimme some basic pointers?

listen to music while you run

ughhh, i really wanted to but my phone was too heavy and was bouncing all around my pockets. i might get some kind of carrier if i feel like investing more money in this

i went for my first run yesterday and i felt like i was going to die afterwards. it was only around the neighborhood for like fifteen minutes and i needed to lay down for an hour afterwards :lolsad: definitely motivated me to get in better shape tho

It's never fun at first. But it's awesome and wonderful. 

Next time you run for 15, you'll feel a lot better. 

You should find one of those small iPods for cheap at a pawn shop and secure it with an elastic band. 

Art Vandelay likes this

22 hours ago, mnemos said:

ughhh, i really wanted to but my phone was too heavy and was bouncing all around my pockets. i might get some kind of carrier if i feel like investing more money in this

i went for my first run yesterday and i felt like i was going to die afterwards. it was only around the neighborhood for like fifteen minutes and i needed to lay down for an hour afterwards :lolsad: definitely motivated me to get in better shape tho

yeah i just use a little ipod shuffle and hold it when i run or put it on the treadmill

Ran my first half today :)

I wanted to finish in under 2 hours, but in the end I didn't come close (2:24). I had a few bad weeks of training when I should have been gearing up for 9-10 mile long runs, but instead I barely ran at all. Also fighting a cold currently but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. 

I was tracking to that time up until about mile 8, and then hit a wall. After that I died, and was fighting cramp for the last 2 or 3 miles. 

Next one should be better though!

harcourt likes this