Eliminator

Wilco (The Thread)

Were those other post-interlocken dates just announced, or have I not been paying attention? Two nights at the Capitol?! Sigh... There's no possible way. And that is a fabulous venue. AND there's a great hotel nearby with computerized toilets that open the lid automatically when you approach and with BUTT DRYERS.

i think i want wilco rarities more than anything else from them right now :rock:

Opinions like that are terrible, especially when a bands latest release was totally fine.

really because I feel like you'd be one of the first to advance the "better to release good shit that's already there than dumb new stuff" argument but whatever I guess.

you really feel that way about the YHF demos? I think those are about as essential to understanding that LP as anything, purely from a fan perspective. when you say "too much jay" you're right, in that when you hear the finished LP you're hearing just how much influence jim o'rourke wielded during that process, I think. 

plus there are just a ton of great songs there that don't exist elsewhere. cars can't escape, magazine called sunset, venus stopped the train, not for the season, etc. granted that last one turned into a loose fur track but it ain't the same.

I said "too much Jay" because that could be how Tweedy thinks about those demos, not because I dislike them. In fact, Venus Stop the Train is one of my personal favorites. But it is essentially a Bennett track and I wonder what Tweedys stance is wrt that these days.

And I'm okay with the b-side material being released, it's the classic "I rather have this instead of new stuff" part that bothered me.

never change theremin

i think i want wilco rarities more than anything else from them right now :rock:

Opinions like that are terrible, especially when a bands latest release was totally fine.

really because I feel like you'd be one of the first to advance the "better to release good shit that's already there than dumb new stuff" argument but whatever I guess.

you really feel that way about the YHF demos? I think those are about as essential to understanding that LP as anything, purely from a fan perspective. when you say "too much jay" you're right, in that when you hear the finished LP you're hearing just how much influence jim o'rourke wielded during that process, I think. 

plus there are just a ton of great songs there that don't exist elsewhere. cars can't escape, magazine called sunset, venus stopped the train, not for the season, etc. granted that last one turned into a loose fur track but it ain't the same.

I said "too much Jay" because that could be how Tweedy thinks about those demos, not because I dislike them. In fact, Venus Stop the Train is one of my personal favorites. But it is essentially a Bennett track and I wonder what Tweedys stance is wrt that these days.

id say as long as jeffs willing to write a check theres literally nothing stopping him from incluidng "too much jay" material. 

American Radiohead etc.

never change theremin

id say as long as jeffs willing to write a check theres literally nothing stopping him from incluidng "too much jay" material. 

Yeah but there was bad blood and lawsuits were filed etc but maybe Jay being dead now will ironically make things much easier ego-wise for Tweedy.

boof what the fuck is that, passenger side is great in part because of the drunkenly loping pace.

imagining it faster in my head rn and it sounds terrible. you have terrible ideas!!!

they also covered True Love Will Find You in the End which was pretty nifty.

Art of Almost didn't quite come alive like I always imagined it would... love the studio take of that song but something about the coda fell a little flat there. still good but there you are.

Impossible Germany ruled as hard as it always does... last time I saw them nels guitar wasn't quite loud enough and he got buried by tweedy and pat doin that riff, but last night it was perfect.

coulda done with a better closer than kingpin too...that's one of those where if you've seen it before there's kinda no point anymore.

otherwise it was a pf solid show.

boof what the fuck is that, passenger side is great in part because of the drunkenly loping pace.

imagining it faster in my head rn and it sounds terrible. you have terrible ideas!!!

I mean hey I'm not saying they should turn it into a jay reatard song or anything!!! I get what you mean, and I get the appeal of the half-drunk pacing but I don't think just slightly boosting up the tempo like I'm suggesting makes THAT big of a difference. anyway, it's just something I was thinking the other day when I was listening to it, maybe this one's just me okay!!!

I was all kinds of :hype: about that track when I first heard it but then you kinda realize it's just a stab at doing the ARTY ROCK SONG that they've otherwise displayed literally no interest in since firmly settling into dad sweatpants in 06 or whenever. like, I mean, I don't actually doubt the authenticity of that song, they probably think it's cool as fuck (and I do like it a lot), but at the same time there's a level of "ehhh why don't you just save yourselves the trouble."

yeah it definitely seems like a conscious choice to choose that as the lead-off track to the next album after w(ta), ostensibly to remind everyone they can be "arty" still or something like that. like you say I'm sure they actually enjoy it, but the line of thinking you mention has definitely occurred to me before.

I was all kinds of :hype: about that track when I first heard it but then you kinda realize it's just a stab at doing the ARTY ROCK SONG that they've otherwise displayed literally no interest in since firmly settling into dad sweatpants in 06 or whenever. like, I mean, I don't actually doubt the authenticity of that song, they probably think it's cool as fuck (and I do like it a lot), but at the same time there's a level of "ehhh why don't you just save yourselves the trouble."

this is why its so hilarious when people write off recent wilco material as safe

when they do get weird or whatever people say this

im not hating on you, i def see your point its just a dumb ol damned if you do sitch for these dads i guess

I guess I would write off that phenomenon as the byproduct of unrealistic expectations or something. and I guess I don't necessarily think it's entirely contradictory. @ shakes

YHF and AGIB are the outliers in their catalog. Wilco have never been an experimental band as much as they are a regular ol' rock band that got hooked on pills and Jim O'Rourke for a few years. And even then, neither of those are that out there at all, but shit like spiders and poor places and less than u think get weighted real real heavily.

at the same time, shit like WTA does comes off as "safe," because none of their records prior had sounded like each other. instead WTA is like wilco recycling day. being there is distinct from summerteeth is distinct from AM is distinct from sky blue sky. WTA, and the Whole Love to a lesser extent, do sound a bit like the band is resting on its laurels. not lazy, necessarily, but neither of those lps feel like they were made with much of a sense of urgency. I think that is what is really lacking from their most recent material, not weirdness. but that weirdness does sound like it was born of urgency, so I guess it's easy to conflate the two.

and I've never really clamored for them to return to doing drone shit or anything, necessarily. I mean yeah I joke about how it would be fun for tweedy to relapse and make a noise record or sth, and when you know that he/they are capable of doing surprising things, it is underwhelming when u get Capitol City.

my post about art of almost came off as a bit more harsh than I intended I guess, because honestly, I like that one a lot. 2nd best track on wta

e: exactly

never got why cap cities got so much shit

song is right up that yellow submarine alley where i literally think youre a monster if you dont like it

so fun :wub:

dammit shakes I love you  

I remember I got shat on for saying i like that song on atease at one point, and I was like "yeah I guess it's not that good :> " - but fuck that. it's a fun song that's tastefully done imo. one of my favorites off the whole love probs

i feel like the trying too hard to do an ARTY ROCK SONG thing applies more to bull black nova than art of almost, even if i like both

also i think that if whole love was released before w(ta) people would view it differently

like sky blue sky seemed to have been taken as a dad rock detour album and then when w(ta) came out, people were like "oh, this is what wilco is now" and didn't give whole love its due b/c of it, but it's a very good album