shakes

controversial thread - music edition

I never really got The Replacements either, as the alternative rock revolutionaries they were supposed to be.  Let It Be especially has way too much filler for me to think of it as anything like a great record, even some of the supposed classic tracks like "Androgynous" and "Answering Machine" just struck me as more theatrics than great music.

i mean, i expected some blowback.

i get that "canonical" is debatable, but that fucking Bright Eyes album.  you can find it on a lot of magazines/websites best of 2000-2009 lists, same as all of the other stuff that supposedly isn't canon, but like i said, it's relative.

despite ostensibly being a rock guy, a like a lot of dad/folk, but i do listen to a lot of Afropop, jazz, pre-war music, electronic and hip-hop.

i think the list just looks so bad because i put so many together at once instead of spreading them out.

To put myself in the fire, I quickly glanced at the Top 500 albums list and picked out these artists that don't do a whole lot for me aside from a handful of songs perhaps:

Pixies, The Clash, The Cure, Beastie Boys, Outkast, R.E.M.,The Walkmen, Wire, The Stooges/iggy pop, Tom Waits, Nirvana, Burial, DJ Shadow, Joy Division, Weezer (pinkerton is great, though), Van Morrison, Mingus, Interpol, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen, The Smiths/morrisey (worst band ever?), The Sonics, Cpt. Beefheart, Fugazi, Elvis Costello, Elliott Smith, Gram Parsons/burritos, gang of four, Ramones, the knife, almost all Britpop, almost all metal.  Oh, and Dylan is kind of meh except for Blood on the Tracks, should have let other people do his songs!  Felt good to get that off my chest.

waveswithin and harcourt™ like this

To put myself in the fire, I quickly glanced at the Top 500 albums list and picked out these artists that don't do a whole lot for me aside from a handful of songs perhaps:

Pixies, The Clash, The Cure, Beastie Boys, Outkast, R.E.M.,The Walkmen, Wire, The Stooges/iggy pop, Tom Waits, Nirvana, Burial, DJ Shadow, Joy Division, Weezer (pinkerton is great, though), Van Morrison, Mingus, Interpol, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen, The Smiths/morrisey (worst band ever?), The Sonics, Cpt. Beefheart, Fugazi, Elvis Costello, Elliott Smith, Gram Parsons/burritos, gang of four, Ramones, the knife, almost all Britpop, almost all metal.  Oh, and Dylan is kind of meh except for Blood on the Tracks, should have let other people do his songs!  Felt good to get that off my chest.

:cray:

that's what i'm saying.  list all of the stuff you don't care for when looking at a bunch of huge lists of "classic" stuff and you are going to look like an asshole.

for example, i like/love most of the stuff on deadlizard's list and some of you guys like/love most of the stuff on mine, although apparently i'm not alone on not "getting" The Replacements.

The Clash, The Cure, Nirvana, Weezer, Van Morrison, Interpol, Springsteen, gang of four, Ramones, almost all metal.  Oh, and Dylan is kind of meh except for Blood on the Tracks, should have let other people do his songs!  Felt good to get that off my chest.

agree with all of these

need to think of some hot takes to post itt at a later date

that's what i'm saying.  list all of the stuff you don't care for when looking at a bunch of huge lists of "classic" stuff and you are going to look like an asshole.

Yes.  But as much as we all like music it would be exhausting to like everything.

The Smiths are the big one for me I guess. I hate Billy Corgan's voice but that's not enough to make me dislike the Pumpkins really. 

Elvis Costello is another biggie.

Prince is vastly overrated, but he's still amazing.