shakes

controversial thread - music edition

the idea of the clash is cool but the music? eh.

this needs to be explained. what is "the idea of the clash?"

a lot of it is the way people hold joe strummer up as this genius political poet or something, even still. idk man im not gonna write you an essay here. people def deify him and the clash and i never got why them and why not some other punk band that sometimes mentioned political things :shrug:

some people might like them b/c they were the VOICE OF A GENERATION or something but i just think they wrote great songs  :shrug:

same with nirvana tbh, where all the other things besides the songs seem to define them which is partly why they get shit-tons of backlash - in the end all i care about is the music and i enjoy it for the most part

some people might like them b/c they were the VOICE OF A GENERATION or something but i just think they wrote great songs  :shrug:

same with nirvana tbh, where all the other things besides the songs seem to define them which is why they get shit-tons of backlash - in the end all i care about is the music and i enjoy it for the most part

this is fair tbh

at least in nirvanas case i get the lazy VOCIE OF A GENERATION tag. its dumb as heck but i can at least see where its coming from. i just dont see what the clash ever did to warrant that kind of fandom though

same with nirvana tbh, where all the other things besides the songs seem to define them which is why they get shit-tons of backlash - in the end all i care about is the music and i enjoy it for the most part

this is fair tbh

at least in nirvanas case i get the lazy VOCIE OF A GENERATION tag. its dumb as heck but i can at least see where its coming from. i just dont see what the clash ever did to warrant that kind of fandom though

to be fair I'm not like a diehard clash fan or anything, but I think the answer to your last thing is "they wrote a lot of good songs/records that resonated with many people for a variety of reasons." which is maybe broad enough to be a cop-out, but idk, just feels like you're being weirdly dismissive for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. 

this is fair tbh

to be fair I'm not like a diehard clash fan or anything, but I think the answer to your last thing is "they wrote a lot of good songs/records that resonated with many people for a variety of reasons." which is maybe broad enough to be a cop-out, but idk, just feels like you're being weirdly dismissive for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. 

yeah thats a total cop out tbh. the way the clash is talked about goes way beyond "they wrote good songs."

i dont think im being dismissive either. i even said i dig the clash a bit. just utterly perplexed at their stature, here and elsewhere :shrug:

the only thing i can picture when i think about nirvana is that tee shirt with the smiley face that every fat person seemed to own in 2001

tbh i think it's time we "kick the clash outta the canon" iykwias

this is fair tbh

yeah thats a total cop out tbh. the way the clash is talked about goes way beyond "they wrote good songs."

i dont think im being dismissive either. i even said i dig the clash a bit. just utterly perplexed at their stature, here and elsewhere :shrug:

I guess to further specify on that I'd add that they were able to meld a lot of disparate musical styles well, pulled off their political messaging eloquently and wrote a lot of just good ass songs in the process. they had longevity, presence, and were pretty singular I think.

I dunno, like, I hate the smiths, but I can recognize why they have a rabid following. just seems to me like what the clash did should be recognizable to most even if you're not a fan. apparently this is not true in your case, was just trying to get a better read on your take. 

In the 1976-1977 UK punk rock scene there's nobody I could remotely think of replacing them with.  I could sort of see someone here gunning for Buzzcocks, though I wouldn't really get it.  Wire were great but not representative at all.  Sex Pistols?  The Damned?  The Stranglers?  The Jam?  The Vibrators?  Eddie and the Hot Rods?  Skrewdriver?

this is fair tbh

I guess to further specify on that I'd add that they were able to meld a lot of disparate musical styles well, pulled off their political messaging eloquently and wrote a lot of just good ass songs in the process. they had longevity, presence, and were pretty singular I think.

I dunno, like, I hate the smiths, but I can recognize why they have a rabid following. just seems to me like what the clash did should be recognizable to most even if you're not a fan. apparently this is not true in your case, was just trying to get a better read on your take. 

but with the smiths its super obvious why they got such a following. teenage boys are a pissy emo bunch and moirrsey tapped into that vault masterfully. like hector said, cobains fame makes total sense. i just dont see the how the clash forged a similar fan connection is all. to me it just seems like clash diehards are just people who want to feel culturally aware so they latch on to one of the more popular bands to play the world music/politics card

this is fair tbh

but with the smiths its super obvious why they got such a following. teenage boys are a pissy emo bunch and moirrsey tapped into that vault masterfully. like hector said, cobains fame makes total sense. i just dont see the how the clash forged a similar fan connection is all. to me it just seems like clash diehards are just people who want to feel culturally aware so they latch on to one of the more popular bands to play the world music/politics card

guess I don't know many clash diehards IRL but I feel like the bold part is broadly applicable as well, the "world music/politics" card would be a blank space to play madlibs with.

im probably projecting there cuz i dont know too many clash diehards either (although ive come across many. one of dc's record stores is named after a clash song and the owner doesnt often shut up about joe strummer), but its literally the only thing i can think of that comes close to justifying the clash's popularity so im sticking by it

In the 1976-1977 UK punk rock scene there's nobody I could remotely think of replacing them with.  I could sort of see someone here gunning for Buzzcocks, though I wouldn't really get it.  Wire were great but not representative at all.  Sex Pistols?  The Damned?  The Stranglers?  The Jam?  The Vibrators?  Eddie and the Hot Rods?  Skrewdriver?

i think when i think of the UK punk rock scene i think of the sex pistols bc of their appeal - when i think of the clash i get confused as to what they actually did or were actually apart of, like when people are like "they changed r 'n' r" i genuinely get confused as to what they could possibly mean. at least with other examples often pointed to (the beatles etc) there are clear songs like helter skelter but as shown itt it's hard to find one here with them. i honestly wasn't impressed with them - i always feel like they are the who jr

wait what?? I don't understand what this is

is this like those weird rom hacks I used to download back in the day

It's a Doom total conversion of DKC-like levels, basically he/they remade a first-person shooter into a platformer.  The download links are in the description of the YouTube link, but you'll need gzdoom.

raise a toast to st joe strummer

-the hold steady

i'm all like "what" listening to that - i want to be like "YWAH DUDE" but i'm all like "well i could live without him tbh and i certainly don't think he should be canonized as previously discussed itt so"