Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

the WINE thread

https://www.ste-michelle.com/our-wines/2011-indian-wells-cabernet-sauvignon

That's my favorite red tbh.

http://www.antinori.it/en/26-generazioni/castello-della-sala/bramito-del-cervo-2011-0

This is my favorite white. Having some of that now and it's lovely. Dry but a hint of fruitiness. Hits all the rights spots that a chardonay should.

Used to be a massive Shiraz fan but now I can't find any that aren't unbearably sickeningly sweet and heavy.

Really into Portuguese reds right now. Especially from the Douro. 

Hmm, I don't know if I would describe them as sickeningly sweet, but they're definitely all heavy. Lovely spice notes afterwards though

Moon m8 are you more of a white guy? Never bought a bottle of white myself  :o

I tend to drink white when it's hot out and red when it's cold tbh. I think I skew towards white tbh but if I'm having some kind of pasta dish that goes well with red I'll definitely drink red.

Yeah I like dry reds, don't really do white unless it's champagne or something.

Have you ever tried vinho verde?

Portuguese "green" wine. It's a light white wine, slightly carbonated, with a slight greenish tinge. Most refreshing stuff ever. They serve it by the pitcher over there and it's dirt cheap. Amazing stuff.

I agree though, I rarely delve into whites, but when I do I like something like a Chablis or an Aligote. 

I don't really drink anything much at all these days. I really punished the casks (aka box wine) for a number of years but I just built up a tolerance and needed more and more.

So yeah, uh, no drinking problem here.

Have you ever dried vinho verde?

Portuguese "green" wine. It's a light white wine, slightly carbonated, with a slight greenish tinge. Most refreshing stuff ever. They serve it by the pitcher over there and it's dirt cheap. Amazing stuff.

I agree though, I rarely delve into whites, but when I do I like something like a Chablis or an Aligote. 

Never heard of it tbh but it sounds amazing, I'll have to keep an eye out

That's not too bad, actually. I'm kind of a thief and umm .. "received" a bunch of wine from work. When I looked them up at home they were all Italian wines from early 2000's and the cheapest bottle went for $75.

:ohsnap:

spent like $50 on red wine yesterday. no idea what i'm doing and still not sure what i like. well, i'm positive that i like pinot noirs, but other than that, no idea.

beringer cabernet sauvignon
kendall jackson syrah
mondavi pinot noir
francis coppola pinot noir

all 2012 i think

also was not feeling red wine after :smoke1: ing :shrug:

There was a little liquor store around the corner from where I lived in 2007 that had an amazing wine selection and nobody bought it (it was basically a lotto and 40 dispensary) except my roommates and me. We were getting bottles from the 80s for like $15. After about a year of going there it started to get really noticeable how bare the shelves were because they weren't replacing anything we bought

Isn't it an allergy to the phosphates that makes certain people get bad headaches from red wine? I've never had that problem but I have friends who feel mildly hung over if they have one glass and stop

I am prone to headaches with wine, but they are rarely severe.

Usually have to drink 3+ glasses and not drink water before bed.

A great brand for inexpensive wine is Bogle. It goes for $8 a bottle and is pretty good. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but it is better than most anything else in that price range.

Pinots and Malbecs are good wines, glad to see them mentioned here, but my favorite at the moment are Côtes du Rhône.

I am impenetrable to wine hangovers. I can drink like a good litre of red wine and feel fine the next morning.

And Fly Agaric, Côtes du Rhônes are amazing wines! I'm also a fan of Nuits St. Georges, but they're much harder to find outside of Europe.

Been drinking almost exclusively Shirazes and Malbecs for awhile now, probably time for a change tbh!

my favorite reds

Have you ever tried vinho verde?

would love to try this

spent like $50 on red wine yesterday. no idea what i'm doing and still not sure what i like. well, i'm positive that i like pinot noirs, but other than that, no idea.

beringer cabernet sauvignon

kendall jackson syrah

mondavi pinot noir

francis coppola pinot noir

all 2012 i think

also was not feeling red wine after :smoke1: ing :shrug:

yeah pinot noirs reliable and I've tried a syrah or two that left a good impression

I like white wine too esp when it's summer but it's been a while I kinda forget what I like

If I ever see house sangria on a menu I tend to order it

Had a really nice pinot noir from Napa last night. My girlfriend went on a trip to New York and smuggled back some good US wine.

You guys are fucking spoiled over there, you pay like half what we pay here for a good bottle.

Had a really nice pinot noir from Napa last night. My girlfriend went on a trip to New York and smuggled back some good US wine.

You guys are fucking spoiled over there, you pay like half what we pay here for a good bottle.

aren't you from MTL? you people can go to a convenience store to buy booze ffs